mystery oil leak

Derek, that tracer looks like it's coming from the water pump seal, nothing more. Empty your coolant, pull water pump, replace seal, reinstall pump (1kg on bolts), and refill / burp system....... :super:

And if that's the case, see my link above for my writeup on the water pump seal.

:beerchug:

Cheers Adam and Brian, hope you are right guys, the problem at the moment is that I am in Germany and my bike is in the UK. My brother in law sent me the pictures and he believes it clutch rod oil seal.
For the price of a water pump oil seal I will see how it go's :bowdown:

Picture2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Derek, that tracer is in the "wrong" place to be the clutch rod seal. It's the pump seal, get home safe, and get it fixed. It'll take a couple hours...... :super:

well, bad luck round 2! since i finally got some parts in, i decided to finally put some crap back together this morning. going great until i flipped the motor right side up to put in the top case bolts and "SNAP". one of the bolts right aroung the friggin' thing that started this while debacle broke off. yay me! going to try some extraction later, we'll see how that works out. sorry, no pics right now i'm way too upset.:cussing:

Sorry to hear, that is frustrating.
By the time you are done it will be a very good education for you - one that you can't buy, but you have to DO.
Extraction isn't too bad, just take your time and start when you are cooled down.
Good luck, and I hope it goes better!!

I wish you the best Joe :unhappy:

Adam and Brian got home safe guys :beerchug: As for the Busa not good, if you look under the bike at the clutch slave cylinder housing there is a access window with a powerful torch, and the engine running you can see the oil phissing out of the clutch rod seal. Can't fix it myself, but I know a good engine builder but he is on holiday at the moment, have got all the parts, new seal, rod and water pump seal, but it will have to wait as I will be looking for a job at the end of the month :please: One good thing is my old gixer is up and running thank too my brother in law, see my thread Oldskool :beerchug:::thumbsup:

Love your old-school ride.....you had me on this one....it "was" the clutch rod seal ????......wow..... :super:

just a quick update: we just finished up putting the bike together, and fired it up. fingers crossed and no leaks! thanks to everyone that has given their useful input and all of the positive support. i wouldn't have even tried it without you guys. just goes to show the quality of people on this site.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

just a quick update: we just finished up putting the bike together, and fired it up. fingers crossed and no leaks! thanks to everyone that has given their useful input and all of the positive support. i wouldn't have even tried it without you guys. just goes to show the quality of people on this site.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Looks good on ya brother! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back