First ticket in 23 years. Fight it?

I think you might have a chance of fighting this. just keep getting your facts together...ultimately when u have all the facts in order, you should be able to make a decision what to do. Keep us posted, good luck!

I'd fight it on principle. You know you were in the right. The cop couldn't have been that concerned about a violation of that nature. Looks like he was just drumming up some business for the city.

In your particular situation, I'd suggest acquiring a genuine "Traffic Attorney" who has a good track record for winning. If your job is or may be affected by the outcome attorney fees have no bearing on your decision. Your chances of winning in a courtroom go up considerably with legal representation.

First thing to do is challenge the ticket before time expires. Here in Washington State we have 20 days to either challenge the ticket or pay the fine. Be sure you know the time line.

If it were me, I think I would set up an appointment with the prosecutor's office and along with the information you posted up here ask the prosecutor to reduce the charges to "Expired Tabs". Pay up and call it a win. If the Prosecutor says no go, then you can step up with an attorney. After all, the money is what they are really after.

No, it's an E350 SuperDuty service van. Oddly on the ticket he listed NO for commercial vehicle even though the registration is in the company's name and it has plenty of writing and graphics on it.

More than 4 points and their insurance drops you. So if it sticks, even an additional 2 pointer and I'm screwed.

A "Commercial" vehicle has air brakes, that's why he checked No.
Good luck with it.

Do the police officers or DA's prosecute traffic offenses there? I'd talk to the DA first if the latter and see if they will reduce it to a no point violation. If you fight it, you risk getting all the points and fines. Technically, I believe you did break the particular traffic code here. By your own admission you overtook non-turning cars on the right. And you have big balls for doing it to a cop :laugh:.

I agree on the recording part. lets keep that btwn us here on the org shall we? :laugh:
I get recorded all the time. Doesn't bother me, if I see them messing with the phone before I start explaining the ticket I'll even ask them if they're ready. I usually don't get a reply :laugh: In SC unless something has changed as long as one party knows about the recording it's alright. :poke:

I used the ticket clinic here in florida for 3 tickets all speeding over the last few years, the got 2 of 3 dismissed totally and the other dropped down to non moving violation. Traffic attorney should be able to help you out. Good luck!

Update!

Thought over several options and decided to hire a good attorney. He was $150 and had I decided to go myself I'd easily lose twice that taking time off work.

I brought him multiple pictures including those off Google maps proving it was not a right turn only lane. Even a weather report showing there was no inclement weather conditions making the pass unsafe. He said he'd have to postpone the original ticket date on Feb 25 to later in March and I'd know the results in April.

Later that same day the mail arrives and I get a letter from the county court. Due to my exemplary driving record, they are willing to give me a deferral as long as I pay the fine and additional paperwork fee for a total of $249.00! The ticket itself was $153 if I just paid it and took the 4 points. And if I get another ticket in the next 12 months, the points will be put on my record. That went right in the garbage.

Got a call this week. Cop was WRONG and I was right. :laugh: Never even made it to the judge as the prosecuting attorney tossed the ticket.

Still a whole crock of @#$! as this fool wasted my time and won't be paying for my lawyer. :11zpissed:

Update!

Thought over several options and decided to hire a good attorney. He was $150 and had I decided to go myself I'd easily lose twice that taking time off work.

I brought him multiple pictures including those off Google maps proving it was not a right turn only lane. Even a weather report showing there was no inclement weather conditions making the pass unsafe. He said he'd have to postpone the original ticket date on Feb 25 to later in March and I'd know the results in April.

Later that same day the mail arrives and I get a letter from the county court. Due to my exemplary driving record, they are willing to give me a deferral as long as I pay the fine and additional paperwork fee for a total of $249.00! The ticket itself was $153 if I just paid it and took the 4 points. And if I get another ticket in the next 12 months, the points will be put on my record. That went right in the garbage.

Got a call this week. Cop was WRONG and I was right. :laugh: Never even made it to the judge as the prosecuting attorney tossed the ticket.

Still a whole crock of @#$! as this fool wasted my time and won't be paying for my lawyer. :11zpissed:

Glad to see you made it out fine and just short some money. Bugs me that the system is set up to take your money even if you are innocent.

Given everything in your post I would go to court and I would ask for a jury trial sir.

A jury trial for a traffic ticket.:rofl: Yer killin' me bro. The lost wages from time off work to attend court.That or vacation time.Guess he could always call in sick.(sick of some cops petty bullshid):newburn:

RSD.

Back