I have a drug problem

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, 'Why didn't we have a drug
problem when you and I were growing up?'

I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in
everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than meth, weed, cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

Author unknown

(received this from my Dad this morning. He knows it's all true as well since nearly every one of those items happened to me
smile.gif
)

beerchug.gif

The burdens of childhood change from generation to generation. Kids do not have it any easier or harder than past generations.

They are exposed to more things than in the past and the changing family structure is also playing a role in where children of today seek common ground.

Sorry..........was that too deep for this thread?
all_coholic.gif

Nope, not too deep at all.

I agree that alot of the problems kids face today is because of the changing nature of the family definition. I can't say what is right or wrong only that things change and have always changed.

I thought it was a good read that applied to me personally because I have a 16yo daughter who I raised the way I was raised. Difference is that where my parents have been married for over 40 years her mother and I divorced when she was 5. Personally, I think daughter and I are better off because of it.

It would happen today still if people would just shut the hell up! All these child protection laws, Pretty much you cant even touch your own child without getting a lawsuit, Just like in California, They banned spanking children. Spanking is what made me different from problematic children. I was disciplined

No No No, You can't hit your children! WTF I was beaten like a red haired step child!
My mother would chase me in to mine and my brothers room, I would jump up in to my bed (Bunk beds, me top bunk) my mother would be down below with the 1/2 inch wide leather dogs leashe beating my a$$ like Jean Claude god D@m never could!!! I know for a fact that the way I was raised made me a better (or is that bitter) person. Today you do what? Send the kids to their room for a TIME OUT! great idea they have toys, games, TV, Radio, and computers in there what a punishment!

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 29 2007,05:01) No No No, You can't hit your children! WTF I was beaten like a red haired step child!
My mother would chase me in to mine and my brothers room, I would jump up in to my bed (Bunk beds, me top bunk) my mother would be down below with the 1/2 inch wide leather dogs leashe beating my a$$ like Jean Claude god D@m never could!!! I know for a fact that the way I was raised made me a better (or is that bitter) person. Today you do what? Send the kids to their room for a TIME OUT! great idea they have toys, games, TV, Radio, and computers in there what a punishment!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

bowdown.gif
Amen to that! Our society wants to call spanking 'abuse'. I call it discipline!

Kids, today, *know* that if they get spanked, all they need to do is cry 'abuse' and FIVE-OH will be banging down the door to haul the parents' azz to jail!

Heck - I have a friend who is in that predicament. His son has said that if he lays a hand on him (to spank him), the kid will call the Police and report him (the dad) for abuse!

I have a funny story that kind of branches on this tread. The other day my wife had picked my three year old son up from day care after she got of work and they went to walmart to pick up some things. After she got done paying for her items as she was walking out the door and my son was being a little Sh** and though it would be funny to start crying any yelling who are you and you are not my mommy. You can only Imagine the look on my wifes face. Yes fellas we do displine my son but to my wifes suprise the store security and any one else that could stop her did and gave her the third degree treated her like a criminal finally after everyone was good that she was the mother of the child in the basket they let her leave the store. But you talk about want to beat your kids A$$ it was all my wife could do not to just beat him right there. I am glad that child protection laws are in place but I think some times they can be blown out of context by people but they are the one that protect our children from the people that could harm them really bad as well. Just thought this story was kind of funny when my wife told me about it when I got home but then when I started to think about later I was glad all those people got involed because it could just have been the other way around someone could have been taking my son or trying to harm him and that is why I think child protection laws are a good thing.

beerchug.gif
If it was still like it used to be things would be alot different with kids today.

laugh.gif
my parents used to loan me out to everybody in the area...i was a tractor driving, lawn mowing, wood splitting, fence building, hay hauling, crop harvesting tired little boy and i still managed to stay in trouble...i can't imagine what i would have been like if they had just let me run wild in the streets

btw, my parents just said that whoever i was working for just had to feed me...i think those poor folks got the short end of the deal on that one
biggrin.gif

Society and all the lawyers have taken the discipline out of the school, out of the home and almost all religious activities are none existent. Right or wrong it is todays society. The government knows how to discipline children according to all the laws we have today. Well I know that anytime you give the government to much power we are just one step closer to losing what our forefathers fought for and what our soldiers are fighting for today. There is a fine line between discipline and abuse and yes it should be corrected if it crosses that line, but when the schools police and counselors in power a young in mature child to the point that the child realizes that not even us parents can touch them anymore let alone the teachers that are with them 8 hours a day, most children will take full advantage of this situation and believe they are mature enough to do whatever they wish to do and not even the parents can stop them. Its not until they have worked up to the point of doing something sever enough that the state steps in and usually by that time its almost to late for even the state to correct the attitude and personality that they in forced onto this child. Shame on society for allowing the government to get to the point they regulate how we can raise our kids. I know from experience that if I did something bad enough when In was a kid and I truly new better that soon to follow was the belt off my dads pants. Im still alive and kicking. I have no scars or mental problems and only have a better respect for all the hard working dads and moms that make this country a great place to live.

I raise my kid like my grandparents would. HE gets spanked when he deserves it without emotion. Well, He cries like he!! but spankings are never done out of anger and teh quantity is always announced up front. His mother chooses to lecture him to death and he walks all over her. I say jump and he asks how high in mid air. We are good buds but at the end of the day, I'm Dad and what Dad says goes. Not only does he listen to me he also respects me and trusts me without hesitation. We're gonna be best buds for a long time coming but I'll always be Dad first.
I dare ANYBODY to tell me I can't discipline my child. They will have to pull their own foot outta their @zz and watch while I spank their parents for doing such a lousy job!!

Back