Head And Cam Worth The Money

I've been riding along time had gotten rid of my bikes prior had a gen 1 and gen 2 bought another gen 2 just trying to get some insight on some of the better cam piston and head combo's out there looking for 210-240 horsepower don't want a turbo or to spray if I don't have to

Hi. I would sat 13 to 13.5 to 1, web cams. The head Ward Carpenter, SAE Outlaw, Boosted Cycle Perf. What are you using the bike for? How much HP do you want? How much $ do you want to spend? Turbos are a lot of fun. But the motor is only as strong as the weakest part. My motor turbo + NOS. head work Inconel valves custom ground cams by Web,custom JE pistons, custom rods by C P Corrillo and a Marine billet stroker crank. Trans outside output shaft support and all Robinson gears. Clutch MTC Gen 2 lock-up with air assist. And a lot more. Bike is built for LSR racing and street.
I want to keep it where I can ride it on the street don't want a turbo looking for 210-240 hp

I've been riding along time had gotten rid of my bikes prior had a gen 1 and gen 2 bought another gen 2 just trying to get some insight on some of the better cam piston and head combo's out there looking for 210-240 horsepower don't want a turbo or to spray if I don't have to

So you dont need pistons for a 210HP Build. Factory are fine

I love the busa motor. Its always there for you, no matter what gear or rpm. I have heard that with a turbo the bike is not so friendly. Rpms become critical and riding the engine on the pipe is critical. There is also power that can hit in a lean if you aren't careful.

So I just was never convinced a turbo was going to be comfortable in my kind of riding which is twisted back roads. I frankly never got off my busa needing more power, although I'll admit there are times I could have used a bit more power. So I think low 200s would be fine for me. I'm looking at a Carpenter head and cams.

I love the busa motor. Its always there for you, no matter what gear or rpm. I have heard that with a turbo the bike is not so friendly. Rpms become critical and riding the engine on the pipe is critical. There is also power that can hit in a lean if you aren't careful.

So I just was never convinced a turbo was going to be comfortable in my kind of riding which is twisted back roads. I frankly never got off my busa needing more power, although I'll admit there are times I could have used a bit more power. So I think low 200s would be fine for me. I'm looking at a Carpenter head and cams.
Hi. It looks like a good package they have. I only know I guy with one of there motors. I am not sure how good it was. I talked with Rick Stetson when we were doing my head, he said there is a good start. Rick did the porting and Andy ordered the Web custom ground cams I also went with + 1mm bigger valves Inconel valves bronze seats and guides. Also with Paxx valve springs and Ti retainers. I do not think you need what is done to mine. Call Webb cams and DME also even just to see what they say. Please let me know what you kind out and what you do.

So basically if you want a bulletproof motor that will last 150K miles, has great power, and is extremely rideable, leave it stock. Any gains you get from changing the stock Busa are going to have some sort of draw back. I'm not an expert, but here's my assessment:

1. Turbos are for going straight really really fast. They are an efficient ($$$) way to get big power and can be fairly reliable if the bike is built by a knowledgeable builder. But they also radically change the character of the Busa as you need stretching and lowering to handle that HP effectively. I think the turbo is the perfect drag engine, but can be ridden daily on the street.

2. Superchargers are more rideable but are complex and a bit heavy. They do not offer the HP gains of a Turbo and their power is a bit parasitic, especially on the low end. However the power is pretty usable and lower in the range than turbos. I can't see going for an SC to drag race, but it can be used as a daily rider. SC reliability is probably at question as there are a lot of moving parts added to the intake side.

3. Nitrous shots will get you some power, but apparently a the expense of making the engine consumable. It's also only a quick boost in power and requires filling a nitrous bottle and keeping it relatively cool. Not my thing even if it's pretty cheap.

4. All engine is the best option IMHO but there are some considerations here too. The first and biggest is that the isn't much HP to get in this way, maybe 200 to 260 or so. Worse, to get 260 on all engine will cost as much or even more than a 300 HP turbo kit. Big displacement brings heat, and can make your Busa more fragile than either a turbo or a SC. I have been told that big power usually moves the power up in the RPM range. SO IMHO, all engine is for those who want a little edge in power and the bragging rights against the new liter bikes but is still not looking to win legal or illegal races. Oh yeah, you need to be willing to spend $5K to get 240 hp (assuming you don't do the work yourself) for this little bump.

So I wrote this to start a fight :poke:. But I think a good discussion on these options would help a lot of people here make decisions on the mod path of their Busas.

I guess it all comes down to, do you want hp or torque? Do you want low/middle range stump pulling power that moves the earth, or do you want the high hp figures up in the top end rev range that many of us can't use. As Kawasaki has shown with the zx14, cubes rules and torque matters.
I'm talking to my builder about mods to get low/mid range increase where I spend 80% of my riding time. But not risk losing reliability or longevity

Bore it to a 1441 and do a head cam combo. That will get you where you want to be. Horsepower ain’t all you need. Weight reduction is also a game changer. I have a gen 1 that hangs with newer liter bikes when it’s on motor. It weighs 450 in street trim and geared right for rolls. On spray it hasn’t been beat yet. You can have all the power in the world but if you don’t use it correct you will be slow.

Back