Recommended dog breeds

dsbunton646

Registered
Ok, ladies and gentlemen I am thinking of getting another family dog. It has been a while since I have had a pet. My last dog was a black lab that I had for several years. After he died I just didn't want another pet. I work a lot and didn't think it was fair to have a pet and not spend time with it. Well my wife keeps bringing up the idea. Question is, which breed? I don't want any more labs, I've had black and yellow. Any suggestions from all you pet lovers? I have two kids 5 and 10 so that should be considered.

A Jack Russell terrier is a durable little dog that'll keep up with the young 'un's. Very intelligent to boot.

May I recommend paying your local dog a shelter a visit. Two of my best pets were rescued from shelters: a West Highland White Terrier (Westie) and a Dacshund

98c246e1.jpg

I think a well trained attack Chihuahua would be fine .
I have one and she is a special breed of 'Guerra Perra' (war dog)
Nips toes off with a single bite........better watch out when you visit.
Some come with ten but leave with only eight or nine :rofl:

it's simple....2 words. American Bulldog. Very loyal companions, fierce protectors, and awesome with kids.

We love our English Mastiff. A gentle giant that is smart and protective of his family. Read about them and you won't be dis appointed.

My wife talked me into the breed that we got, and if I had to write down what I expected from a pet, she has far exceeded it. I want another!

Golden retriever

I say a Beagle. Very gentle, good with kids and will rest when you want too. Typical hound dog. I have a female and she's quite. Males on the other hand howl and bark a lot.

I also have a Jack Russell. Not my choice if you have young kids. They are smart but not very tolerant when handled rough.

it's simple....2 words. American Bulldog. Very loyal companions, fierce protectors, and awesome with kids.

This is one of my top picks, but I have never owned or been around one for very long so I wasn't sure about the temperment.

Nice pics everyone. Keep em coming.

Last edited:
My ex has a dane and she is an amazing calm and sweet dog. I wont have anything other than labs or german shepards myself:thumbsup:

This is the ex's dane doing what she does best, keep in mind she is 180 pounds:poke:

abbs.jpg

Rotti. Will guard the house,give its life to protect the kids,pretty durable all weather dog,smart.

RSD.

rip.jpg

Depends on how big of a dog you want...

Not sure I want to have to get a loan to feed one.:laugh: but size isn't really an issue. Probably don't want a bull mastiff or anything that size, but small medium or semi-large. I live out of town and we have 2.5 fenced acres. Do the american bulldogs shed alot? My buddy has several english bulldogs and they seem to shed pretty bad. Pitts, rotts, and possibly shepards probably won't work because of my home owners insurance.

Back