Unexpected Hitchhiker

warbrown

Bald and Busafied
Donating Member
Registered
In recent weeks I've had problems with some pesky field mice who have taken to "nesting" in the storage compartment under the rear seat.  Over Memorial Day weekend, I discovered the problem when I inadvertantly took a mother mouse and 7 small sucklings on a day trip to Gettysburg (where I discovered them under the seat and dropped them off, hoping my problem was solved.)  Unfortunately, there have been more which insist on nesting in the same spot and chewing on my rear signal and brake wires.  I've left traps and rat poison with mixed results.   As you can imagine, I've gotten into the habit of checking under the seat before every ride, so imagine my surprise when I checked yesterday...

www.warrenbrown.com images missing

He is my new best friend in my war on mice.  Black Rat Snakes are very common around here (Harpers Ferry, WV), and this guy was really tame.  I thanked him for his good work and set him free  --in my shed.

dude, I'd probably need a change of pants if I found a snake in my storage area on the bike
wow.gif

Wow, now that's not something we all expect to find on the Busa!

Guess that takes care of the mice though!  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: "ummm...I'm stoopid..."|1091737706 -->

That would send a chill up my spine! Snakes and I don't get along at all.

I'd welcome him anywhere but inside my house. Well, he could camp out in the garage. That kind of snake is yer friend.
wink.gif

I wouldn't mind him gettin' on my busa as long as I knew he was there, and what kind he was. However, I would NOT want to be ridin' and have a snake of any kind surprise me. I'm not afraid of 'em if I know they're around, but if one popped out unexpectedly while I was ridin' I'm afraid it might be ugly!
eek2.gif

FWIW, I'd rather have the snake on/in my busa than to have mice. Those little disease carryin' bastids like to chew on wiring and can cause all kinds of electrical headaches.
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091738347 -->

This story had me rolling laughing !! Had to show it to all my friends here at work. I am curious how the heck did they get in there ? Is there a path making it easy enough ?

Hmmm... I just had a thought. If you could train a mouse to unlock the hump from the inside you'd never have to worry about snappin' the hump down with the key in the trunk again.
biggrin.gif

Where do you park your bike? The snakes down here wouldn't fit under the rear hump so I don't worry about it.

Where do you park your bike? The snakes down here wouldn't fit under the rear hump so I don't worry about it.
Neither would the copperheads I see occasionally around my place.
eek2.gif
Hell, the rat snakes here are all prolly 5-6 feet long, too. Not as fat and thick as the copperheads though. Saw one the other day that was prolly three inches thick!

I built a cycle shed in the back yard which houses my three bikes. I've left the doors open on occasion while I ride, so I assume the critters move in during those times. The funny thing is, the mice built nests under the seats of BOTH my Busa and ZRX. I have no idea how they found the same spot on both bikes. I can only guess they climb up the tires and slip in through the bodywork somehow. Here's a pic of one of the nests I've removed from the ZRX... (Arrow is pointing the the grey mouse peeking out). I noticed in the lastest snake-mouse incident that the nest contained several poison pellets I'd scattered on the floor, so hopefully they'll all die off in the next few days.

Dude, Thats awesome, I havve a Black racer thats been living in my garage and between the walls for about 2 years allmost. I love it, no big bugs and no rodents in my Garage. Mind you she plays hell with the lizards and Frogs out front I am sure, but it's worth it to have good rodent protection...

Snake_11_copy.jpg

Wow, that would scare the crap out of me...I'm not a big fan of snakes...I don't know why, I know a lot of them are harmless, and I don't mind looking at them behind glass, but even touching them makes me uneasy
sad.gif

Back