Dangerous Police?

BUSA CRUSEN

Registered
I just watched a story on the news about the Washington State Patrol speed emphasis patrols. They are using a small airplane flying at around 3000 feet to lazer speeders then radio patrol cars on the ground to pull them over (they are focusing on ALL motorcycles). One guys they pulled over was a Harley going 84 in a 60mph zone, but the cop was having to do over 100mph for a while just to catch up to the bike. WTF! is it me or does that seem pretty unreasonable that police go way over the speed limit to catch a guy going a little over the speed limit? I was on the same road (I-5) today and traffic was going about 80mph. The news people went on to say that they even caught one vehicle doing 103mph. :banghead::banghead: The guy went on to say they are targeting motorcycles because the weather is warming up and people are testing out their bikes. This just seems dangerous to me and a big waste of time and taxpayer money. What do you guys think?

I've always wondered the same, seems the police SUV would do a lot more damage than my wee lil Busa if it hit something. I get they have to enforce the laws or we'd all just be doin whatever we want, but this seems a misguided to me.
Oh, and I call BS on the Harley doin 84, we all know that's now possible. :laugh:

Its ok for the to run over 100 for miles and not have anything done to them. The system is a joke. He in Va you cannot run a radar detector but a cop can sit behind a bush in a NO PARKING zone and catch someone speeding. Again a joke. Anything for them to make easy money is all they care about regardless of the laws they break to catch someone.

More toys for the Popo at the tax payers expense. Really? Is this what it comes down to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to catch speeding motorcycles from a helicopter? Just as the Nashville Metro Police went out and bought Honda Rukas for there fat azz police officers rather then mountain bikes or hell, walking would do some of them fat azzes some good!!!! Do you honestly think I am going to take a fat cop riding a 50CC scooter serious? Really? I cant remember a motorcycle killing people other then the rider due to high speed. Yes I am sure it happens on rare occasions. Why dont they invest in better tools to crack down on drug dealers, rapist, hell even more so drivers on there smart phones cruising down the interstate at 80 MPH typing on there phone...
Another reason why I cant stand the law!!!! Gimme a break already!!

Edit: Language removed. Cant drop the F bomb I dont care how you spell it. Only warning. Thank you TTV

I wonder how accurate they can track our speed from the air and if it will stand up in court?

I once contested a citation because of the angle of approach where the Popo was sitting and his radar, asked for an expert. They postponed the case and I never heard anything again, did not even use an attorney.

Reasonable discussion is great, but please do not turn this into a cop bashing thread.:please:

Agree with Robert, post up a link to validate the thread.

I can't find the story anywhere. It was just a quick blurb and I guess they didn't post it because I have been looking for an hour.

Not trying to start a police bashing thread, I'm testing for Seattle PD tomorrow. I just don't agree with going over 100mph down the freeway looking for the vehicle that the airplane spotted. If they waited till the car passed then pulled them over I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just seems hypocritical to me to ticket people for going 20 over the limit when you have to do 40+ over the limit for a few miles to catch up to them.

Agree with Robert, post up a link to validate the thread.

It sounds common. just googling

Link>>>>>>Police to crack down on speeders this long weekend - News1130

Link>>>>Motorcycle racing: Time to crack down on Maryland's speeding rockets of the road - Baltimore Sun
Quoted from article
"Earlier this month, a 39-year-old veteran Maryland State Police trooper was killed on Interstate 95 at the Route 32 exit in Howard County. His car slammed into the back of a parked tractor-trailer, but a witness reportedly saw Trooper 1st Class Shaft S. Hunter attempting to chase down a speeding motorcyclist."

"But that doesn't mean such criminals should get a free pass. A decade ago, state police organized a campaign to crack down on such speeders. Operation Rocket Roundup used surveillance, undercover investigators, helicopters and stakeouts to catch rogue motorcyclists"

1-5 over the speed limit maybe considered a little over the speed limit. 14 over :whistle: 20 miles over the speed the limit here an they can write for careless or reckless driving. Some states you will have to face criminal charges.

Go ahead and keep complaining about planes and officer's endangering themselves and others trying to catch speeders. You will see them pushing for speed cameras, and when speed & noise enforcement cameras microphones are all over the place like in some other countries you will be begging for planes and patrol cars :laugh:

They don't even need spend a lot money on cameras either they can just put the housing for the cameras all over the place and move a few of them around, you never know which site has an active camera. That s what the school board did here in the buses to get the kids to settle down worked like a charm.

1-5 over the speed limit maybe considered a little over the speed limit. 14 over :whistle: 20 miles over the speed the limit here an they can write for careless or reckless driving. Some states you will have to face criminal charges.

+1. 24 over (84/60) is not a little over the speed limit.... :whistle:

They have been using aircraft here in Oklahoma on the Turnpikes and Interstates for at least 15 years. Never really seen anymore people pulled over by using a aircraft than the usual HPD Cruiser going up and down the interstates or using radar from under an overpass :please: .

They do this in Florida also. Me an 7 others were ticketed the same way outside of Tallahassee. We were riding to Bikeweek last year. We were in a convoy, 3 cars in front of us and 2 cars following us. We were the only ones pulled over. They shut I-10E down just to give us speeding tickets(80 in a 70). When asked why did they target us the cop responded that the officer in the air said that we probably would have been going faster if we weren't behind those cars. We laughed, are you serious? They said yep! I asked if they were gonna get those cars too, they said they may get pulled over down the road. They didn't seem too concerned with the cars speeding as they were asking ?'s about our bike's and taking pics.:banghead:

The areas they moderate with these techniques are the populated ones. No matter how many cameras and helicopters the government buys they still won't be at your secluded back road....until nano-technology becomes cheap and easy.

Back