Strapped

dewie

Registered
Hey Guys,
I'm going to use the strap this weekend at the track, how far down do you suck the front down? The return road isn't the smoothest and I want to make sure I don't smash my fender against the nose.
Thanks!!

people will give you alot of diffrent answers on this but i like to go about 2 inches, some say suck it all the way down and then release it one inch!!! id like to hear what others have to say as well!!

My bike is stock height. I normally pull the front down about half way in terms of compression. The biggest thing the strap does is keep the forks from extending.

When you launch, the forks extend which places no weight at all on the front end. The weight of the tire helps keep the weight transfer in order. When you have a little weight on the front, the bike will want to move forward rather than straight up.

If you compress the front too far you will have to adjust your riding some in order to get used to the difference.

Oh, if you are not lowered, you will not bottom out the front fender with a strap. The front end will just be stiff and kick your butt on the return road.

You also have the possibility of blowing a fork seal if you are strapped too far. If you wheelie and land hard the seals will not like it. I have perfected the art of changing seals due to this.

Most of the bikes we get in off the street do not strap down until they get to the track.. Looks like they then squash it down as far as possible when they pull the strap...

Might PM Professor and see what they are doing at their track..

hi revv, how man inches would you say half way is??
About 3 - 4 inches.

There are a lot of guys that slam the front as far as possible. When you do this you are restricting the turning radius and handling of the bike in a major way. Yes, I know that turning does not exist on the strip, but when you hit the return road, and ride the pits you have to have the steering.

You also want to have a little suspension travel.

hi revv, how man inches would you say half way is??
About 3 - 4 inches.

There are a lot of guys that slam the front as far as possible. When you do this you are restricting the turning radius and handling of the bike in a major way. Yes, I know that turning does not exist on the strip, but when you hit the return road, and ride the pits you have to have the steering.

You also want to have a little suspension travel.
lol yeah i know what you mean the first time i strapped my bike down i pulled it all the way down and couldnt hardly even turn to avoid getting water on my front tire at the water box,

I started off strapping it all the way down, and was still fighting wheelies. It was suggested to back it off some and so now I strap it all the way down and then let it up about 1 inch and the wheelie problem isn't as bad.

mine is strapped all the way down as far as it can go. I can barely fit a finger in between the fender and the nose on mine.

Lowered 2 inch front...strapped all the way down at the trac.  No turning issue for me.

DSCN1426.JPG

Back