Loud bikes are killing off motorcycles in the US

MelodicMetalGod

Registered
Keep those pipes loud and this will continue to spread across the land:

NorthEndWaterfront.com - Home - Motorcycle Noise Ordinance OnTrack

Just the past 4th, I was hangin' with family on the front porch in 100% residential neighborhood and along come two SUPER LOUD bikes. We could tell they were loud from over 1/2 mile away. By the time they were within 1/4 mile we couldn't continue conversation without shouting and as they passed our house we it was pointless to try to talk at all. I was annoyed, my family was annoyed and looking down the street, everyone that I could see in the hood was annoyed.

Loud pipes don't save lives...they kill motorcycling.

Kill motorcycling? Thats a bit (HUGE understatement) rough and well in reality not true. Since I put on my Tailwinds exhaust I have YET to come across a car who tried to move over into my lane and almost end up running me over. When I had my stock exhaust, it happened daily.

So, Loud pipes SAVE lives.

Sportbikes or Harleys? I'm guessing they were the latter being your measurement in 1/4-miles. :whistle:

Fully agreed. Those with loud bikes made us look bad as well. We have a neighbor about 5 houses down the road with a very loud Harley and every now and then he has 2 other Harleys come to visit and not only the pipes were loud but their radio can be heard from a block away... When they are together they would take their own sweet time to warm up their bike and as loud as they can annoying everyone in the neighborhood. I can see some toddlers even got panic and cried when they pass by...

My Busa has stock cans yet some neighbors gave me a look as if my bike makes the same noise... ???

Kill motorcycling? Thats a bit (HUGE understatement) rough and well in reality not true. Since I put on my Tailwinds exhaust I have YET to come across a car who tried to move over into my lane and almost end up running me over. When I had my stock exhaust, it happened daily.

So, Loud pipes SAVE lives.

Understood. However, you can achieve the same effect with a horn that is used only as needed.

Sportbikes or Harleys? I'm guessing they were the latter being your measurement in 1/4-miles. :whistle:

Custom/bobber type bikes. Not sure what they were other than ridiculously loud. And yes, they were not going particularly fast and they were still that loud. At least sport bikes tend to be relatively quiet at residential speeds. These things were loud while at idle.

Well, there you go. Then they HAVE to be loud. Otherwise the deaf riders won't know the engine is running. :laugh:

The worst part is that these "noise" laws are all specific towards motorcycles, leaving the much more common/numerous cages to make all the noise they desire! :mad: Obviously the noise laws against bikes are only partially about the noise - many folks just want 'em gone period. Which is exactly why we need to not give them the excuse of running loud all the time.

when i'm on the busa cars drift into my lane all the time. doesn't happen on my harley (which is tame compared to some of the sportbikes). i'm going to guess you've never owned a bike with louder pipes

when i'm on the busa cars drift into my lane all the time. doesn't happen on my harley (which is tame compared to some of the sportbikes). i'm going to guess you've never owned a bike with louder pipes

Never owned a v-twin but my first bike was a 1973 CB350 and the pipes were pretty much straight and there were no regs for a bike of that era. It was loud enough that my next door neighbors, after about a month, informed me that when I left every morning that that my bike was waking their infant child. They very politely asked if there was any way that I could do something to lesses/limit the noise of the bike. The solution that we agreed on was that I would bump start the bike down the street (we lived on hill). Never had another issue. But then, I wasn't running loud pipes to be heard in the first place. Oh, and I had plenty of issues with folks trying to drive into me on that bike, even with all of it's loudness.

as usual its the small group of people abusing things that effect the majority of us.....

Yep. The trouble is that while it may be a small group writing the laws, there is quite a large portion of the population that will support such laws since so many folks have, at one time or another, experienced the annoyance of an excessively loud bike.

I have to dissagree as well. Whe I had stock pipes, then the Yoshi slip ons, people didn't hear me, and of course most drivers (especially here in AZ) don't look for ****. So my shorter, louder pipes have made people a little more aware. I also drive at night with my high beam on, and people piss and moan about it being bright. My response is "That means you actually saw me, good."

All of this is AFTER I've been rear ended, at a dead stop on a bright blue bike in the middle of a sunny day. I want to do whatever i have to now to get people to pay attention to me being there, so that never happens again. It sucked, and I thought I was going to die, rear ended by a Honda Accord at 45+mph, while I was stopped..

I like loud pipes but loud pipes do not like me. I had to add baffles to my exhaust to tone them down some.

There is no substantiated evidence proving that loud pipes save lives. The use of obnoxiously loud exhaust systems has done more harm to our sport than good. If are not responsible for our own actions, don't be suprised by increased legislation targeting people like us. There are federal noise standards for a reason.

I run the pipes on my vtx with no baffles! I run my busa with yosh pipes and no muffler! you must be a bleeding heart tree hugger. nobody around here minds, not the neighbors or the cops! so bit me! and loud pipes have saved many lives.:moon::moon::moon:

I run the pipes on my vtx with no baffles! I run my busa with yosh pipes and no muffler! you must be a bleeding heart tree hugger. nobody around here minds, not the neighbors or the cops! so bit me! and loud pipes have saved many lives.:moon::moon::moon:

There is no proof. Show me. You can't. :rofl:

i'd guess there's no proof that loud pipes don't save lives either! and 1/4 mile away those bikes were disrupting your conversation? try that theory out at your local dragstrip.

am with you MMG... have been in towns that did this and anyone that has ever driven a big truck will tell you that the azzhats with the 8" straight pipes and a jake have pretty much banned every tractor trailer from using engine brakes.. 1% of the clowns have affected the other 99% of the responsible guys..

arguing with guys that believe the "loud pipe" thing is like pounding sand... the "Look at me" syndrome is too deep...

in time, you will find that most are young singles without kids.. as maturity sets in, they start to see the pluses and minuses of each... Just takes time.. was there at one time myself.. about the time I turned mid 20's, I wised up myself..

Just hope that they respect quiet neighborhoods in the mean time.. (is sort of like playing your loud stereo in your own driveway, lets every crook within earshot know where the booty is) :laugh:

TS001Ox.jpg

Last edited:
Back