True Story - the police in Golden, BC

banditoo

Registered
a friend of mine rides an ST1300. He got pulled over by the cops near the town of Golden, BC for doing 137 km/h in a 90 zone, (give or take don't remember the exact numbers).

The cop asks him what's the hurry, Tim says "I'm diabetic, my blood sugar is low and I wanted to get to Golden fast to get some food".

This is true, but what the cop does is hilarious ...

The cop called an ambulance and a tow truck to take Tim to the hospital in Golden and to tow the bike to the impound because he wasn't fit to drive. HOLY CRAP !!

His $300+ ticket turned into a $800+ impound and ambulance charge as well !!

Just goes to show, be careful what you say when you get pulled over !!

ouch! I've learned the hard way with cops to just keep my mouth shut-- breaks for bikers are few and far between.

The officer did the right thing to look out for your friends safety
smile.gif
and he may have heard that one before hehe

dd

ouch! I've learned the hard way with cops to just keep my mouth shut-- breaks for bikers are few and far between.[/QUOTE]
That about sums it up...
Ride safe...

thats crazy, but if he's really diabetic, he should carry something with him at all times just in case he ever is in a bad situation. I know I always do, I'm not diabetic, but if I dont eat I do get way edgy (turn into a ragin a*hole) so I just make sure I always have a protein bar or something with me.

He could have refused the ambulance ride, couldn't he? ....You can't impound a vehicle because someone is sick.....And wouldn't he have to fail some sort of sobriety test for the cop to be able to tow the bike? That would be his only justification. ..... just curious.

I think the police officer did the right thing. I mean if someone was diabetic and they felt there blod sugar was low they would not only be a danger to themselves on the road but a danger to someone else.

If a police officer let someone go like that with a "ok, well slow it down a little and be safe" and then 10 minutes later he / she hears on the radio someone on a motorcycle hit someone, the officer would feel like crap.

So while it might have been a financial screw job, I think the officer did the right thing. if I was an officer and heard that I probably would have done the same.

Medical problem...Sometimes...Extreme rush maybe...Diabetic big problem...Diabetic's resemble DUI driver's if their in a bad way...Offer something that will get their blood sugar up...Call an ambulance probably not...Tow their vehicle probably not...Was the guy telling the truth???Did the officer pull his trump card???If a person has a true medical condition that effects their ability to operate any motor vehicle then the officer has an obligation to the safety of the person and others to take some sort of action but usually they want go overboard...
evil.gif

Agree the cop did the right thing, but upon arrival at the hospital they would have taken his blood sugar and treated him if need be. Upon the results of the test I would think he should be relieved from paying for the ambulance and the bike could have been left out of the way of flowing traffic, but not towed. That was a little overboard, but the medical attention was probably right on.

Back