Stands for my Busa

OK, so the general consensus around most circles of sportbikes is that Pitbull makes the best stands. So playing a little devil's advocate here..

What makes Pitbull stands better?

I do see they are TIG welded. And made in the USA. The tube diameter seems less obtrusive.

Things I don't necessarily like:

* They require a wrench to adjust the width. Some competitors use wing nuts to allow quick adjustments by hand.

* They are finished with a zinc plating. I would expect the competitors powdercoat finish to resist rust better. Why does Pitbull choose zinc?

* They are very expensive. One could purchase two T-rex stands for the price of one Pitbull stand.

* Only two wheels in total, versus 4 as some of the competitors use. Two wheels on each side of the stand will typically balance the load on the wheel's axle/bolt better than a single wheel on each side like Pitbull uses. But maybe this is a moot point.

So what exactly sells a guy on paying $150 for a Pitbull stand?

(PS - I'm only playing devils advocate because I'm in the market for another set of stands and am considering Pitbull)

Watch what stand you buy for the rear. Some may have issues with the handle hitting the tail light/rear. I tried some no name stand once and had to remove the tail light lens in order to get the stand to work without damaging anything. The Busa's tail sit back a bit compared to most sport bikes.

I'm actually thinking of getting a new one since I got my busa. I was originally using the trackside stand from cyclegear for my 600, but it seems that that stand is a bit too narrow for the busa. It will sit on it, but it's a little difficult to actually get the stand to hook onto the spools for the actual lift.

I have a set of the cheap Venom stands, believe I paid 70 for the set. Well made, don't feel cheap, or wobbly! Unless you are like a buddy of mine and think you need to pay the highest price to look cool, there's no reason to buy pitbull when you can get both stands for a fraction of the cost!

Stands are no different than anything else in this industry. Someone comes out with a very good product and in no time it is "emulated" by others for a fraction of the cost. For 99% of the people out there the lower cost emulations are absolutely fine and in some cases may even be better. For me and a lot of others the Pitbull stands are absolutely bomb proof and I like that they are made here in the US. I got mine second hand in like new condition via Craigslist and saved a ton.

OK, so the general consensus around most circles of sportbikes is that Pitbull makes the best stands. So playing a little devil's advocate here..

What makes Pitbull stands better?

I do see they are TIG welded. And made in the USA. The tube diameter seems less obtrusive.

Things I don't necessarily like:

* They require a wrench to adjust the width. Some competitors use wing nuts to allow quick adjustments by hand.

* They are finished with a zinc plating. I would expect the competitors powdercoat finish to resist rust better. Why does Pitbull choose zinc?

* They are very expensive. One could purchase two T-rex stands for the price of one Pitbull stand.

* Only two wheels in total, versus 4 as some of the competitors use. Two wheels on each side of the stand will typically balance the load on the wheel's axle/bolt better than a single wheel on each side like Pitbull uses. But maybe this is a moot point.

So what exactly sells a guy on paying $150 for a Pitbull stand?

(PS - I'm only playing devils advocate because I'm in the market for another set of stands and am considering Pitbull)

Let me answer this question for you: I bought several other stands, then bought a set of Pitbulls for my track bike. When you go to a trackday, almost all you see are PITBULLS. They are the most solid sturdy stand on the market, PERIOD. Morever, recommend you search craigslist for a used set; replace a few parts (directly from pitbull - you can't hardley get replacement parts from other mfgrs) and they are GOOD AS NEW.

CAUTION (this is the same with almost all the stands): If you have the OEM License plate holder on, the handle of the stand catches in it. Also, you cannot get the front wheel out unless you remove or loosen the front fender (because the stand by itself doesn't lift the wheel high enough off the ground to get the wheel out)...

I've got pit-bull stands right now... but I might ditch them for these!

Phoenix Racing Stands on Kickstarter

Eventhough all stands are pretty much the same, this is a pretty cool idea. Video is at the bottom of the page.

*Edit* They're a little pricey!

Cool, but don't see how you are gonna get the wheel out with that bar across the front and back....

CAUTION (this is the same with almost all the stands): If you have the OEM License plate holder on, the handle of the stand catches in it. Also, you cannot get the front wheel out unless you remove or loosen the front fender (because the stand by itself doesn't lift the wheel high enough off the ground to get the wheel out)...

I have the Standard Pitbull Rear and the PitBull Headlift on the front and don't have either of the issues listed above with mine. Gen 1 with +1 links in the rear and 1.1kg Racetech springs in the front. When I put new springs in the front and got my sag dialed in I have a little more clearance over the front fender to sneak the stand in there.

20150716_181211.jpg

I got a Direct Lift(along with front and rear Pit Bulls),best choice I ever made.About a 1/2 dozen ht. adjustments and air operated,and always leave it on the lift when not riding.No more sitting on the floor,my old back and knees can't take it anymore.:laugh:Can use the regular stands along with it just like on the floor,only now everything's at waist height.Have had it for 4 years now and never a day's regret.
I don't know how I missed this - but you sir, have a fantastic garage![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back