What would cause this cupping~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
The toy hauler is only a 2009 model with not that many miles on it. Pulled it out today to get ready to race in a couple weeks and the tires are shot...cupped out really bad on both sides of the tire but only the trailing edge of the tread.

The tires read 65lb max inflation. They are reading 55lbs inflated. Trailer is about 9500-10000lbs loaded with bikes, fluid, and gear.

I really really do not like this brand of tire~!~ (But they seem to come stock on about everything)

100_5459.jpg

100_5460.jpg

100_5461.jpg

100_5462.jpg

100_5463.jpg

100_5464.jpg

You'll get several answers and opinions on how to rotate tires, and I'll probably get flamed for this. I've always had good luck rotating 4x4 tires in an X pattern, even though it does change the rotation. I've also know a couple people that do this on 4 wheel trailers(campers) at the first signs of wear, or at 3k to 5k miles intervals. The tire brand themselves aren't ideal, but simple rotation seems to help alot. Yes, even though they aren't being moved to steering wheels that help change the wear pattern.
Most trailers seem to do more sitting than rolling too, flat spotting a tire may not be noticeable during the ride, but doesn't help things either.
Tire pressure doesn't seem to be a huge problem either, as the tread depth looks pretty even. If anything, maybe adding a couple pounds.:beerchug:

You'll get several answers and opinions on how to rotate tires, and I'll probably get flamed for this. I've always had good luck rotating 4x4 tires in an X pattern, even though it does change the rotation. I've also know a couple people that do this on 4 wheel trailers(campers) at the first signs of wear, or at 3k to 5k miles intervals. The tire brand themselves aren't ideal, but simple rotation seems to help alot. Yes, even though they aren't being moved to steering wheels that help change the wear pattern.
Most trailers seem to do more sitting than rolling too, flat spotting a tire may not be noticeable during the ride, but doesn't help things either.
Tire pressure doesn't seem to be a huge problem either, as the tread depth looks pretty even. If anything, maybe adding a couple pounds.:beerchug:

Like 6 pack said, you’re going to get a lot of different answers for this. Radial tires are not supposed to be rotated in an X pattern because it does change the rotation of the tire which can cause separation of the belts. I work at a construction company where we have at least 12 different trailers and the couping you have is caused by a few different things. Number 1, try to center the load directly over the axels, this will keep the trailer from bouncing while pulling it down the road. Secondly you should be maxing out the tire pressure when you have a full load, and lastly replace them with a better brand and make sure you rotate them every 3-5K.

Like 6 pack said, you’re going to get a lot of different answers for this. Radial tires are not supposed to be rotated in an X pattern because it does change the rotation of the tire which can cause separation of the belts. I work at a construction company where we have at least 12 different trailers and the couping you have is caused by a few different things. Number 1, try to center the load directly over the axels, this will keep the trailer from bouncing while pulling it down the road. Secondly you should be maxing out the tire pressure when you have a full load, and lastly replace them with a better brand and make sure you rotate them every 3-5K.

I agree, and I wasn't as specific as I should have been either. Changing direction on a radial tire is not ideal, nor is running a cupped tire. A new tire is always best, but changing the rotation of a cupped tire is the only way to smooth it out some. That or a good burnout:laugh:

Here's a couple more pics to show the cupping a little better...I would agree with rotation on dual axle trailers mostly due to the wheels being dragged in a turn differently. These tires really don't have enough miles on them to even think about rotation yet.

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

That sucks man, but before you replace them have some fun with them. If you're lucky you have a four wheeler with the same lug pattern. They make for great burnouts! We used to get spare tires free at the junkyards and burn em down!:laugh:
Sorry, just tryin to make the best of a bad situation.

I personally hope that the air pressure was just too low while loaded...My worries came when an allignment place said they were out of allignment ( a guy I trust) but he couldn't fix it and sent me somewhere else.
There is really no way to load balance on this hauler because either you run empty at 7500lbs, wet at about 8000lbs sloshing, or loaded with bikes and gear with the extra 2000 lbs in the garage area in the rear.
The axles on this trailer are closer to the rear to support the garage area, as in most toy haulers

That sucks man, but before you replace them have some fun with them. If you're lucky you have a four wheeler with the same lug pattern. They make for great burnouts! We used to get spare tires free at the junkyards and burn em down!:laugh:
Sorry, just tryin to make the best of a bad situation.

I know it, LoL...what really stinks is I just replaced 4 tires on another trailers with some nice Michs

Air pressure and proper tire balance is key. It could also be that the axels are welded on crooked. We have had 3 over the years that came from the factory like that and they eat tires when there like that but that’s not what I think you have, Cupping is usually air pressure and tire balance. Feathering is what you would see with un square axels.

That was a big worry, was bent or crooked axles...I took it by the spring works shop but the pro wasn't in at the time.

Really hoping just not enough air pressure for the load, just a weird cup to occur and exactly even on all 4 tires. Don't want to go dropping another $700 (load range D) on tires to happen again because of something else going on.

BTW...I assume that 0708 means they were actually made in July '08, right~?~

BTW...I assume that 0708 means they were actually made in July '08, right~?~

0708...is not July '08

First two #'s are the week of the year...the range is 01-52...01 is the first week of January...52 is the last week of December. So 0708 is early Febuary 2008.

Rotate your tires and keep an eye on the pressure...you can rotate them in any pattern you wish...modern tires are only directional if there is a specific tread pattern for water dispersement.
Posted via Mobile Device

i wish i knew what i was looking for because i dont know what cupping is and dont see anything unusual with the tire...

i wish i knew what i was looking for because i dont know what cupping is and dont see anything unusual with the tire...

The second row of tread (both inside and out) still have like new tread on one side of the block, but worn smooth tread on the other side of the block pattern.

I know some are saying to keep an eye on the air pressure, but that's one thing I'm looking for here is...go higher or what~?~

I actually do keep an eye on the pressure, but thought 55lbs was pretty good...I now don't think it was enough but yet I've seen these heavy haulers blow out the tread if running real high pressure, sooo

The wear pattern is pretty standard for a dual axel trailer. Since the trailer does not have the ability to turn the wheels from side to side or have a differential to compensate for the inside wheel when turning, the tires drag around the a turn. The wear pattern to see is from the tire being drug sideways. Should have seen my trailer tires after a couple of trips to the dragon. My trailer tires look just like that, and I always check the tire pressure before it moves out of my driveway.

My trailer tires look just like that, and I always check the tire pressure before it moves out of my driveway.

What pressure would you run on a 10,000 lb trailer~?~

I was looking at them again and notice even though they are load rated D that they are only 4 ply...I think they must stick the cheapest tires on them they can find to get them off the lot.

The tires I am having installed tomorrow are still load rated D but are 8 ply.

I just took a tape measure to make sure the axles are not out of allignment and they seem to be ok...measuring from the rear corner of the trailer to the center of the hub on each axle.

My toyhauler [ 1999 Fleetwood] sounds very similar to yours in weight and axel location. I've had good luck w/the tires BUT- the manufactures put crappy tires on their rigs to save $. I upgraded to load range E last time but trying to find a trailer tire thats NOT made in craphole China is hard to do. I usually ran my tires [ same size as yours ] at 65 Lbs. Maxxis seems to be the preffered brand on rv.net [a good site for all toyhauler info and Questions] and many toyhaulers have put light truck tires on as you have more non Chinese crap selections. Again good info on rv.net- they've helped me alot.
They have a whole section dedicated to toy haulers A-Z

I had some 10 ply load range E tires installed. I think they'll make a huge difference.

new tires 1.jpg

new tires 2.jpg

Back