Wind effects

Check the steering neck bearings, as they may need snugged.
Also check the wheel bearings for play, they should be ok at 15k, but can still fail.
Either, especially the steering neck bearings being loose, can make the bike wander in the lane, no matter what you do.
This can be slight, more apparent in wind, and definately when passed by a truck.
I would eliminate those as problems first.

Check the steering neck bearings, as they may need snugged.
Also check the wheel bearings for play, they should be ok at 15k, but can still fail.
Either, especially the steering neck bearings being loose, can make the bike wander in the lane, no matter what you do.
This can be slight, more apparent in wind, and definately when passed by a truck.
I would eliminate those as problems first.
Neck bearings difficult to check?

Yes, just started noticing it. Refilled the damper recently
Going to sound like an odd question but has this happened on the same stretch of road.....what I mean is how is the road surface?

Sometimes if you are on uneven pavement and hit wind gusts it affects it differently than clean, smooth pavement...

Just spit-balling and trying to rule out any environmental factors....

Mine gets blown around from time to time in different conditions....

Wind , side winds have a great deal of impact on these bikes. I’ve actually completely changes lanes before. You’re riding a small piece of plywood down the road. Passing a tractor trailer is al ways fun too. When you pass the front wheel you’re gonna move.

35 cold. No but I've had this one for a while.

Good, at least you’re not skittering around due to high psi. When passing a semi I sometimes get sucked towards the truck if I’m too close (I’ve never been passed by one) :) and only strong side winds have affected me at times. There’s no place where side winds can pass thru on faired bikes. Do you experience this during the first hour of riding or always?

Neck bearings difficult to check?

You can check the tightness of the lock ring and top nut under the upper triple clamp.
You can also hold the front brake, and ease out the clutch, but not completely.
You will be able to feel excessive slack, and/or hear a knocking sound at the steering neck, if the nut is excessively loose or the bearings are worn.
If the bearings are worn, tapered bearings are better replacements than the stock ball bearings.

Everyone is exactly right
The only thing I want to add is my own experience with the Angel GT 2 tires. Because of the way the tread is on the front tire with the 2 grooves going all the way down the center. I noticed that the front tire would follow imperfections in the road and was pretty scary on grooved pavement.
I had these tires on a 2014 Triumph Trophy before I bought the Hayabusa.

Nobody is wondering why a guy on a Busa is getting passed by big trucks?

God those were the days!
1706746716143.gif

Going to sound like an odd question but has this happened on the same stretch of road.....what I mean is how is the road surface?

Sometimes if you are on uneven pavement and hit wind gusts it affects it differently than clean, smooth pavement...

Just spit-balling and trying to rule out any environmental factors....

Mine gets blown around from time to time in different conditions....
Everywhere. Roads here are decent but not great

You can check the tightness of the lock ring and top nut under the upper triple clamp.
You can also hold the front brake, and ease out the clutch, but not completely.
You will be able to feel excessive slack, and/or hear a knocking sound at the steering neck, if the nut is excessively loose or the bearings are worn.
If the bearings are worn, tapered bearings are better replacements than the stock ball bearings.
Thanks. Will try that

Everyone is exactly right
The only thing I want to add is my own experience with the Angel GT 2 tires. Because of the way the tread is on the front tire with the 2 grooves going all the way down the center. I noticed that the front tire would follow imperfections in the road and was pretty scary on grooved pavement.
I had these tires on a 2014 Triumph Trophy before I bought the Hayabusa.
Yea, I get that even at low speed. What tires would not do that?

Yea, I get that even at low speed. What tires would not do that?
Any tire that does not have a straight groove down the center like that. I have had that happen to me on cruisers too. My father had a bridgestone like that on a vstar sv650 classic he had that did that and another on a Triumph rocket 3 I had with a dunlop elite front. If it has those long grooves going down the middle like that its a solid no for me. On my 17 hayabusa I bought I have pilot power 5s and they are great tires so far. I have also ridden on dunlop roadsmart tires and different generations of michelin pilot road 2's and up with good luck on my VFR.

Back