Cornering Quiz! Who has more lean angle?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
You are riding with your buddy. You are on your stock busa, your buddy is on his tricked out busa with 10 inch stretch and 300 rear tire.

You both are traveling exactly 50 mph around a 200 ft radius corner, WHO HAS MORE LEAN ANGLE? :learn:

I would say the guy with the 300. Its a flatter tire so he would have to lean more to turn. Wouldn't body postion play a big role?

would the lean angle be the same...except one bike would handle in a different manner...trick question?

No tricks. As long as the laws of physics doesn't change there is an absolute answer.

I thought there would be more participants on a thread that included cornering and lean angle all in the same sentence? Where are our track day enthusiasts who should know this stuff.

You must first understand cornering before you can conquer cornering! Keith Code

Hmmmmmmm, if it were a tire thread the participants would be endless. :)

I thought there would be more participants on a thread that included cornering and lean angle all in the same sentence? Where are our track day enthusiasts who should know this stuff.

You must first understand cornering before you can conquer cornering! Keith Code

Haven't you heard, busas can't turn. :hide:

My thinking is the tricked out bike will require more lean angle to track the same turn

I think Shinkos are Awesome when you don't have to corner!!!

my guess is stock has better lean angle (shorter wheel base) and can turn in much quicker than the stretch which would require more effort and a wider line.

The stock bike will have more lean angle,, because it will be going 50 mph around the 200 ft radius corner with its owner enjoying it the way its engineers intended.

The 10 inch stretch, 300 rear tire bike will either be doing burnouts in a bike night parking lot or in the back of a pickup on the way to said bike night. :poke: :laugh:

Page 34 an 35 cover this pretty well...the wider tire will require more lean to traverse at the same rate.

Motorcycle Design and Technology Handbook - Gaetano Cocco - Google Books

Relates to width of the rear.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I remember taking Statics in my freshman year of college. That stuff was actually pretty fun. Calculating equilibrium, varying forces, and throw in angles for fun. Second semester was not nearly as fun. Take statics....and now add motion = dynamics. Can make for some tough equations!

The stock bike will have more lean angle,, because it will be going 50 mph around the 200 ft radius corner with its owner enjoying it the way its engineers intended.

The 10 inch stretch, 300 rear tire bike will either be doing burnouts in a bike night parking lot or in the back of a pickup on the way to said bike night. :poke: :laugh:

I like this answer! :laugh:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Back