How do you clean a mirrored shield?

erikm12

Registered
I was cleaning my face shield yesterday when I noticed something like a scratch. Oh no! I rubbed a little harder and it got worse~! I was rubbing the coating off.
I use a micro towl (very soft) and pledge. Before I go riding if there are bugs on it I spray a little pledge on it and wipe.
The shield is just 1 year old. Is there a better way to clean it or can I expect to buy a new shield every year?

Well? how was it? Do you have fresh breath?

I wouldn't recommend it to friends... :banghead:

Back to the OP. I've had a few mirrored shields, I've always used Honda Polish on them, and haven't had any issues. I've since switched to plain 'ol dark smoke though. I hate trying to clean bugs off the mirrored ones and worrying about scratching.

Im shocked that you are scraching it with a micro fiber cloth. Maybe you should use soap and water and let the bugs soak a little longer before you start rubbing on them.

I kinda feel sorry for some of you that live in states where its mandatory to where helmets.
I love the choice, I think we should all have a choice.
Helmets are probably a great thing to have if you crash but many who crash is contributed to wearing helmets= poor vision, fog visor, heavy.
I have seen more deaths and they were all wearing helmets.

I kinda feel sorry for some of you that live in states where its mandatory to where helmets.
I love the choice, I think we should all have a choice.
Helmets are probably a great thing to have if you crash but many who crash is contributed to wearing helmets= poor vision, fog visor, heavy.

A lot of folks here do have the choice. They are smart and choose to.
I live in a state where, for reasons beyond me, give the choice to or not.
I myself can't imagine why anyone wouldn't and choose to always. Don't feel sorry for us!

Do you have any credible scientific data to support this statement or did you just think this up on your own to help you justify what many would call a very foolish decision to not where a helmet.

I would like to see your supporting documents.

I have always used Honda Polish and a micro fiber towel. Never had an issue, but I wipe my bike and my helmet down after every ride, while the bugs are still moist and juicy, they usually wipe right off. You can see everything on this white bike too.

Oh, and lets not start a great helmet debate in the visor thread please.

Ok here is a pic. Kinda hard to take with a mirror finish. The damage is about center/right.
Not really scratching but like its rubbing the finish off. I guess I'll try the warm water soap method.

helmet 003.JPG

Ok here is a pic. Kinda hard to take with a mirror finish. The damage is about center/right.
Not really scratching but like its rubbing the finish off.

Its not iridium is it? I heard those are bad about coming off.

Not sure. I got it last year. The bad thing is I just ordered one for my wife and a smoked for me for my other helmet. If I would have know I would have bought another one and been over the $100 mark for free shipping...:)

just use warm soapy water on the inside and plexus on the outside. Get your towel wet and leave it on the shield and helmet for a lil bit 5 mins should work and then clean with plexus and micro. It softens the bugs so they come right off other wise they are like llittle rocks

Back