NGK Plugs

Pinky Winky

Donating Member
Registered
Is anyone using the NGK Plugs? I need to do a tune on the bike and decided to do it the same time I replace the exhaust and do everything else all in one tear down. So Im looking at the NGK Iridium plugs but are they any better than the non iridium plugs by NGK or just stock plugs? I dont want to be wasting money in the things that dont work. Or if anyone knows of any other plugs that are good.

Thanks

Just stick with the stock NGK plug for the bike.. anything else is just going to lighten your wallet... (but lighter is faster :) )

Just stick with the stock NGK plug for the bike.. anything else is just going to lighten your wallet... (but lighter is faster :) )

I will slightly disagree with the esteemed member from Biscuitville.

Not the "lighter is faster" part... that is an accurate statement.

But with regard to the Iridium version of the NGK plug, it is true that your butt-dyno will be hard-pressed to detect a performance increase with the Iridium plugs versus the stock copper plug; the motivation for the Iridiums is their lifespan, which is typically almost twice the non-Iridium plug, for most applications.

Too, note that the stock spark plug for the Gen II Hayabusa *is* the Iridium NGK. :agree:

But with regard to the Iridium version of the NGK plug, it is true that your butt-dyno will be hard-pressed to detect a performance increase with the Iridium plugs versus the stock copper plug; the motivation for the Iridiums is their lifespan, which is typically almost twice the non-Iridium plug, for most applications.

Too, note that the stock spark plug for the Gen II Hayabusa *is* the Iridium NGK. :agree:

AHHH Great I hate when you guys say different things. Ok which will work better with a dry 50 shot?

now you got me confused :laugh:

Allow the following elaboration:

The factory (stock) spark plugs for the GenII Hayabusa (2008 and on) is the NGK CR9EIA-9 Laser Iridium spark plug.

From all accounts, the earlier generation Hayabusa apparently came with plain old garden-variety NGK CR9E spark plugs. Which work fine in those model years.

However, I feel that Suzuki *may* have dorked up the change interval in the Service Manual, because it indicates a 7500-mile change interval. In my experience, this a very abrupt lifespan for an Iridium plug. Iridiums should last a solid 12K-16K, thereabouts. That 7500 mile figure is one I am familiar with for the plain old CR9E's, but not Iridiums.

They should last longer, I had about 600 miles on a set in my 99 before it was stolen. I saw "NO" performance advantage, they did lighten my wallet, therefore If I could do over I would stick with the stock NGK or the V-Power NGK. My opinion...

And if I could have a do over I would have sat in the bushes with my 45 all night until those lowlife SOB"s came to steal her. Would have taken my chances in court, "since they all would have been carring weapons, and I was in fear for my life"...:whistle:

I have the iridiums from NGK, the bike starts a little better, I dont have to worry about changing them for a long time, and the dyno numbers were impressive for the lack of parts that I have so MAYBE they helped. I like them.

Use the OEM replacements.

The air filter needs attention at about the same time, and once your in that far, its easy to swap plugs.

Besides, it's nice to have fresh plugs :cheerleader:

I work on vehicles for a living and i put whatever the factory has in them if i can get them. Mods. can make a difference but why go away from factory specs because they spend a lot of money getting horsepower correct. I agree with mr. biscuit.

I've had Iridium in my bike for 20,000 miles. No performance advantantage, but I just pulled them and they still look like new. I will most likely use them from now on.

Ron

I've did a test in my Eagle Talon from the Stock NGK, a cooler NGK (which makes the engine run cooler) and the NGK Iridium, and by far the Irdium was smoother and my butt-o-meter said they where better to..

Anyone know the part number for the NGK Iridiums for a 05 Busa?? I'm due for a set over the winter..

CR9EIA-9 bought four of these shipped to my door for roughly $36
Yes a little bit of $ but worth it in the long run....

As far as the plugs, I've run CR9E's, and CR9EK's. I will say, the EK's got my attention. When the throttles are off, the EK's pronounce it more, and when the throttles are tight the EK's pronounce that also. Haven't run the Iridium's as of yet. +2 on the air filter change. Makes a major difference in your motor's ability pump out the HP ! :super:

Back