Part 1: The lever saga (stock lever)

Got PAZZO hardness testing done....

Chinese will have to wait till i have time tomorrow (i hope)...

Pretty uninteresting results (at least as far as i am concerned)... As far as you people are concerned, it just means the pazzo's are as advertised at least as HARDNESS is concerned...

Real post coming in a second...

So for the pazzo Vickers Hardness testing...

With a sample size of ten locations i got an average of 107.7 , with a max of 111.75 and minimium of 103...

This is pretty standard fair for a 6061 t6 aluminum piece, so nothing exciting... Its exactly what it should be yet again...

In contrast... the CAST piece averaged right at 100 VH, with numbers as low as 85...

Again, this is pretty much to be expected, as cast pieces tend to be much more susceptible to things like impurities when they are being made, which will create an anisotropic, non homogeneous type situation... It almost acts (and many times is) like a multi-phase composition similar to for instance cast irons ... Though i am taking liberties with many definitions for the sake of ease of understanding...

Billet when its made tends to be a significant increase in purity (frequently many magnitudes more pure) over a cast piece with the exception of its alloying elements, leading to a much more homogeneous isotropic situation... That means for any specific point in the lever, your likely to have the same mechanical properties, and much less likely to run into a weak zone..

Putting this into something that makes sense, when you analyse a part for failure, you don't see an absolute fail point.. Instead you get a probability curve of LIKELY failure points, where for a given system, x% would fail from a sample size of y components...

If you can narrow the deviation of the properties, you make the range of failure more predictable, because the chance for significantly weaker points is less likely...

Or, using the weakest link analogy, the stock lever, is made from a handful of random strength links, of at least similar strength, though some stronger, and some weaker....

The pazzo would on the other hand be made of a handful of links, which are all very identical in strength, so the system would fail only when the links as a whole had reached its failure point...

However, its important to realize that while the hardness is indicative of some properties, it by no means tells the WHOLE story, or even most of it.... SO, the jury is still out in many ways... I guess i just want to iterate the importance of not OVER reaching when it comes to interpreting anything about what i am saying or concluding..

NOW, SOME PICTURES! :cheerleader:

The Chinese impostor arrives!

2011-02-26_12-27-35_456.jpg

One of these is not like the other.... can you decide which is which??

2011-02-26_12-59-59_284.jpg

2011-02-26_13-00-13_268.jpg

2011-02-28_17-04-32_37.jpg

For blanca, i promised Saiid pictures of his levers death! YUP, A CHOPPED UP PAZZO!!!

2011-02-28_17-12-35_546.jpg

Bits n pieces, that piece is what gets mounted for the metallography...

2011-02-28_17-14-37_100.jpg

Mounted up for some testing..

2011-02-28_18-19-38_179.jpg

The hardness testing continues!!

pazzomount107hv.jpg

Lastly, a really poopy picture of the mount... a little on the dark side for some reason...

2011-02-28_20-45-45_681.jpg

I hope i can get some china lever hardness testing for tomorrow...

OH, almost forgot...

the chinese lever weights more! its actually a fatter lever in most places compared to the pazzo.... good for big hand people perhaps?

74.9781 grams vs 78.565 grams

the reason being, the chinese one tends to leave more material in a few places... a strength advantage to the chinese lever actually over the pazzo.

though i plan to get the dial caliper out and see exactly where these extra bits of metal are to evaluate if it really is an advantage.. However, just from eyeballing it, i know they leave more material in the stem of the lever either by design, or by oopsies of cnc programming...

in either case, if the materials are the same at the end of the day, that means the stem of the chinese lever will be likely stronger than the pazzo as they leave more material in locations that would increase cross sectional area in stressed locations...

just an interesting result from today...

OH, almost forgot...

the chinese lever weights more! its actually a fatter lever in most places compared to the pazzo.... good for big hand people perhaps?

74.9781 grams vs 78.565 grams

the reason being, the chinese one tends to leave more material in a few places... a strength advantage to the chinese lever actually over the pazzo.

though i plan to get the dial caliper out and see exactly where these extra bits of metal are to evaluate if it really is an advantage.. However, just from eyeballing it, i know they leave more material in the stem of the lever either by design, or by oopsies of cnc programming...

in either case, if the materials are the same at the end of the day, that means the stem of the chinese lever will be likely stronger than the pazzo as they leave more material in locations that would increase cross sectional area in stressed locations...

just an interesting result from today...

ehh thats probly Pazzo shedding a few grams of weight savings and not intentional by the chinese to make a strong lever :laugh: I may like my chinese levers but I know the chinese arent out to beat pazzo and make the best levers. The strength will probly never be tested but that is still a very interesting fact! :thumbsup: I will eagerly be awaiting tomorrows results!

Ooh this will be too cool if the Chinese lever turns out to be a better stronger lever and all we are paying for is the name.
Pazzo will most def get a link to this thread in email if that turns out.
I'd love to see if they sign up so as to post a rebuttal.

Ooh this will be too cool if the Chinese lever turns out to be a better stronger lever and all we are paying for is the name.
Pazzo will most def get a link to this thread in email if that turns out.
I'd love to see if they sign up so as to post a rebuttal.

I fail to see how a Harder alloy in a lever is makes it that much better. I'll agree that most of what you get from a Pazzo is the name. I won't dispute that it's harder, but tell me how much harder is better. How many more cycles will a Pazzo lever provide over a stock one before it becomes unserviceable? Tighter tolerances (less slop or play) would be better standard than hardness, but that would seem to be negated, given the varying quality control and tolerances of the OEM mountings. The best fit would probably over sized, so it could be "fitted" to each application.

I would consider a Pazzo better than a non adjustable lever, but it only has 6 positions? Same as a stock adjustable? ASV has dozens of increments. Levers are more cosmetic than functional in most cases.

Goatkart,

Thanks for your efforts and time to produce this data. I find myself checking back in several times a day waiting/hoping for the next installment. :beerchug:

I'm confident that there will be slight differences between the products, but nothing that will justify Pazzo's extreme price differential. You don't always get what you think you're paying for. :whistle:

RESULTS ARE IN FOR CHINA....

except im not going to tell you what they said yet...

Because im working...

Have to wait until i can get home to crunch numbers...

So, ill leave you with a cliff hanger...

HAS PAZZO FALLEN, HAS THE 100 DOLLAR TITAN SEEN HIS LAST STAND...

WILL OPRAH EAT ANOTHER SAMMICH...

all this and more later...

I will say this, the results are interesting, and it will leave people asking some questions..

:cheerleader:

Hell, it left me scratching my head a little bit on this one, enough to re-test the pazzo again a few times to double check results...

MWHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :beerchug:

ps: anyone rooting for a side must have all bribes in by the end of the working day CST :lol:

I will go ahead and speculate that the fact he had to go back and re-test the Pazzos was to insure that they were indeed inferior to the Chazzos:laugh:

If those little grade school Gold Stars are that important...............Here ya go!:whistle: I love the cute hearts.

LOL, i knew i should have kept my mouth shut :)

I think we found the spam flaw in the "like system" hahaha

pardini with the 13 likes :moon:

I will go ahead and speculate that the fact he had to go back and re-test the Pazzos was to insure that they were indeed inferior to the Chazzos:laugh:

Speculate away! :stirpot::stirpot:

I feel like i should start a poll before i release the results :)

Back