My drug problem

MoosesBusa

Former BusaHolic
Donating Member
Registered
The Drug Problem in America

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied: "I had a drug problem when I was young":

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood;

and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
~author unknown~

so true.....
sad.gif

How true...
smile.gif

Shhhhhh.... Be carefull what r u saying.. Your kids can get you in trouble for possible child abuse...

if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
~author unknown~
I call BullSHITT.

There is no call to DRAG a kid to anything. The reason kids have drug problems is because they are kids. It's not bad parenting, it's not lack of guidance, it's not the evils of society or drug availability. Those things are factors, to be sure but they are not the causes.

Kids will be kids. They will experiment with life and that includes drugs. Forcing behavior down the throat of a kid and abusing them does NOT prevent them from abusing drugs or from getting involved in so many of the things which, if indulged in excessively, can cause so much devastation in their lives.

I will say this, however, I do believe parenting skills are very lacking to say nothing of parental availability to the children.

But for crap's sake, don't let the fact that you turned out okay despite the naive parenting skills of your own parents be cause to think that those are appropriate ways to raise kids.

They are not.

--Wag--

I agree with one thing, being firm with your kids. Everything else I disagree with. There is no need to abuse your child in the wood shed, there is no reason to abuse your child with soap. There is no reason to force a religion on your child my wife and I have never taken our children to church yet my 11yr old daughter is a devout christian go figure. This is information for our grandparents and maybe even my parents I'm in my 40s now. IMO My parents and their parents did the best they could for the times however my parents sucked at parents so you won't get a happy story out of me there. Bottom line is love you children protect them as you see fit but I will not raise my children in the manor depicted here. As for drugs people trying to get security out of a crap shoot are saddly disillusioned. JMO

This is about to complicated as I agree with both WAG and Mooses.

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139586206 -->

Ahhhh opinions...there like buttholes... "Everyone has got one".
laugh.gif

Parenting. Wow. What a big job. The problem today is that alot of parents throw what ever is left at the end of a day towards the kids. Meaning,the kids get whats left over after an 8 hour work day,a 2 hour commute,grocery shopping,and cooking and cleaning etc. How much time and energy is left after that?

So far,I'd hafta say everybody is a little right,and a little bit wrong.(my opinion). I think the right comes in with good ideas and good judgement and the ability to instill those idea's. I think the wrong comes in when those ideologies are takin' to the extreme.

Parenting is ultimately the ability to find a happy medium.I believe church could be fine...not 5 days a week thou. A good spank on the butt as an' "attention getter" fine,but not the ol' wood shed deal. A little slap on the behind in a crowded grocery store when the lil bastid is freaking out about wanting the sugar filled donuts for dinner...its a good thing. Its not supposed to inflict physical pain,as much as it is designed to be an' embassement. I've never had to swat either of my kids...I just look at them,and the tears can flow.
Must be my charming good looks.

In the end,common sense usually works the best for just about every situation in life.

We also need to keep in mind,you can be the best parent on the planet and still father Jeffery Dahmer.

Kids doin' bad stuff,killin',stealin',drugs.

Genetics has to factor in there somewhere asell.

RSD.

if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
~author unknown~
I call BullSHITT.

There is no call to DRAG a kid to anything.  The reason kids have drug problems is because they are kids.  It's not bad parenting, it's not lack of guidance, it's not the evils of society or drug availability.  Those things are factors, to be sure but they are not the causes.

Kids will be kids.  They will experiment with life and that includes drugs.  Forcing behavior down the throat of a kid and abusing them does NOT prevent them from abusing drugs or from getting involved in so many of the things which, if indulged in excessively, can cause so much devastation in their lives.

I will say this, however, I do believe parenting skills are very lacking to say nothing of parental availability to the children.

But for crap's sake, don't let the fact that you turned out okay despite the naive parenting skills of your own parents be cause to think that those are appropriate ways to raise kids.

They are not.

--Wag--
Kind of agree. It's the nature of humans to experiment with altered mental states. It starts when you are a kid and spin around and round until you're too dizzy to stand up.

I would say that most young people who experiment with drugs go on to lead "normal" lives. They don't all turn into drug addicts.

Some interesting stuff in this link:
http://www.independent.org/publica....ry&id=2

From the link:

What to Do about Illicit Drugs and Crime?

Given the failure of the drug war to reduce crime and drug use, what ought to be done? Benson and Rasmussen offer seven public policy recommendations.

1. Reduce Crime and Drug Abuse by Cracking Down on Juvenile Criminals. Punishing youthful offenders early might divert them from further crime and remove them from the crime subculture where they are more likely to begin drug use.

2. Emphasize Treatment Over Drug Law Enforcement. Treatment is more cost-effective because it cuts consumption directly, whereas law enforcement works indirectly, by raising the price of drugs.

3. Abolish Civil Forfeiture Laws. Civil forfeiture laws give the illusion that drug law enforcement is self-financing. They give law enforcement agencies incentives to pursue counter-productive policies that violate due process.

4. Make Public Safety the Main Police Priority. Law enforcement agencies should be evaluated on the basis of their effectiveness in preventing crime, not merely in responding to it after the fact. Improved citizen cooperation and sense of public safety should also be high priorities.

5. Make Sentencing Guidelines Reflect the Highest Priorities. Sentencing guidelines must allow officials to consider prison capacity, so that dangerous prisoners are not released prematurely to make space for the less dangerous.

6. Decentralize the Prisons. Keeping prosecutors and judges in the same jurisdictions as the prisons to which they send convicts would reduce the likelihood of dangerous prisoners being released prematurely.

7. Decriminalize Drug Use. Decriminalization would free up scarce criminal justice resources in order to focus on violent and property crime. Prohibition, especially of less dangerous drugs, is ultimately a self-defeating policy.

Not getting on a soap box here. Just some observations.

Another interesting link: http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm

In the end,common sense usually works the best for just about every situation in life.
+1

AND let's not forget to accept responsibility for the things you do so that your children may grow up doing the same...nothing worse that parents and kids always pointing a finger at someone else yelling "it's not my fault, it's theirs!"
mad.gif

Kids will be kids.  They will experiment with life and that includes drugs.  Forcing behavior down the throat of a kid and abusing them does NOT prevent them from abusing drugs or from getting involved in so many of the things which, if indulged in excessively, can cause so much devastation in their lives.
i agree with Mooses Busa. .that stuff is right.. as far as kids will be kids.. well parents will be parents..

its our jobs to guide them and YES force them sometimes.. they dont know any better..

what do i mean by force, not necessarily physciall but proper upgringing from a very young age.. make them want to hate to lie, cheat, or steal ,or do drugs.. raise them with the correct type of people.. yes i know its hard.. almost impossible as Wag has pointed out.

this is my opinion only.. i dont hold the opinion "oh well let them learn from their mistakes".. Parents have to raise children (from a very very young age) not the Media or Bart Simpson..

Wag i am not disagreeing with you about abuse or force.. just a different perspective.. Children are an investment. Invest wisely..
smile.gif
you may need them to take care of you someday... if you abused them.. might be your turn later.

"AMEN BROTHER!"
I was raised on the same Drug!
smile.gif

And I'm a better person for it!
+1+1+1+1, I would say I was borderline abused, by my spankings..... I mean corrections, but it made me the drug free, non-smoking (big thing in my household growing up) and record free adult that I am today.
Dad if you can see this Thanks for the corrections.

Back