WarBaby's Excellent Cornering tip...

WarBaby

Donating Member
Registered
On paved roads, ride either slightly left or slightly right of the center of the lane. That dark spot in the center of the lane is oil, grease, anti-freeze, and God only knows what else. It offers poor traction, especially when freshly wet.

This was mentioned earlier but I think it is important enough to repeat: If you find yourself entering a curve too fast (already leaned over), don't panic and don't jump on the brakes... make yourself LEAN more. The rounded tires on sportbikes will lean r-e-a-l-l-y far. In the worst scenario, leaning too far will result in a low-side crash which is a much better event than a high-side crash. Yes, it is possible to brake while leaning through a turn but it is a dangerous habit for a new rider to develop because it tends to encourage more braking rather than more lean. Improper braking while leaned over can bite hard with a high-side crash. Set up each curve by braking before entering it. Then, apply a little gas and lean into the curve. It is better to be on the gas, at least slightly, when leaned over than to coast through a turn. The bike will be more stable when the rear wheel is "pushing" and the throttle can help make fine mid-turn corrections. And, as also mentioned previously, focus on WHERE you intend to go. Not on the road a few feet ahead of you, nor on the car or bike a few feet ahead of you. It is okay to glance quickly at the immediate front for sand, oil, obstacles, etc. but keep your focus on where you want to go and the bike WILL miraculously go there! One way to check the amount of lean you are using is to look at your rear tire. So-called "Chicken Stripes" will tell you if you are near the tire's lean limit (see arrows in the pic). If they are an inch or more wide, you have a lot of lean angle remaining that you are not using. If they are very narrow (or non-existant), you are near (or at) your lean limits.

Go e-a-s-y at first on wet roads. Motorcycles, like cars, will hydroplane--wherein the tires are riding on top of the water rather than cutting through it to the pavement. It is obviously dangerous when your tires are not in contact with the road. If you feel like you are floating, you probably are. Slow down and/or make very gentle changes in speed. {I once rode 600 miles in the month of January from Nashville to Kansas City. About 200 of those miles were on iced-over roads. It was the most tedious thing I have ever done. Solid ice allows approximately zero lean angle. Most of the time I was holding my breath to keep from upsetting the bike's balance. Talk about having to plan ahead to slow down--it was wholly idiotic and like walking a tightwire. The only thing that kept me upright was abject terror, frequent coffee stops, years of experience, and the gyro effect of the wheels turning.}

A few years back, I made a simple 1" X 2" aluminum plate that I had engraved, polished, and mounted on the handlebars of several of my bikes. It read "THINK".

There's much more but you'll probably agree that I've raved enough. Good luck!  
smile.gif

Good Stuff from Warbaby... Also, folks if you see a particular post somewhere that is truly relevant to the board or a particular Topic, I mean the really good stuff, How too's, Riding Skill's, Just what the fug a TRE is?

Lemme Know...

Thanks

Rev

And, as also mentioned previously, focus on WHERE you intend to go. Not on the road a few feet ahead of you, nor on the car or bike a few feet ahead of you. It is okay to glance quickly at the immediate front for sand, oil, obstacles, etc. but keep your focus on where you want to go and the bike WILL miraculously go there!
"..if you don't look where you go at, you will go where you look at.."
smile.gif

Re: WarBaby's Excellent Cornering tip...

A few years back, I made a simple 1" X 2" aluminum plate that I had engraved, polished, and mounted on the handlebars of several of my bikes. It read "THINK".

WarBaby,

I love this idea... I was going to make a banner for my garage that was similar. Maybe you should market your aluminum plate.

I have found that the Busa is unforgiving of any lapse in concentration. You don't ride a bike like the Busa. You plan every move and think about what you're doing at all times.

Re: WarBaby's Excellent Cornering tip...

You should be on the outside of the corner not the inside, the reason you leave the throttle on is because the rear tire steers the bike after it is leaned over, if you let off or brake the bike wants to go straight. The real reason for leaning over farther is to slow down . The simple act of leaving the throttle applied (maintance throttle) and pushing harder on the inside bar makes the bike slow down because you are changing the final drive ratio of the bike. (distance from axle to ground when leaned over is shorter than when the bike is upright) the simple act of leaning the bike over more will slow you down 5-10 mph without letting off the throttle..........this is basic MSF beginners school stuff......If you guys ride busa's in the corners you need to go get trained. Things happen way to fast on this bike to have to be thinking about what to do........We are our biggest enemy on a bike, we have to unlearn all of our instincts because they are incorrect most of the time.

On the gas

loose on the bars

control entry speed

ride out side in thru a corner (delayed apex and manages ground clearance)

stick you chin over the inside bar (turn your head and look thru the corner)

It is not alright to shift you field of view back and forth if you look far enough ahead you will already have seen the gravel, sand etc... :lol:

I taped these things to my handlebars until they were habits-------you can only learn 1 thing at a time....work on it. Kieth

Last edited:
Back