Tricked out Hayabusa or stock - which one would you buy?

Gen3lover

Registered
I'm in the market for a used Hayabusa. There are some stock Gen 3's at dealers going for about $16K, then there is All Things Chrome in TN that sells tricked out Busa's like the one in the vid below.
This particular one is a 2020 with 10K miles, 360 fat tire, custom paint and "dripping in chrome" as the sales guy says. But it's $25K which is stupid high and is frankly out of my budget. And for sure, the bike's value would drop like a rock after a year or so. But I can't stop thinking about this bike.
They also have offered cheaper custom bikes in the past but they sell quickly.

Here's the part I'm wrestling with - I like the new Gen 3's styling and quick shifter (and cheaper used price) but bone stock bores me after a while. I'm captivated by the YouTube vids I see of custom Busas with fat tires all chromed out and All Things Chrome already has some for sale so I don't have to do the customizing myself.

Thoughts?

rocket power nicksplat GIF

Just modify it yourself *

Have you ever done something that was impractical and expensive and didn’t make sense, but you knew you’d regret not doing it?
That's how I describe racing motocross or racing in general. Sometimes, you simply have to go through it. No regrest on the other side. It's a learning experience. Get the dipped chrome, stretched out custom Busa. Live with it for a bit and learn from it. Maybe you will find a new love, maybe you will find it's not for you. After almost 20 years, I still race motocross from time to time, as impractical and expensive as it can be. Everyone is different man.

I’ll re-phrase the question another way.
Have you ever done something that was impractical and expensive and didn’t make sense, but you knew you’d regret not doing it?

Yep, when I bought this. Impractical expensive and didn’t really make much sense (I already had some motorcycles) at the time. But, having passed on a ‘99 and an ‘03 I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t (finally) buy a Hayabusa. The last LE of the Gen 1s. It will be 18 next month, has over 81,000 miles on it and still looks like this.

IMG_6283.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll re-phrase the question another way.
:Like I already mentioned.....it is you who have to ride it and look at it, what we do and what you do are totally different things.

I personally like a bike in stock/slighted modified form, these stretched and blinged out bikes aren't for me....but they are for someone and that could be you...

Just be known that it won't handle like a stock bike.

I'm in the market for a used Hayabusa. There are some stock Gen 3's at dealers going for about $16K, then there is All Things Chrome in TN that sells tricked out Busa's like the one in the vid below.
This particular one is a 2020 with 10K miles, 360 fat tire, custom paint and "dripping in chrome" as the sales guy says. But it's $25K which is stupid high and is frankly out of my budget. And for sure, the bike's value would drop like a rock after a year or so. But I can't stop thinking about this bike.
They also have offered cheaper custom bikes in the past but they sell quickly.

Here's the part I'm wrestling with - I like the new Gen 3's styling and quick shifter (and cheaper used price) but bone stock bores me after a while. I'm captivated by the YouTube vids I see of custom Busas with fat tires all chromed out and All Things Chrome already has some for sale so I don't have to do the customizing myself.

Thoughts?

where do u wanna use that bike in the video ?

only for showtime at the drive-in (or so)

or on the the country roads with lots of cuves ´n corners?

4 show - ok nice

4 country roads - NEVER ! - i myself had to ride such a bike with a 330 rear (and 120 front) tire and it felt deathlyfying - super hard to steer and massively tiring .

if you would like to drive this Hayabusa mainly on country roads with curves, I would strongly advise against buying it based on my own experience.

visit the haya, leave a deposit (10k$ or so) and drive about 50 km and only then decide.

you will be surprised at how difficult such a conversion is to ride - no matter how much experience you have with normal bikes - 100% guaranteed !
watch out :
the very only real chance of getting such a chassis to be properly mobile / capable of cornering (even a usual crossing can be such a cornering) would be to convert the front from a 120 to a 150 tire (and rim) in conjunction with the installation of a so-called superbike handlebar.

the conversion from 120 to 150 at the front serves to adapt the tire dimensions at the front/rear and thus the steerability and drivability.
but then , i guess , another estimated $2-3k would definitely be due.

@Gen3lover

just remembered - buddy Andi and his former Yamaha V-Max (approx. 15 years ago)
it was also equipped with a 300 rear tire .

after a day's tour purely on country roads, with this v-max over approx. 160 km (100mi), he was so exhausted in the evening that he literally cursed the v-max.

back then, Andi had the figure of Arnie Schwarzenegger in his good times - he certainly wasn't lacking in strength back then.

nevertheless, the next morning he had such massive muscle soreness in his entire upper body that he couldn't work - he couldn't even write properly by hand.

so much for how such a chassis conversion can (and will) cause stress.

If you can get a stock bike, or a bike with some or most of the mods that you want, assuming the price is good for your market area, and that the work was done right, it's usually cheaper to buy the bike that's already modded, vs the stock bike.
The modded bike may cost more than the stock bike, but the difference should only be a fraction of what the total cost of the mods were.
And, when I buy used bikes, if they have mods I don't like, cool, I'll sell or trade those parts.
Also, if you cannot do your own work, consider the cost of labor to mod the stock bike.

Last edited:
I would never buy the bike in the video, yes it looks great but how does it ride and handle? From my perspective that is a bike you take to bike night to show it off, spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing and very little time riding. Plus what would be the resale value on a heavily modified bike like that? Probably a lot less than you paid for it because its a hard sell unless you can find the right buyer who wants those type of mod's. Buy a used stock bike, spend some money boasting performance/handling and be happy.

Hmm depends on what your using it for? Cruising bar local stops or are you going to actually ride it like it was designed to be used? Crome is very pleasing to the eye but a pain to get road tar off of so not to good for touring .a stock bike has none but it can be added later on. And usually first mod on stock is wieght saving or brakes. So like I said,what are you using it for!

Hmm depends on what your using it for? Cruising bar local stops or are you going to actually ride it like it was designed to be used? Crome is very pleasing to the eye but a pain to get road tar off of so not to good for touring .a stock bike has none but it can be added later on. And usually first mod on stock is wieght saving or brakes. So like I said,what are you using it for!
Exactly, it would be all good until coming in hot into a hard corner...trying to wrestle that thing into that would be a lot of work.

where do u wanna use that bike in the video ?

only for showtime at the drive-in (or so)

or on the the country roads with lots of cuves ´n corners?

4 show - ok nice

4 country roads - NEVER ! - i myself had to ride such a bike with a 330 rear (and 120 front) tire and it felt deathlyfying - super hard to steer and massively tiring .

if you would like to drive this Hayabusa mainly on country roads with curves, I would strongly advise against buying it based on my own experience.

visit the haya, leave a deposit (10k$ or so) and drive about 50 km and only then decide.

you will be surprised at how difficult such a conversion is to ride - no matter how much experience you have with normal bikes - 100% guaranteed !
watch out :
the very only real chance of getting such a chassis to be properly mobile / capable of cornering (even a usual crossing can be such a cornering) would be to convert the front from a 120 to a 150 tire (and rim) in conjunction with the installation of a so-called superbike handlebar.

the conversion from 120 to 150 at the front serves to adapt the tire dimensions at the front/rear and thus the steerability and drivability.
but then , i guess , another estimated $2-3k would definitely be due.
Great feedback, kinda like a having a young super model for a girlfriend. Heads turn when you go out but they're a lot of work to keep happy.

The cheapskate in me is screaming "stay away!!!" from this bike and go with something sensible.

Back