NGK CR9EK sparkplugs

Rguy,

The ignition coils on the Busa may not be able to generate/transfer enough energy (EMF) to fire two arcs needed for the dual electrode plugs. Since the coil has been downsized, the power (heat) ratings have to be decreased also.

The secondary resistance is spec'd at 8-15 Kohm, this is normal for todays sportbikes and should supply enough voltage out. The difference in plug resistance is so minute compared to the secondary of the coil that it should not be an issue. Most resistor plug caps were 10k and didn't affect ouput voltage much.

My only concern would be the coils sustained ability to drive the dual electrode. You would think it requires more energy to fire two arcs than one....unless the gaps were closer. The wider the gap the more voltage required. Current flow is very low on secondary side...probably low uamps. Have to think more about this.

Dave

Just get the 1.39 autolites at Advance...the NGK`s are 1.49....better than 5 bucks at dealer. Old war story...When I was running pro-mod we had a lean problem in quarter mile and it would actually burn the tips off NGK`s. I showed one to Elmer Trett and Larry Mcbride(top fuel)...they both ran autolite because they said it was only plug that would hold up....ran them from that day on and never burnt another tip off...I know part of it was my problem but that proved to me what is the superior plug...just my measley 2 cents and I`ll shut up too!!!

Dave I have serious doubts that the plug will fire to both ground paths simutaniously.The odds of the conditions for this to happen are astronomical. The resistance to both ground paths would have to be identical.Any difference in resistance ,like .000001 of an ohm and the spark will jump to the lesser side,electricity is lazy.Even both side were gapped to the micron level the voltage would change the ground paths resistance of that electrode enough were it would probably jump to the other side during its next discharge.Listen I love this topic but damn if you guys are worried run the other plugs :).This is America dammit and we have choices :)God I love this country!If I burn out my coils I will tell you guys and let you laugh at me cause thats the kinda guy I am.

Rguy,

I've used them before on earlier Zuk's and never had a problem. You point about never firing at the same time may be correct. Just for curiousity I'll have to put a plug in a coil tester and see what happens. Not trying to knock the idea...just adding different ideas to the discussion.

I doubt highly they will damage anything. NGK is just covering their butt probably, most manufacturers do. The unshrouded flame is helpful to combustion, that's why they used them in the 7 (small chamber).

Dave

Shutting your friends up?????I`m a nice guy ask me I`ll tell ya,lol.Well I think the main advantage to the EK`s over the standards is an unshrouded flame front in theory it should create a more balanced flame front& complete burn they should have longer life,because of the 2 paths the spark can travel hence less electrode wear on a single point.I also felt 8ft lbs was to little but I am so skit of stripping the threads in the heads.I also had to tighten my plugs twice! last year but this was before I used a torque wrench...hopefully it`s enough???anyone??? Oh my god dont take my word as gospel I`m just passing along what I`ve read and heard and experianced :).

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 13 January 2000).]

Funny you should mention the NGK single electrode plugs failing that way.I was at a show years ago and asked the Kawasaki guy why the (new)94 zx9r was running the dual electrode plugs and he said they were having problems with the single electrode jobbies failing/breaking on the track.

If you are concerned about flame travel index them...quick one for guys that have never did this......look down on plug from above put magic marker mark in line with open side of plug electrode..put in bike..tighten ...magic mark line should align to intake valves...if not put on extra spark plug washer and this should cure the alignment ...I never did this on a mid 7 second turbo...could not see any benefit BUT to each his own.....

GSX1300RGUY,

Thanks for your concern shown in your Jan. 10th reply above.

Have indeed canned the set and put new ones in with gap as they came out of the box (around .65mm or .025" I found) as this was close enough to minimum spec for Busa and the tool(s) you mentioned are nowhere to be found here at normal stores, feeler blades only.
Guess that the Snap-on guy has them but this would have taken too long ... next time round.

I hoped you used a torque wrench to put those puppies in :) 8ft lbs if I remember correctly.I can`t remember what the gap was...dammit? I`ve been tuning up all my buddies bikes and it`s all a blur..........

Torque wrench is critical requirement for me.

The things I've destroyed!?!?!

Even need it on wheel axles and such as things just never feel tight enough for me.

GSX: My dealer called today and those damn CR9EVX plugs are $12.50 a pop (same as EKs); they better be worth it. Two more comments: one, if only one electrode fires, what is the advantage of having two? And two, at 8 ft lb I don't think you even compress the gasket. I found much accurate and easier (on new plugs only) to go 1/2 to 3/4 turns, depending on brand, after they seat. This will compress the washer and it works perfect on aluminum heads; you don't want the plugs loosening on you, like they do from the factory. I removed mine (at 200 miles) with no wrench; 2 could be removed with my fingers only. Scary, uh?
And hey, don't shut my buddies up man. We are just having fun while challenging your post. Go ahead and dig up your college physics books, call NGK, or whatever necessary so you can answer our questions.
Or you can send us to hell too; it's OK. You are my buddy too.
Have a nice day!
JC

[This message has been edited by valklex (edited 13 January 2000).]

I have used the 9ek plugs the entire season 7000mi.150 1/4 mile passes .they burn clean .I run A haltec mixture indicator and saw no change on the meter.it did help in crispening it up though.

If it is of any interest, my 98 Kat 600 specifies the stock plug as CR9EK, I can't imagine beefier coils being in the Kat versus the Busa? I think you are pretty safe with these, they worked well for me, changed them out after 4,000 miles.
Martin

[This message has been edited by Martinm2 (edited 20 January 2000).]

I have run the NGK JR9C, 12mm version of the dual electrode CR9EK plug in my turbo GSXR 1100 and found that I could run more boost before the engine would ping, I was also able to add more fuel and make more HP.

Has anyone tried adding fuel with these plugs on the dyno???

Turbo Rick

at 7,000 miles pulled stock plugs [cre9] out for the 1st time... gap was a little wide ... cleaned and re-set at .030, just below the max factory setting of .026-.031

While the air box was off I noticed the throttle bodies were a little dirty, though it has the stock air cleaner ... I assumed it was "gas vapor" typical appearance with carbs at and around the buterflies ...

cleaned the throttle bodies with "q" tips and clean rage soaked with carb cleaner ...

runs great!!! and it cost nothing but time

Alan
p.s.
I just ride on the the street ... no racing ... but I am very happy with the result!

Here's an article that may answer several of the above questions. It was originally written by Dan Thompson:

>>>I have heard that platinum plugs aren't very good for performance...how is this so?

All things being equal, a more powerful spark will create higher cylinder pressure which will create more power. The power of a spark is determined by its voltage (more voltage = more powerful spark).

Aside from variables such as cylinder pressure and A/F ratio, the amount of voltage required to jump across the gap of a given type of spark plug is determined by the plug gap. A smaller plug gap requires less voltage to jump across the gap and a larger plug gap requires more voltage to jump across the gap.

There is a way to reduce the amount of voltage required to jump across the gap of a plug. By increasing the number of sharp edges that the spark can jump from and to......or by using an electrode material that is a more efficient conductor than the standard steel material (like platinum) you can decrease the amount of voltage required to "jump the gap". The only problem is that these "specialty" plugs will produce a less powerful spark than a standard plug will at the same gap.

This means that, as long as your ignition system can provide enough voltage to jump the gap on the spark plug all of the time, with these "specialty" plugs installed in your car (bike), your engine will produce less power than it will with standard spark plugs. The only way you can regain the power lost with these "specialty" plugs is to open their gap out farther (a wider gap requires more voltage to jump the gap......causing a slightly longer "rise time").

I've seen a number of cases where people have installed SplitFire, Torquemaster or platinum plugs in their car (bike) in the place of standard spark plugs and have complained of reduced power. In all of these cases the specialty plugs were installed using the plug gap specified for the car's original standard plugs (with the exception of the Torquemaster, whose gap is not adjustable). The reduced spark power due to the reduced voltage requirement of these plugs was the culprit.

Nissan DID address this problem by specifying a larger plug gap when using platinum plugs (0.039" to 0.044") instead of standard plugs (0.032" to 0.035"). In this case, the platinums will produce roughly the SAME spark energy as the standard plugs while providing an extended service interval (50K to 60K miles for platinums versus 20K to 30K miles for standards.....on autos).

>>>Has anyone ever tried the regular NGK plug in their car (bike)?

I'm running them right now. No problems yet. It's just a question of spending $1 to $2 per plug (for standards) and replacing every 20K to 30K miles or spending $3 and up per plug (for platinums) and replacing every 50K to 60K miles (auto).

Platinum should be gapped at 0.039in to 0.044in and Copper at 0.031in and 0.035in. (auto).

I have the CR9EVX (platinum) installed and I didn't notice any difference at all. My dealer didn't want to exchange them for the EKs, so I had to keep them, and at $13 a pop, it was a rip-off. Next time I'll get the stock ones. I don't think premium plugs make a difference on a stock bike.

[This message has been edited by valklex (edited 01 February 2000).]

Busa Factory Service Manual specifies:

0.7 - 0.8 mm = 0.028 - 0.031 in

page 2-6

Back