I have a drug problem

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 29 2007,11:01) No No No, You can't hit your children! WTF I was beaten like a red haired step child!
My mother would chase me in to mine and my brothers room, I would jump up in to my bed (Bunk beds, me top bunk) my mother would be down below with the 1/2 inch wide leather dogs leashe beating my a$$ like Jean Claude god D@m never could!!! I know for a fact that the way I was raised made me a better (or is that bitter) person. Today you do what? Send the kids to their room for a TIME OUT! great idea they have toys, games, TV, Radio, and computers in there what a punishment!
My kids punishment is to be banned from all electronics - computer / game systems / MP3 Player.. all of it goes - AND they get to clean toilets, mop floors, shake rugs, clean rooms, etc, and for a break, they get to practice piano extra long....

but we do not hit them

(KanjiBusa @ Mar. 29 2007,08:41) It would happen today still if people would just shut the hell up! All these child protection laws, Pretty much you cant even touch your own child without getting a lawsuit, Just like in California, They banned spanking children. Spanking is what made me different from problematic children. I was disciplined
That is not entirely correct. Some lame Lawyer talked one of the legislatures into introducing a bill that would ban spanking children under three(3) years old. I have not heard of the law passing. They did have the Lawyer on one of the local talk radio shows here in LA and made mince meat of him. So as far as I know, you can still spank away here in Cali.

as a somewhat newbie parent.... (1 3yo daughter) i think i'm still learning what gets her attention... if it's something really bad that she already knows is wrong (biting, hitting etc. ) but does it anyway we move into the spanking zone.. it's always a "did you do X ?" *shakes her head yes* (hey atleast she doesn't lie.. lol) do you get a spanking if you do that... NOOOO!

I think i've only actually spanked her twice. Now just going through he motions seems to upset her more than any actual pain that could come from it.

of course this is the same kid that I had to be really careful not to raise my voice (no i don't mean yelling.. i just mean talking sternly) unless it was something major because she would get so upset over it when she was younger. (still young.. i mean like 2ish)

It seems like the threat of going to bed early, or no afternoon walk around the neighborhood works well for the general mayheim that 3yo's like to get into.

like I said.. me and my wife both are still in trail/error mode.. .. spanking is available.. but it's like atomic weapons.. ya only play that card when things is gettin' real serious ya know.... and when yer talking about a 3 yo.. well... aside from biting (cannot get that youngin to stop biting ya if she is mad at you!!!) i can't figure anything else being "worthy" of spanking.

anyway.. .. i gots plenty of spankings from my mom/dad.. mainly dad.. and at the same time he has always been one of my best friends.

I think the problem with spanking is how to draw the line between normal "I spanked jimmy because he was throwing rocks at the cat" and "i beat jimmy with a belt for not picking up his clothes" .. abuse/discipline.

the few times I have actually spanked my daughter I always made it a point to talk to her long enough to make sure I wasn't still pissed (let a 3 yo take a serious bite out of yer shoulder.. you'll know what I mean) before I actually spanked her.

she can only count to 3 at the moment.. and she starts with "two" so the "your getting five "spanks" won't work at the moment.. but I have plans of doing that as well to be sure there is a definite line that both parent/child understand.

yep. You are ALL correct.

Now....

What are WE gonna do about it? ? Who allows these silly laws and sillier lawyers to accomplish such stupidity on OUR dime? US? Maybe we should stop talking about it and start SPEAKING UP about it publically

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 29 2007,14:01) No No No, You can't hit your children! WTF I was beaten like a red haired step child!
My mother would chase me in to mine and my brothers room, I would jump up in to my bed (Bunk beds, me top bunk) my mother would be down below with the 1/2 inch wide leather dogs leashe beating my a$$ like Jean Claude god D@m never could!!! I know for a fact that the way I was raised made me a better (or is that bitter) person. Today you do what? Send the kids to their room for a TIME OUT! great idea they have toys, games, TV, Radio, and computers in there what a punishment!
My poor kids. I have terrorized them all their lives. In a few years I guess I'll find out how we did.
zzwhip.gif

Oldest son came home from 4th grade. Told his mom he was going to report her to DSS. She went straight to the phone book looked up DSS, dialed DSS and handed him the phone. He never mentioned them again.
laugh.gif

(omslaw @ Mar. 29 2007,16:21)
bowdown.gif
Amen to that! Our society wants to call spanking 'abuse'. I call it discipline!

Kids, today, *know* that if they get spanked, all they need to do is cry 'abuse' and FIVE-OH will be banging down the door to haul the parents' azz to jail!

Heck - I have a friend who is in that predicament. His son has said that if he lays a hand on him (to spank him), the kid will call the Police and report him (the dad) for abuse!
If I can't see physical abuse that will be visible when I return in 24 hours. The child get's a lecture and I leave. People need to understand the law. It is not unlawful to raise your children people.
rant.gif

(Shanling @ Mar. 29 2007,13:50)
(KanjiBusa @ Mar. 29 2007,08:41) It would happen today still if people would just shut the hell up! All these child protection laws, Pretty much you cant even touch your own child without getting a lawsuit, Just like in California, They banned spanking children. Spanking is what made me different from problematic children. I was disciplined
That is not entirely correct. Some lame Lawyer talked one of the legislatures into introducing a bill that would ban spanking children under three(3) years old. I have not heard of the law passing. They did have the Lawyer on one of the local talk radio shows here in LA and made mince meat of him. So as far as I know, you can still spank away here in Cali.
Excellent GOOD news
cool.gif

I found the tool my parents used to give me spakings a few months ago, it was a 1/4 inch rubber hose...OUCH!!! I had forgot where I hid it. Found it on the top shelf in a rarely used closet
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I read about 12 pages of Dr. Spock 22 years ago and trashed it. I've watched my sisters kids run all over her with the timeout stuff. As our kids became teenagers we would discipline by restrictions and added chores. I think they all still love us, and seem to be doing well by all accounts.

spare the rod,spoil the child
I agree with not spanking in anger-cool off-vent-this is gonna hurt me more than you,kids don't understand that until they have kids-I believe this cause I raised 3,and sometimes it does hurt a parent more.

Grew up getting spanked/slapped by both mom and dad and learned those life lessons much faster because of it. My wife and I don't have kids but with all our neighborhood friends that have them around us all the time we feel like it...sometimes we watch them for our neighbors to give them a break.

This may sound harsh but kids are like dogs. Both need to fully understand there are consequences for misbehaving/disobedience. Once they understand they can't get away with such actions they curb their behavior.

Back