Watch out in traffic

MrGxr

Donating Member
Registered
Setup:
Hwy 528 comes up into Rio Rancho as a four lane 40 mph road,then decreases down to two lanes at 40 mph in about a 2 mile stretch. Along this 2 mile stretch there are are 5 stoplights. Traffic is heavy for some, but coming from back East and driving out in Cali, traffic here is nothing.

What happened:
I come up the hill which makes this nice sweeping turn staying in its own lane, then when you get on the hill you merge left and enter Hwy 528. Well, like I said this is a great sweeping uphill turn... I of course am doing 60 mph in a 40 so as to enjoy the turn a little. I come up on the hill and let off the throttle and slow to 45 mph (there abouts) there is a hole in traffic and I move into the center lane, I like the center lane cause there is no more merging for the rest of the ride I am on. Anyways, right at the top of the hill there is a stop light and its red. I come to stop and at this point all the cars catch up and surround me. The light turns green and the cars in the left lane are now racing off to get in front of traffic and merge before the lane ends. I come off slowly and let 3 cars in, in the next lane over (left) 2 cars move in where the 3 cars were. Ok, now I have cars/trucks all around me and we are doing approx 43 mph with no issues.

Here it comes.... I notice the red truck next to me is kinda moving into my lane. I ride the left side of the lane so I notice that the passenger door is getting closer to my leg. I look down and there is a young boy (6yrs maybe) looking up at me and waving. I smile thru the helmet and look past him to see his Mom talking on the phone (holding it with her right shoulder) and not seeing me next to her. I start to move over in the lane and she still keeps coming. I push up the visor and yell and hit the horn... she is still coming in. On my right is a full size pick up and I am just in front of the drivers door, the car (blueish in color) behind me is like right on by tail and the car in front of me (white) is slowing down. I think the woman in the read truck will notice she is coming in between two cars that are barely giving me room... she doesn't.
Now I am starting to freak out and flash my brake lights and put my left hand down to signal slowing down, but the white care behind me is still coming on strong and not noticing anything I am doing. I look again to the right and calculate if I can cut in front of the truck without causing to much trouble. The driver of the truck, I notice, is watching what is happening and has moved over to the left side of his lane and signals for me to come over. I move into the lane next to the truck and the red truck is now fully in the lane I was just in. The white truck slows down and lets me in front of him and I wave, he waves back and shakes his head. Nerves are shot and the next light is turning yellow... then red. I am parked right next to the red truck, so I calmly knock on the passenger window, the boy smiles, looks over at his Mom (I think) and she looks over at me. She now gets this worried, scared type look, and the boy looks back and he has a scared look on now as well. I am now calm and just shake my head and roll forward to the white line. Light turns green and I move off. This time I increase speed quickly and to 45 mph and stay in front of all the cars. Also, I am now having to merge back to the left to be where I need to be.

Sorry for the long post, cause like this all happened in a matter of seconds, but it seemed a life time.

All, please be careful out there on the roads. Those that drive cars, smoke, talk on the phone, and adjust the radio stations are just not seeing us on two wheels; let alone other cars. For that matter it doesn't seem any individual driving a car pays attention to those of us on two wheels.

Holidays are coming and its a time rejoice with family and friends... PLEASE be careful.

Thanks for listening.

Setup:
Hwy 528 comes up into Rio Rancho as a four lane 40 mph road,then decreases down to two lanes at 40 mph in about a 2 mile stretch. Along this 2 mile stretch there are are 5 stoplights. Traffic is heavy for some, but coming from back East and driving out in Cali, traffic here is nothing.

What happened:
I come up the hill which makes this nice sweeping turn staying in its own lane, then when you get on the hill you merge left and enter Hwy 528. Well, like I said this is a great sweeping uphill turn... I of course am doing 60 mph in a 40 so as to enjoy the turn a little. I come up on the hill and let off the throttle and slow to 45 mph (there abouts) there is a hole in traffic and I move into the center lane, I like the center lane cause there is no more merging for the rest of the ride I am on. Anyways, right at the top of the hill there is a stop light and its red. I come to stop and at this point all the cars catch up and surround me. The light turns green and the cars in the left lane are now racing off to get in front of traffic and merge before the lane ends. I come off slowly and let 3 cars in, in the next lane over (left) 2 cars move in where the 3 cars were. Ok, now I have cars/trucks all around me and we are doing approx 43 mph with no issues.

Here it comes.... I notice the red truck next to me is kinda moving into my lane. I ride the left side of the lane so I notice that the passenger door is getting closer to my leg. I look down and there is a young boy (6yrs maybe) looking up at me and waving. I smile thru the helmet and look past him to see his Mom talking on the phone (holding it with her right shoulder) and not seeing me next to her. I start to move over in the lane and she still keeps coming. I push up the visor and yell and hit the horn... she is still coming in. On my right is a full size pick up and I am just in front of the drivers door, the car (blueish in color) behind me is like right on by tail and the car in front of me (white) is slowing down. I think the woman in the read truck will notice she is coming in between two cars that are barely giving me room... she doesn't.
Now I am starting to freak out and flash my brake lights and put my left hand down to signal slowing down, but the white care behind me is still coming on strong and not noticing anything I am doing. I look again to the right and calculate if I can cut in front of the truck without causing to much trouble. The driver of the truck, I notice, is watching what is happening and has moved over to the left side of his lane and signals for me to come over. I move into the lane next to the truck and the red truck is now fully in the lane I was just in. The white truck slows down and lets me in front of him and I wave, he waves back and shakes his head. Nerves are shot and the next light is turning yellow... then red. I am parked right next to the red truck, so I calmly knock on the passenger window, the boy smiles, looks over at his Mom (I think) and she looks over at me. She now gets this worried, scared type look, and the boy looks back and he has a scared look on now as well. I am now calm and just shake my head and roll forward to the white line. Light turns green and I move off. This time I increase speed quickly and to 45 mph and stay in front of all the cars. Also, I am now having to merge back to the left to be where I need to be.

Sorry for the long post, cause like this all happened in a matter of seconds, but it seemed a life time.

All, please be careful out there on the roads. Those that drive cars, smoke, talk on the phone, and adjust the radio stations are just not seeing us on two wheels; let alone other cars. For that matter it doesn't seem any individual driving a car pays attention to those of us on two wheels.

Holidays are coming and its a time rejoice with family and friends... PLEASE be careful.

Thanks for listening.
Bad luck. Sorry this happened. This should be part of the MSF course material... what to look out for, and how would handle this situation.

Some people just drive without looking.

I agree the MSF course is good at getting you the basics, but it should include some defensive riding time.

Yet another case for not selling soccer Mom's cellular service...

I get so ticked at all of the people talking while driving...they can barely get up to the speed limit 'cause they just aren't paying attention...
mad.gif

Glad you weren't pinched, but man, that's scary...

As an aside...I was heading to my son's school to pick him up earlier this week...passed a dump truck only to see the driver holding what is clearly a white Budweiser beer can in his hand...
rock.gif
Times like that you wish you had a laser gun, or a badge and flashing blue lights...

Glad your alright Mr. GSX, it's a jungle out there and we always have to be on the lookout....Times like that make you wanna punch the driver....

Nice post. We all need a reminder now and then.

--Wag--

This is why I always try to shuffle to the front of the light and I don't let a soul get off the line faster than me if I can help it. I want open road ahead of me where my throttle can keep me safe in a pinch.

P.S.

Attachments

• warninglabel.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 52
Its too bad I can't shoot them, or at least put a round into their engine! Sorry to sound so mad but I still have road rash scars, and no bike et because of a cell phone!
guns.gif

Glad you're allright. Lucky at least someone saw you to make your life easier to get yourself out of danger.

Tell me... is it against the law over there to use a mobile while you're driving ?

It is here now, just changed last year. So many people struggle to drive a car without a phone in their hand, to have a mobile just makes matters 10 times worse.

Tell me... is it against the law over there to use a mobile while you're driving ?

It is here now, just changed last year. So many people struggle to drive a car without a phone in their hand, to have a mobile just makes matters 10 times worse.
It's normally up to the city or county to regulate phone use while driving. Most of the time they don't want the phone to your head in these cases. So, the use of an earbud is still legal although I feel it can be just as distracting at times.

I think there are a couple of states that have passed (or have attempted to pass) laws to make the use of a phone illegal while driving.

<!--EDIT|HT_USMC
Reason for Edit: "Type-O's kill... save a member!"|1133548498 -->

If I was you I would have kicked the side of her truck just to let her know that I am there and then I would have punched her side mirror and then called the cops telling them that she hit me.

But in all seriousness there is nothing worse in the world for us then having people not paying attention because of them being on a cel phone.
mad.gif

Had a Bro in Tampa get pushed like this into some road cones, fractured his ankle. He could have avoided it via liberal throttle application.

I allways try to remind myself that the Throttle is my number one defensive weapon. Used aggresively it has gotten me out of alot of potentially bad situations.

Glad your Damage free man...

Had a Bro in Tampa get pushed like this into some road cones, fractured his ankle.  He could have avoided it via liberal throttle application.

I allways try to remind myself that the Throttle is my number one defensive weapon.  Used aggresively it has gotten me out of alot of potentially bad situations.  

Glad your Damage free man...
X2 on that one bro watch out for crazy ass cage drivers.

It's amazing how sometimes you can just feel cagers not paying attention and about to put you in a position you don't want to be in. I hate that!

Back