mystery oil leak

Here are a few pic of the area cleaned up when I cleaned my last year or so. Have no clue how you'd get a new seal in there, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get the old one out. Make sure it's not leaking from behind where the water pump goes in too.

beforecleaning1.jpg

beforecleaning2.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

cracked2.jpg

aftercleaning.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

Holy engine cleaner batman!!!:shocked:

Mine was leaking last year. I took out the push rod and sprayed the rubber with some carb cleaner. It made the rubber swell. Its still working, but it'll probably leak again this summer. I plan to remove the rod; take it to a machine shop, and have the machine shop make me another rod thats .010-.015 larger in diameter (.010 will probably be enough). That'll probably do the trick. I will also make a rubber or teflon "deflector" to mount into the area above the chain, to stop the chain lube from gumming up my repair.

Last edited:
Mine was leaking last year. I took out the push rod and sprayed the rubber with some carb cleaner. It made the rubber swell. Its still working, but it'll probably leak again this summer. I plan to remove the rod; take it to a machine shop, and have the machine shop make me another rod thats .010-.015 larger in diameter (.010 will probably be enough). That'll probably do the trick. I will also make a rubber or teflon "deflector" to mount into the area above the chain, to stop the chain lube from gumming up my repair.
why not replace the seal?

Put a new seal in it! You dont need a new rod unless you some how have some funny wear on it where the seal rubs against it!

We now return you to the originally scheduled thread:

So where is this repair going, and how's he doing ????......

in limbo for the moment, i go on leave tomorrow so i'll have a bit more time to work on it.

As a said before you need to split the case's to install the new seal correctly!

I have 2 motors all apart now, and in the service manual, on page 3-95 the first pic shows the seal being installed at that point!

again, how did i get talked into this? got the case apart tonight. wifey stayed up to help too!

clutch pushrod 010.jpg

clutch pushrod 011.jpg

tobe wanted to help, but too much oil and antifreeze around, sorry pup.
clutch pushrod 012.jpg

clutch pushrod 010.jpg

clutch pushrod 011.jpg

clutch pushrod 012.jpg

Are you scared yet? Just make sure the the transmission shafts turn smoothly, and that you set the shift drum for neutral before reinstalling the lower case!

Also do not use silicone sealant for the cases!

props!! Hey John, what do you use on your case half's? Anaerobic sealer?

Man Joe, you have NO FEAR and lots of GOOD FOLKS around here to get you to the finish line !!!! :super: Ain't nothing but nuts and bolts, torque specs, sealant, and you're home !!!! :oldcool:

one thing that the navy has taught me is " don't let knowledge stand in the way of (insert about anything here)". i figured that i've rebuilt a lot of things that seemed more compicated before, and they turned out right. c'mon, uncle sam lets me work on nuclear weapons!

the suzuki shop was closed today, so the wife picked up the hondabond, but it's a silicon. any problems?

Back