Need help with driveshaft sprocket nut

psycobusa

Registered
trying to change sprockets and chain but this damn nut is killing me. anybody have any tips to get it off. i wrapped a steel bar with a towel and placed it thru the swing arm so the wheel wouldnt turn while i turned on the front sprocket nut. im using a 1/2in drive socket with a torque bar and ive been pulling on that mug so hard it feels like im bout to break something, but that nut wont budge. from looking at it i dont think it has backwards threads but i did try to turn it that way just to see if it would help break it loose, but to no avail. i tried using an impact gun also but it's too weak. i think i put too much thread locker on it the last time i had it off. the only thing i can think of now is to soak it in wd40, let it set a while and go at it again. if anyone has a better technique, let me know.

Sound like my buddy's bike,,,, we had to use a torch to heat it up, before my impact gun would even move it!

Sounds like the torch trick is what you need. There is some threadlock out there that just won't let go unless it's heated to 400 degrees. Be sure you don't over do the heat and cook the seal. I use the blue threadlock and it comes off easy. Also, when you put it back on next time be sure to use a torque wrench @ 105 lbs.

One other thing you may try is putting a socket with a flex bar, have your buddy smack it with a three pound hammer while you have tension on the nut. I wack it a good one just above the socket on the handle. Many times the shock of the smack will make it turn loose.

i used a mallet hitting a breaker bar. the shock losened it

where the heck am i going to find a torch?
[/QUOTE]
You can try mapp gas,it get 2010F...may be enough.
Can be bought at home depot. The yellow canister.

gas.jpg

thanks fellas, i got a butane torch from wally world. to my surprise it worked. ill post up pics later on the whole ordeal

Back