How far can you lean?

Doesn't matter, because I commute 60 miles each day the tire flatspots way before the outer third wears out. Not everyone is a road racer.

Not everyone is a road racer but then they don't post that they have 3/4" chicken stripes in a thread in the Rider Training Section (track days) called How Far Can You Lean and then get upset because they get a little ribbing about it. Just havin a bit o fun mate.

Not pissed at all. You all need to chill. I think everyone is on edge and still in the winter grumpys. Summer's coming! "Remain calm.......all is well!"

When your 285lbs suited it isn't hard to ride past your stock suspension. Ask me how I know.

Thus the reason aftermarket can be a necessity when over 200lbs. Plus good suspension, tires and brakes will give you one thing that is needed to continue to progress and that is confidence.

Just make sure you still have some fear as that will keep you alive.

When your 285lbs suited it isn't hard to ride past your stock suspension. Ask me how I know.

Thus the reason aftermarket can be a necessity when over 200lbs. Plus good suspension, tires and brakes will give you one thing that is needed to continue to progress and that is confidence.

Just make sure you still have some fear as that will keep you alive.

Alright, I'll bite. How do you know?

1 word. POGOSTICK

I might as well been riding a bull when this happen all to often at our small rough track.

I too thought some of the bouncing around and instability could be corrected with some better or better tuned suspension. I'm about 250 plus gear. My suspension is completely stock and hasn't been adjusted since the dealership. I talked to the suspension and tire guy at the track. He said I needed to get more laps under my belt so I'd be able to tell the difference in the adjustments. They were recommending I go ahead with some more sticky tires though. I plan on seeing about a suspension adjustment mid day the next time I'm at the track.

He was probably referring to it just getting greasy after a few laps... A fast rider at the track on street tires can absolutely get the tires hot enough to be greasy in a few Laps. Granted it's usually worse on hotter days.

I have duct taped race fairings and a big right butt cheek patch on my suit to prove that a street tire (Q3) can get greasy and let go when pushed passed its limits :)
That's some balsy riding Tiller, how fast were you going when you went down? Can anyone else talk about what it's like going down on a track?

I haven't seen Tiller on here so you might not get an answer from him @Dancallun .

I never crashed on a track but I saw a guy who did and he was fine. It's safer than crashing on the street even if you do get injured. At least there are paramedics right there.

Often, there's an oil spill or coolant and that has to cleaned up before they will allow any riders out. Obviously the bike suffers a lot of damage and that's why a lot of people favor using a bike that is not worth a lot of money for track riding.

That's some balsy riding Tiller, how fast were you going when you went down? Can anyone else talk about what it's like going down on a track?
There used to be a Gixxer group on here and those guys were expert track junkies. Super skilled and a great source of information too. There is a trash talk thread on here somewhere and that is a fun read.

I have never crashed on a track but they are generally faster than street crashes. The low slides are usually more or less harmless but high sides are a bit more dangerous. I have mainly seen road rash, soft tissue damage to arms/legs, and occasionally a concussion. Breaks are less common but do happen, especially to the hands and feet/ankles. Good gear is a must! Many newbies get hurt trying to save the bike. Once a crash is inevitable, pull the ejection handle and get the F' out of there. It is important to separate from the bike, keep legs and arms high and tight and try to slide, not flip. Flipping breaks bones. You will hear track guys describe it as "sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground..." I experienced that on the road once and it is not a fun ride!

But fast crashes on a track are better than the slower ones on the street, at least for safety. If you are going fast enough to improve your riding and learn how to control a bike at speed, you'll eventually make a mistake. So it's hard to keep a dedicated track bike sparkling clean like you do your street baby. Track bikes are also setup different. To my way of thinking, a bike really takes damage when it flips or cartwheels. Frame sliders can catch in the sand or gravel pits turning a survivable mid-speed crash into a major repair. So some don't like sliders on the track. Obviously though if you don't run sliders you need all the other things like case savers. Anything else unnecessary is just more to fix. Mirrors, accessories, and anything heavy should go. I spend a week working on my bike stripping it and getting it ready for my track adventures.

Like anything prep pays big at the track. In the several I've done there weren't too many crashes, at least not big ones. I don't think anyone got the long ride (ambulance). My track buddy crashed his Ducati a lot. He wanted to be a racer and got his license but had some spectacular crashes getting it, Lol! He never got as much as a scratch though.

There used to be a Gixxer group on here and those guys were expert track junkies. Super skilled and a great source of information too. There is a trash talk thread on here somewhere and that is a fun read.

I have never crashed on a track but they are generally faster than street crashes. The low slides are usually more or less harmless but high sides are a bit more dangerous. I have mainly seen road rash, soft tissue damage to arms/legs, and occasionally a concussion. Breaks are less common but do happen, especially to the hands and feet/ankles. Good gear is a must! Many newbies get hurt trying to save the bike. Once a crash is inevitable, pull the ejection handle and get the F' out of there. It is important to separate from the bike, keep legs and arms high and tight and try to slide, not flip. Flipping breaks bones. You will hear track guys describe it as "sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground..." I experienced that on the road once and it is not a fun ride!

But fast crashes on a track are better than the slower ones on the street, at least for safety. If you are going fast enough to improve your riding and learn how to control a bike at speed, you'll eventually make a mistake. So it's hard to keep a dedicated track bike sparkling clean like you do your street baby. Track bikes are also setup different. To my way of thinking, a bike really takes damage when it flips or cartwheels. Frame sliders can catch in the sand or gravel pits turning a survivable mid-speed crash into a major repair. So some don't like sliders on the track. Obviously though if you don't run sliders you need all the other things like case savers. Anything else unnecessary is just more to fix. Mirrors, accessories, and anything heavy should go. I spend a week working on my bike stripping it and getting it ready for my track adventures.

Like anything prep pays big at the track. In the several I've done there weren't too many crashes, at least not big ones. I don't think anyone got the long ride (ambulance). My track buddy crashed his Ducati a lot. He wanted to be a racer and got his license but had some spectacular crashes getting it, Lol! He never got as much as a scratch though.
That's awesome, I've never riden on a track but I would love to. I can't afford to be constantly doing major repairs so it's good to know I can go to the track and possibly have some fun and get better without destroying my bike. Thanks for the info that's very helpful.

I haven't seen Tiller on here so you might not get an answer from him @Dancallun .

I never crashed on a track but I saw a guy who did and he was fine. It's safer than crashing on the street even if you do get injured. At least there are paramedics right there.

Often, there's an oil spill or coolant and that has to cleaned up before they will allow any riders out. Obviously the bike suffers a lot of damage and that's why a lot of people favor using a bike that is not worth a lot of money for track riding.
Thanks Mythos, that's what I wad looking for. I have an 04 CBR1000RR I may start using for that, improving skills while I keep making the Busa look and run better. I guess even if the budget is tight you can still go on the track but with a little more caution.

Back