Wind effects

I do a lot of mileage on upright naked bikes, GSX1400, B-King, Streetfightered Busa, Bandit 1200 etc. Faired bikes like my GSXR and Busa’s mean there’s never any issue with wind buffering. Unless it’s ridiculous side wind that would upset any bike, I find the Busa one of the better bikes for wind protection and stability.

The last Busa I bought had Angel GT2’s recently fitted. Although I have my favourite tyres, whatever a bike comes with I normally wear out before fitting my own. The Angel GT2’s were the first tyre in a long time I’ve removed due to how bad I found them. Initially I thought it was just me and my narrow minded preferences, reading up and talking to other riders the GT2’s get a lot of negative feedback, not just for being a hard touring Tyre but for the design of the front. I’m told that the 2’s have been dropped from some markets where the original and better Angst GT is still on sale.
I wouldn’t put them on my bikes if they were a dollar each with free fitting.

View attachment 1679012
I'm one of those "crazies" that like Bridgestone tires....I've ridden with them since '84 or so....even before the radial days....

I'm going back to Bridgestone this spring from the Michelins I tried....

I'm one of those "crazies" that like Bridgestone tires....I've ridden with them since '84 or so....even before the radial days....

I'm going back to Bridgestone this spring from the Michelins I tried....
I used to chop and change but now I’m a 100% S22 fan-boi. Can’t fault them. Had them on my H2, now my Gen-2 and Gen-3 Busa. Folk tell me X or Y tyres are better, but I’m very familiar with the 22’s, twice winner of Sportsbike Tyre Of The Year, and they offer all the grip, handling and stability I can use on the street. I’m due another soon so there’s an S23 in the store with my name on it waiting.

ED91ED1F-2144-4145-8D93-F7721EA75F8D.jpeg

The last Busa I bought had Angel GT2’s recently fitted. Although I have my favourite tyres, whatever a bike comes with I normally wear out before fitting my own.

I'm guilty of that too. My Busa has a battleaxe on the rear so I don't push it too hard. To my mind if you want the true sport out of the sport-tourer you have to put sport tires on the bike not road tires. Sure the range is less but they allow me to get the most out of the bikes handling, you can certainly lean in more. I'll go with Michelin Powers probably.

Last edited:
I'm guilty of that too. My Busa has a battleaxe on the rear so I don't push it too hard. To my mind if you want the true sport out of the sport-tourer you have to put sport tires on the bike not road tires. Sure the range is less but they allow me to get the most out of the bikes handling, you can certainly lean in more. I'll go with Michelin Powers probably.

Absolutely. I’m 100% sure I can find tyres with a longer life that’d be OK if I ride slow and steady. I’m blessed with fast fun roads in all directions and very little traffic or cops where I now live, so I accept short tyre life as the price I pay for fun on every ride. The King isn’t on S22’s but it will be soon!

5E6CAD9F-93B0-443A-9483-2FB7F1C7801C.jpeg

Absolutely. I’m 100% sure I can find tyres with a longer life that’d be OK if I ride slow and steady. I’m blessed with fast fun roads in all directions and very little traffic or cops where I now live, so I accept short tyre life as the price I pay for fun on every ride. The King isn’t on S22’s but it will be soon!

North of Briso? What roads are those, not Mt Mee et el surely, too many cops there, further north? I'm out by Aratula

I bought my 2017 busa with new pilot power 5s and I like them so far. I feel next go around I may go with some sport touring rubber. I am not an aggressive rider and ride 2 up a lot so I think it would be best for the riding I do.

In 06 I tried a Pilot Power on the rear. Worked beautifully but wore out around 3,000 miles. Dual compound sport touring tires are best for sure.

Sounds about right, they do wear out faster. Not as fast as the race ones though, I'd not waste my $$$ on them. To me the tire is the most important part of the system and I like to be surefooted. With the sport tires I never go right to the edge in my normal activity so I have that bit extra I can rely on if I screwup and find myself too hot into a corner. With the longer lasting harder road tires I go right to the edge, nothing left. I think single vehicle accidents in corners is the major, or one of the major, causes of all bike crashes. It's those I want to avoid with the sticky tires.

I've decided to replace the rear tire to match the new front. Looks simple to remove the rear wheel but never dealt with the cush drive before. Going to replace the cush while I'm in there with poly bushings from Schnitz. Anything I need to look out for while doing the job?

I've decided to replace the rear tire to match the new front. Looks simple to remove the rear wheel but never dealt with the cush drive before. Going to replace the cush while I'm in there with poly bushings from Schnitz. Anything I need to look out for while doing the job?
Just make sure you use WD-40 or some sort of lube to get the sprocket carrier back in because the new cush drive rubbers are tight....

Just make sure you use WD-40 or some sort of lube to get the sprocket carrier back in because the new cush drive rubbers are tight....
Service manual doesn't mention it but should I remove the wheel speed sensor before I drop the wheel? Looks like a good idea to keep from boogering it up.

Back