What type of turbo to go with

glassmaster

Registered
Ok First let me say I made a comment in a thread about riding alot of curves and deciding not to go turbo b/c of it. There was some guys talking about if you think you will loose your suspension b/c you go turbo well your wrong. Well anyway thats not my concern and never has been. My concern is being in a curve at 6K+ rpm going 100+ that I would loose traction b/c of the boost. Alot of the guys I ride with say it cant be done without wiping out. They are the 2 or 3 guys that are always in front of me running at least 20mph faster in the hair pin curves. They are all excellent riders. Ive never rode with them on my 929 which ive owned since 2000. I can curve better on it seeing that I've only had the busa since feb but Ive came along way on it. I think I have a idea to what you guys are ganna say but please bare with me. So my question is do you turbo owners think that riding a turbo bike while racing through the twisties can be done safely. Like I said before Im very experienced rider myself so please leave that out of the equation. Im talking about the bikes performance being that your pushing alot more hp while riding the edge of the tire. The curves we ride in TN are comparable to Deals gap but not as many. So Im looking for a turbo that doesnt build boost until higher Rpms. Im famliar with turbo cars as Ive had a few and I know that ballbearing is not the way to go for this application. Well sorry for so much tping and story telling. Just want everyone to be clear on what the situation and what Im asking.
rant.gif

Yes it can be done safely. Any stage I kit is built with a smaller turbo and will generally spool up quick and lower in the rpm range. A larger turbo will generally spool up later in the rpm range. I personally would rather have a smaller turbo, for the fact it more closely mimics the power band of the stock engine. A busa with a big GT35r comes on late, and when it does it's like a freight train, not what you want on a corner.

Yes it can be done safely.  Any stage I kit is built with a smaller turbo and will generally spool up quick and lower in the rpm range.  A larger turbo will generally spool up later in the rpm range.  I personally would rather have a smaller turbo, for the fact it more closely mimics the power band of the stock engine.  A busa with a big GT35r comes on late, and when it does it's like a freight train, not what you want on a corner.
What are you running. So you think a smaller turbo would be better for my application?

Small turbo and stay under 10 lbs and you'll be fine. In the corners just use common sense but on the straights you'll pull there paint off...LOL
cool.gif

Yes it can be done safely.  Any stage I kit is built with a smaller turbo and will generally spool up quick and lower in the rpm range.  A larger turbo will generally spool up later in the rpm range.  I personally would rather have a smaller turbo, for the fact it more closely mimics the power band of the stock engine.  A busa with a big GT35r comes on late, and when it does it's like a freight train, not what you want on a corner.
What are you running. So you think a smaller turbo would be better for my application?
GT28, used in velocity stage I systems.

Ok First let me say I made a comment in a thread about riding alot of curves and deciding not to go turbo b/c of it. There was some guys talking about if you think you will loose your suspension b/c you go turbo well your wrong. Well anyway thats not my concern and never has been. My concern is being in a curve at 6K+ rpm going 100+ that I would loose traction b/c of the boost. Alot of the guys I ride with say it cant be done without wiping out. They are the 2 or 3 guys that are always in front of me running at least 20mph faster in the hair pin curves. They are all excellent riders. Ive never rode with them on my 929 which ive owned since 2000. I can curve better on it seeing that I've only had the busa since feb but Ive came along way on it. I think I have a idea to what you guys are ganna say but please bare with me. So my question is do you turbo owners think that riding a turbo bike while  racing through the twisties can be done safely. Like I said before Im very experienced rider myself so please leave that out of the equation. Im talking about the bikes performance being that your pushing alot more hp while riding the edge of the tire. The curves we ride in TN are comparable to Deals gap but not as many. So Im looking for a turbo that doesnt build boost until higher Rpms. Im famliar with turbo cars as Ive had a few and I know that ballbearing is not the way to go for this application. Well sorry for so much tping and story telling. Just want everyone to be clear on what the situation and what Im asking.
rant.gif
I always get a kick out of how many guys are turbo bike experts and have never ben on one, I have had my bike at the Dragon with it stock, turbo with stock comp and 6psi boost, low comp and 12psi boost and its just as east to ride now as stock, since Busas are not really Dragon bikes anyhow, the deal is put the turbo on have it tuned by a pro, and have at it, ... you have to adjust your rideing style and naturaly not hit hard in curves, you cant do that with the bike stock anyways

turbobusa2000 is right, you dont need a big turbo, i run a gt35r and it doesnt do crap till around 7-7500, but when it does spool up make sure your pointing striaght. dave has a point to, make sure to have a pro tune it. if you still cant keep up in the corners you will suck the side panels off their bikes on the striaghts. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

turbobusa2000 is right, you dont need a big turbo, i run a gt35r and it doesnt do crap till around 7-7500, but when it does spool up make sure your pointing striaght. dave has a point to, make sure to have a pro tune it. if you still cant keep up in the corners you will suck the side panels off their bikes on the striaghts. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
well that kinda sounds like what i need is a gt35 if its not hitting until 7-7.5k rpm. But I do hear you guys to about when boost hits its alot stronger. I never ran any big turbos on my car only duall ball bearings like the gt35.  Ill definetly have a turbo installer like steadman tune it, although my buddies arent happy with their last visit(their issues werent  dealing with tuning). But in my other post I ask a qeustions about  electronic boost controllers b/c  I had one of those on my last turbo car. So just check tha tpost out b/c I dont know how you guys feel about dbl posting. So far im happy with this board. The last board I was a memeber of was very very strict. Isee stuff here that wouldnt fly at all there. So its taking some getting used to
clap.gif
I keep my bike in the rpm range in which I can feel immediate throttle response and the peak power that way about half way through I can give it all it has. So with the extra power Im thinking I could prob keep the rpm down just a bit b/c the HP will be up a little more. Does that make since. im just speculating anyway.

I tend to roll the throttle on a little earlier than i used to to initiate a little boost and feed it in as i'm exiting the corner , its a feel you develop, not much different than getting off a 600 on to a busa, your carefull at first then when your used to it there's no issue.

Its all in the feel,gearing,turbo. What turbo2000,dave&cindy said is spot on! how much power do you want? I set my bike up for twisty riding. 6# of boost,wastegate hogged out,18-40 gearing runs like stock power band with a kick! Too much power is not nec. in the corners. I can app. your apprehension as I had the same concerns a few years back! It is not like you would think, the power comes on smoothly, not abruptly unless your ham fisted. WELL unless your running 10# of boost! Even then its all about throttle control.....Good luck
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

Just wanted too add that the busa is no liter bike. Turbo will only get you to the turn and out of the turn quicker. The rest is riding tech., that the turbo has no factor in. Again it all comes down to throttle control.
firedevil.gif
peace out.
beerchug.gif

Just wanted too add that the busa is no liter bike. Turbo will only get you to the turn and out of the turn quicker. The rest is riding tech., that the turbo has no factor in. Again it all comes down to throttle control.
firedevil.gif
peace out.
beerchug.gif
Yeah I know its not a liter bike and im experienced as I stated earlier I know how to ride i was just asking how the turbo effect the bike. your other post was helpful though

I'm running a GT35r dual BB on my Busa, tweeked to 1363 and it builds good boost starting at 4500 rpms. Its set up with a nice tune and 2 position switch for high/low boost, running a 6lb spring for the low side. Many trips thru the gap and every other twisty road up here with no problems. Just watch your riding style for a while and roll on the power a little slower coming out of the turns and you will be fine. The only thing I miss is using the engine braking when entering the corners, which you will lose some of due to the turbo setup.

I'm running a GT35r dual BB on my Busa, tweeked to 1363 and it builds good boost starting at 4500 rpms. Its set up with a nice tune and 2 position switch for high/low boost, running a 6lb spring for the low side. Many trips thru the gap and every other twisty road up here with no problems. Just watch your riding style for a while and roll on the power a little slower coming out of the turns and you will be fine. The only thing I miss is using the engine braking when entering the corners, which you will lose some of due to the turbo setup.
1363? I like to use the engine for braking as well... like the response
ThumbsUp.gif

I have stock compression with an intercooler,Feels like a stock bike in the turns,with no loss of engine braking. If your main riding is twisties you might want to consider no more than 6psi,7.5 intercooled as this was my reasoning. Boost also starts at 4500 but is basically seamless.I went with the intercooler for longevity(2 fans manditory),so far so good.I am knocking on wood as i say that! I have 15,000+ miles on my set-up since installing at 23,500. I set my system up for twisties,touring 2-up and the long haul. Helps to know your objectives. I was used to the power in the first season but only have 1 busa so no stage 2 for me
argue.gif
This is my daily rider so reliability is paramount. Hey if you want to talk in depth, do not hesitate to call 609-242-7257 Walt, as any help to a fellow rider would be the least I could offer, been there and done this!
beerchug.gif

I have stock compression with an intercooler,Feels like a stock bike in the turns,with no loss of engine braking. If your main riding is twisties you might want to consider no more than 6psi,7.5 intercooled as this was my reasoning. Boost also starts at 4500 but is basically seamless.I went with the intercooler for longevity(2 fans manditory),so far so good.I am knocking on wood as i say that! I have 15,000+ miles on my set-up since installing at 23,500. I set my system up for twisties,touring 2-up and the long haul. Helps to know your objectives. I was used to the power in the first season but only have 1 busa so no stage 2 for me
argue.gif
This is my daily rider so reliability is paramount. Hey if you want to talk in depth, do not hesitate to call 609-242-7257 Walt, as any help to a fellow rider would be the least I could offer, been there and done this!
beerchug.gif
What type of intercooler are you using. Also what type of second fan are you using?

I have a ghetto system which is essentially a rcc kit and I believe dennis sourced the intercooler from rcc. It is a beautiful piece but pricey! You would have to re-do your plenum and up pipe,blowoff valve? in order to incorporate it. I ordered mine a few days after ordering turbo, thinking I might as well do it from the get-go. A little triming or the left lower was nec. to accomodate up pipe to intercooler.Which reminds me,you would also have to have your compressor side of turbo modded to incorporate the intercooler. I am using a gsxr750 fan on a manuel switch and was quickly trained to turn it on when coming into traffic,light,etc. Its really no big deal as I NOW DO IT NATURALLY(pavlov's dog).I believe the 600 fan is the same. Any fan will do as you know the turbo's generate some heat! Tire clearance is also an issue! went to a 65 front,then had to go to a 60 as it was rubbing. also changed front springs while at the 65 series and helped with rubbing for awhile.BTW the 65 was an improvement in the handling of the bike. Change spring rate no matter what your set up,stock or not, this is one of the biggest improvements you can make to the busa! So what system are you running?
beerchug.gif

Back