Quieter exhaust worth the cost?

DougE

Registered
I would like some opinions regarding my situation. I have a aftermarket headers (previous owner claimed it was Brock's) and a short exhaust tip. The bike has a PCV and seems to be tuned properly. Doesnt have decel pops at all. The only downside to this setup is that it is slightly too loud for me.

I am in the process of verifying if the headers are genuine Brock's and considering buying the muffler that fits the pipes. I am trying to weigh my options if it would be worth spending the time and money on getting the muffler replaced?

At what price silence? Your answer would be the best fit.

1 muffler, or 2 on the current setup?

As I've said in other posts on this forum, slip-ons offer the luxury of being swappable, even on a daily basis, if desired. Depending on just how restricted (quieter) you go, you might have to rethink your map. Ideally, you'd determine your current setup AFR which gives you an idea how much room (or air n fuel) you have to play with. Based on that (or even not, depending on how aggressively you ride), buy the can that sounds right, have a muffler shop make you a midpipe connector that fits up the (Brocks?) header & the new can and ride quietly.

OR buy the new Gen 2.5 Busa. It will be significantly quieter, less pollutive (my Oxford dictionary does not list that as a word, but this spellchecker doesn't seem to mind), and considerably faster...I believe...

[EDIT] Curious: "...seems to be tuned properly." This, based on ??

[EDIT_02] Or buy a used OEM header w/ cans and put that on (cheaper than a Gen 2.5, more expensive than a slip on)

I would like some opinions regarding my situation. I have a aftermarket headers (previous owner claimed it was Brock's) and a short exhaust tip. The bike has a PCV and seems to be tuned properly. Doesnt have decel pops at all. The only downside to this setup is that it is slightly too loud for me.

I am in the process of verifying if the headers are genuine Brock's and considering buying the muffler that fits the pipes. I am trying to weigh my options if it would be worth spending the time and money on getting the muffler replaced?
If it is a brocks then just know his exhausts aren't much quieter then that tip you have now so for what your saying you'll definitely want to get something he offers a baffle for. Also i noticed on the one I just installed for a buddy that the outlet seems larger then my yoshi at the end of the header so not sure what other options would fit a brocks header.

As I've said in other posts on this forum, slip-ons offer the luxury of being swappable, even on a daily basis, if desired. Depending on just how restricted (quieter) you go, you might have to rethink your map. Ideally, you'd determine your current setup AFR which gives you an idea how much room (or air n fuel) you have to play with. Based on that (or even not, depending on how aggressively you ride), buy the can that sounds right, have a muffler shop make you a midpipe connector that fits up the (Brocks?) header & the new can and ride quietly.

OR buy the new Gen 2.5 Busa. It will be significantly quieter, less pollutive (my Oxford dictionary does not list that as a word, but this spellchecker doesn't seem to mind), and considerably faster...I believe...
Thanks for the reply. I saw your comment on my other post before i bought the bike. It is a single side exhaust. I used to have a brock's slip on on my other Gen 2 and was fine with that sound. I've only had the bike a week or two, so I'll see if i get used to that sound before i spend the money on it.

If it is a brocks then just know his exhausts aren't much quieter then that tip you have now so for what your saying you'll definitely want to get something he offers a baffle for. Also i noticed on the one I just installed for a buddy that the outlet seems larger then my yoshi at the end of the header so not sure what other options would fit a brocks header.
Gotcha. I replied to HayaWakened and told him i had Brock's slip on exhaust on my other Gen 2 when i had it two years ago. I've only had this bike for a week or two so i'll see if i get used to it again.

I definitely dont like the stock exhaust so i might end up keeping my current set up. Thanks for your response!

[EDIT] Curious: "...seems to be tuned properly." This, based on ??

[EDIT_02] Or buy a used OEM header w/ cans and put that on (cheaper than a Gen 2.5, more expensive than a slip on)
regarding the tune. from my knowledge (and i may have been misinformed) since the exhaust system has been completely changed, it would alter the air/fuel ratio and usually cause decel pops. Since the bike has aftermarket exhausts and a PCV, no decel pop or noticeable issues, I assumed it was tuned at some point.

I plan on putting it on the dyno to see if anything needs to be done regarding the air/fuel ration.

I'm hooked
Hope you keep the forum updated on your choices/progress
Will do. Just took off the fairing to take pictures of the headers so I can send them to brocks for verification.

94D74538-36B6-4EF7-8F8B-DF57669E38E5.jpeg
8EC3E13E-40DD-4B6C-8D97-599F4068E8B8.jpeg
8AF01A2C-E49D-464A-B93D-B6AA6943F03B.jpeg
800AFF08-AD7C-4BF2-BAF4-7EFD7B222740.jpeg

My Brock’s AH1 vs an Akra setup is night n day in quietness. The Akra sounds soo deep toned and quieter and should make the same power as a Brock’s

Brock's confirmed that the header pipes are part of their CT Megaphone system.

I would need the bracket $69.00, Muffler $829.00, and springs $16.58. Total $914 in order to have the complete exhaust.

Should not be too hard to find a used quite aftermarket can on ebay with the right diameter pipe and have a mid pipe fabbed up at a good muffler shop.

cheers
ken

Should not be too hard to find a used quite aftermarket can on ebay with the right diameter pipe and have a mid pipe fabbed up at a good muffler shop.

cheers
ken
Yea i think ill have to go with a used can. Price is kind of steep for me.

Gotcha. I replied to HayaWakened and told him i had Brock's slip on exhaust on my other Gen 2 when i had it two years ago. I've only had this bike for a week or two so i'll see if i get used to it again.

I definitely dont like the stock exhaust so i might end up keeping my current set up. Thanks for your response!
Not sure about the CT series but I know the full exhaust vs slip ons is a big difference as well.

Well, it looks like a quieter exhaust was worth the price. I rode for a few hours with the old setup and the entire time all I could here was the exhaust. Even with ear plugs, the exhaust tip was way too loud for me.

Once I got home, I called up Brocks and placed the order for the muffler to complete the system I already have.

i just installed the muffler with the noise reduction plug and it makes a huge difference. The noise is tolerable now and the tone on the exhaust is amazing.

i also got the street use map from brocks and put it on the PCV. I’m not sure if it’s a placebo effect or the bike feels faster with acceleration.

I didn’t want to spend the money at first, but today I found out it was absolutely worth it.

AB5E5645-8CCF-4C64-B48A-7C38BC158F1C.jpeg

Well, it looks like a quieter exhaust was worth the price. I rode for a few hours with the old setup and the entire time all I could here was the exhaust. Even with ear plugs, the exhaust tip was way too loud for me.

Once I got home, I called up Brocks and placed the order for the muffler to complete the system I already have.

i just installed the muffler with the noise reduction plug and it makes a huge difference. The noise is tolerable now and the tone on the exhaust is amazing.

i also got the street use map from brocks and put it on the PCV. I’m not sure if it’s a placebo effect or the bike feels faster with acceleration.

I didn’t want to spend the money at first, but today I found out it was absolutely worth it.

View attachment 1633152
I ended up having my buddy order a baffle for his brocks pentacarbon so that I could stand to ride next to him lol... it definitely helped tho and it seemed to make it sound better too. That exhaust looks really good :thumbsup:

Back