Oil Filters

I have a stack of K&N's in my garage, just waiting in line for their turn.

Never had any problems with 'em. Maybe 'cause I ride like an old man on a hardley!

laugh.gif

--Wag--

I'm ready to change my oil again and was reading this thread. As an auto dealership service manager, I was concerned about possibly using an automobile filter on my motorcycle and called Purolater's filter hot line (800-526-4250) to find out what the differences are between the ML16818 that Purolater recommends for the Busa and the PL14610 some of our posters are using.

To cut out a lot of the technical mumbo-jumbo, the internal valving calibrations are different and the metal cannister of a motorcycle filter has a lot higher burst rating to withstand the pressures created by motorcycle engines, which as we all know, build revs much more quickly and can generate RPMs that are three times that of an automobile engine. The fellow with whom I spoke said that anyone who uses an automobile filter on a motorcycle is asking for a big problem, especially when Purolater's motorcycle filters only sell for a little more than most automobile filters. He closed by saying that he would use any company's motorcycle filter on his bike before he would use even his own company's automobile filter on it. That says something.

Although many auto parts chains carry a few Fram motorcycle filters (the local Advance stores stock two Fram numbers), he advised me that Pep Boys stock some of Purolater's bike filters in every store. I called my local PB and they in fact do stock the ML16818 for $6.99.

Ed
+1

Back