Had huge issues today, could've ended worse off

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Okay, long post here trying to get all the info and specifics I can for some feedback hopefully.

Was in the 70s here today, rode for 45 minutes before any problems started. Recent work done to the bike was spark plugs 20 miles ago, galfer brakes and brake lines yesterday. Rechecked all fuel connections when doing work.

After the first leg of the ride I started getting weird throttle response, delayed revs in 2nd and 3rd gear, by that I mean I would shift up from 2nd, and the revs would drop to idle even though I had the throttle at 3-5k each time, but then all of a sudden the throttle would connect and I would shoot off quickly (scary seeing as the busa is still fairly new to me). After doing this a few times, it started dying both in a coast and at a stop. Myself and a 02 sv650s split from the group at this time to try and limp my bike home. My battery got to the point it wouldn't crank. After sitting for 20 minutes on the side of the road we thought we should switch batteries to rule that out before I get my bike towed (thank god for the stock toolpouch). With his battery my bike started, and my battery had the juice to start his. So at this point I am thinking perhaps engine temperature somehow has something to do with my problem, since my battery worked in his, and his in mine after mine cooled down a bit. My engine temp needle did not go about the halfway mark throughout the whole ride, but I have seen it due that a couple times (muzzy is on the way as a starter, I am tackling cooling system next).

At this point I get it home, start to trouble shoot. Decide to pull a spark plug to see what they look like because I figure the problem is either air, fuel, or electrical causing the odd problems. The plugs look fine, but the boots were a little loose, when I put them back on I pushed them to the first pop, but realized today that they could go down another 2 or 3, so I tightened them up. Airfilter still looks clean as new, put that all bike. Fuel lines....well here is one the problem that created a huge mess for me and the one that I fixed today. The fuel line coming out of the bottom of the tank on the left side (so when sitting on the bike, the forward nub on the bottom of it). Which I think is the return line, had a small leak. After messing with it a bit, and creative a huge mess....I end up taking the line off and draining 3 gallons of gas into a bucket and insuring that my garage will wreak of fuel for the foreseeable future. Long story short here, I replaced the line with a fresh one, and afterwards Busa started and rode fine in 2nd gear without any delay of power.

So, my question is....what is my problem? Could the fuel line cause all of this problems? If so why did my battery die? I considered my tranny being bad because of the delay in acceleration, but still doesn't explain battery. Considered my charging system being bad (stator?) but would that create the delay in power?

All help and input is appreciated, if you have any other questions let me know. I am just trying to figure this out. Could've been much worse had I not gotten it home, or the fuel leak occurred somewhere other than the garage. I tried to find the exact hose on ronayers but don't see it on the fuel **** or fuel tank diagrams.

:please:

Sounds like the new fuel line will fix it.
That would do what you describe.
I don't think it is a tranny problem, and you should do a load test on the battery to satisfy yourself.
That may have just been a coincidence happening at the same time.
Drive it now and see if it is better and let us know.

Battery that I had was actually new from two weeks ago from the local battery warehouse, so can't rule it out being bad, but then the SVs battery worked.....

Sounds to me like your bike had one heckuva hissy fit. I've never experienced anything like that myself; let's just hope it doesn't come back!

D

The fuel system depends on being able to hold pressure in order to function properly. Anything that interferes with that, such a a cracked line, will cause problems with the bikes ability to perform. As for the battery, how many times did you restart the bike in a short timespan? The smaller bike won't require as much juice to turn it over. And a hot starter requires more power than a cold starter. Heat increases resistance in copper.

+1 on Busawhipped's comment. Depending on how loose the plug boots were, that might have had an effect as well.

I think you fixed both your problems and the battery will be fine once it's fully charged. Fuel Line and plug boots :thumbsup:

definitely Sounds like a fuelt pressure issue, via the cracked line as already explained. The battery thing is probably from you cranking on it... 1+ on what the other people said. You could always pressure check the fuel system, but I bet that was the problem.

Hopefully, I will be keeping it close for the next few rides, certainly hope it fixed it. Thanks for all the info guys.

UPDATE: Throttle problem still exists, gas leak is gone

Went for a ride today, acted fine at 1st, bike fine in 1st and 2nd I rode it to gas station and put it two gallons of 92 from a different gas station than I went to before in case it was bad gas. 5 minutes later the throttle delay then surge returned. Limped it home barely dying about 5 times along the way, however could restart it if I gave it a lot of gas, kept it running at 2k+ going home. Died when I get there though, and would not restart. First thing I did was recheck the hose I replaced, still all dry under the tank.

Battery read 12.8 when it was dead, so I assume it is still recharging? Could not get bike restarted to get a reading of it when running, but that should be 13.5 about right? Roommate is thinking it might be fuel injectors or fuel filter? So he thinks I should try injector cleaner? Anyone have any input? Really would like to figure this out, not sure how to troubleshoot anymore.....

Back