High speed

I'm suspecting wide for this. Doesn't sound right to me. If it hit at 150, the rotationals are out or it would be wobbling at 110 etc... True as you accelerate the forces are exponentially greater, got it, thus I'll say sheer force wind. Doesn't take a whole lot to disturb the aerodynamics of the bike/rider.

At high speeds and winds you will get an occasional wobble...nothing to sweat. The bike handles it, however if it gets worse then you may have an alignment or other problem.

Guys, remember I have only experienced this shimmy (probably better than wobble) when changing lanes @ extreme speeds on highway, not straight lines. I still continue to throttle on and have never backed out of it to see if it would continue at even high speeds. So far I have pegged the speedo in the 195 to 200mph range (corrected speed prob 180ish )but have only felt this when changing lanes and I have to admit it's a bit unnerving.

Whateva I find out I will definitely let u guys know. Maybe it was the wind sheer!

Warchild, it was on a 4 lane highway here in ATL
Ah.... Atlanta.  Ok, got'cha now......
winkold.gif

Only problem I see is getting a dealership technician to duplicate your problem under the same conditions you experienced them.  
cool.gif

Regardless, if your problem gets sorted, do tell us what that did to the bike, should others start seeing the same issue.
The guy who works on my bike at this particular dealership runs a 04 gixer1000 pro street setup with turbo. He eta's in low 7's.

He's got them screwed on pretty tight and is up for the challenge. Will see.

Get your head down and your high speed quivers will probably go away!

Guys, remember I have only experienced this shimmy (probably better than wobble) when changing lanes @ extreme speeds on highway, not straight lines. I still continue to throttle on and have never backed out of it.
My take on this is that the answer is in your description of the problem. You are wiggling a little when you are changing lanes, I would consider this normal and would not consider it unusual. I expect/anticipate a little squirmy drift when changing lanes even at 80-90 mph much less a buck and a half. My 08 is solid at speed but still slides around a bunch I think mostly because the roads are kinda cold and the tires are not that sticky.

Secondly I think you are a smart and experienced rider for staying in the throttle through the shimmy, if you freaked and let off like a less experienced rider might do, this little shimmy shake could turn into a big ol TANK SLAPPER.

Most of us have seen good riders on the track turn tank slappers into another day at the office by using the old rule " when in doubt, gas it out" .  
peace.gif

peace.gif

peace.gif

peace.gif

peace.gif

make sure you have your suspension setup right. Have you already adjusted it for your weight? The tuck could mean either it's aero related, weight (cg) related, or it's caused by something being out of balance.

If it's aero related you may be able to adjust the height/pitch to over come it.

If it's weight related some suspension tunning may improve things. These two things may be related to each other. As an example, a 180lb rider rides your bike. and his weight is spread F/R 40%/60% so the bikes pitch doesn't change much while riding. Now put a 240lb rider same weight bias and now the suspension in the rear will travel more and sit lower. It'll do more work than the front. This can cause the front to be high, which can increase the instability at high speeds. Check your suspension setup and get it dialed in with you on it in full gear.

Out of balance can be checked on a wheel balancer. You keep the entire rotating assembly together (rotors n all) so if anything is out of wack the weights equalize things. Have them recheck your wheel balance.

Check all your bolts ex: swingarm, axle front and rear, engine, sprockets and everything involved with the movement of the bike. I weigh around the same and I have never had that prob. on my 01' especially when I lowered my bike it was even better at high speeds. Another thing that would cause it is loss of friction from either tire condition or road condition.

I know you think I'm being funny about getting your head down? I'm not! I've seen this a number of times. I actually experienced this same effect a number of years ago on a gixxer1000. At high speed WOT I was getting intermitent head shake just like you when entering a turn. Didn't do it constantly, just on occasions. I had an old antique racer follow me around the track a few laps. He gave me that "Get your head down and your head shake will go away"! He was correct!

I highly doubt it's your bike unless you have done some sort of mod that may have upset your suspension.

Give it a shot! You've nothing to loose!

To the dealer I would go. I had a similar issue with a Shinko rear Advance 005. My old gal does fine up to 180

Max_Speed.jpg

Im thinking its Road Crown. try going left or right within the same lane, and if it does not act up, then it has to be the seam in the road between lanes.
thumb_up.gif
good riding!

Mine is very stable at all speeds.

Check the following or better yet since its an 08 have dealer do it.

Head/fork bearings
wheel alignment
Defective tires

It is more than likely the head stock bearings had same problem with my R1 at 160mph changed them and all back to normal

Back