Looking at the Bodyguard 380

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
Looking at a Bodyguard 380 for a small concealed carry. Any opinions on it from owners or experienced persons that are familiar with the gun?

Just looking for something small that will fit into my pocket or a small holster during the summer months when it is blazing hot here in GA.

smith_and_wesson_bodyguard_380_b.jpg

That's alot of controls on that little gun?
For pocket carry or things like that I'd prefer a hammerless revolver.
Extreme reliability. There are some really hot loads out there in 38sp+p.

As an avid/competitive shooter, I am just not comfortable with a 380 as a carry. Granted during the summer the BG is probably not wearing thick coats, but I just don't feel confident it has the necessary stopping power. I have the utmost confidence in my own abilities, but unless you are a trained shooter, I always recommend at least a 9. I know it is a real PITA as there is a huge size difference - but if it came down to it, I want to know that my carry weapon can do its job.

This is my own personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth :laugh:

Jonny

For Me, I like a .45 or .357 mag for it's knock down ability. Second shot will be easier :laugh:

And if you think your not going to need a second shot with a pistol in a quick situation, DON'T count on it. From personal Experience :whistle:

I carry a Ruger LCP for backup. It's one of THE smallest 380's available. I love it for just keeping in a pocket holster. Very thin. My main carry is a full sized Glock 40SW. I carry it in a Crossbreed holster in the small of my back with just a T-shirt over it. No one knows it's there. Whatever gun you choose, I highly recommend the Crossbreed. Very comfortable and conceals just about anything well.

Leaning more toward a G26 now after reading the replies.

pix110025549.jpg

A G26 is not gonna fit in your pocket or ankle very well.
You may as well get a G19 and carry it in a proper holster.

I always look to the mode I intend to carry and 'pack' accordingly :laugh:

Took my CCW class last night! Should be sending in for my permit tomorrow! :cheerleader:

Looking at a Bodyguard 380 for a small concealed carry. Any opinions on it from owners or experienced persons that are familiar with the gun?

Just looking for something small that will fit into my pocket or a small holster during the summer months when it is blazing hot here in GA.

I like it. In fact I was about to buy one until I read some reviews. Apparently there was an issue with trigger failures on some of the early weapons. I never followed up on it, so I'm not sure what S&W ever did about the problem.

The G26 is a fine weapon, but don't plan on having it go unnoticed in your pocket. It's small-ish, but quite bulky. My wife has one, and it's a very manageable weapon with good capacity.

I usually carry a G33, which has identical exterior dimensions to the G26. The huge plus for me is that it's chambered in 357 Sig, which is hot enough for reliable penetration of sheet metal, auto glass, and some light body armor. Depending on your intended application, over-penetration may be an issue with this caliber.

As far as concealment goes, the G26, G33, and G27 are good choices, but not the best. Have you looked at Kahr Arms? They're a little pricey, but are also high quality and very thin. A thin weapon is a HUGE deal when it comes to concealed carry.

Planning on penetrating some light body armor are we?
:laugh:

I like it. In fact I was about to buy one until I read some reviews. Apparently there was an issue with trigger failures on some of the early weapons. I never followed up on it, so I'm not sure what S&W ever did about the problem.

The G26 is a fine weapon, but don't plan on having it go unnoticed in your pocket. It's small-ish, but quite bulky. My wife has one, and it's a very manageable weapon with good capacity.

I usually carry a G33, which has identical exterior dimensions to the G26. The huge plus for me is that it's chambered in 357 Sig, which is hot enough for reliable penetration of sheet metal, auto glass, and some light body armor. Depending on your intended application, over-penetration may be an issue with this caliber.

As far as concealment goes, the G26, G33, and G27 are good choices, but not the best. Have you looked at Kahr Arms? They're a little pricey, but are also high quality and very thin. A thin weapon is a HUGE deal when it comes to concealed carry.

Just started looking into the Kahr choices. Price is not an issue as I would rather pay high for something that fits right and will be suitable for a while. It does not do any good to have a CCW and then a weapon that you are uncomfortable carrying and leaving it in the car or at the house.

Details please.. :whistle: :laugh:

I bid on a contract for Iraq a couple years ago for a Level IV vest with plates in it. Along with the bid it required a sample for 'testing' purposes.
I only provided my credentials and a copy of the RFQ from the Govt. In return the company gave me bid figures as well as a NIB sample that retailed for almost $2k.
After the fact I was like :banghead: I should have asked for two :laugh:

Leaning more toward a G26 now after reading the replies.

pix110025549.jpg

The glock is a much better choice. Both my bosses carry the body guard 380. I like the built in laser site and it is super tiny so in your back pocket it looks like a wallet. Nobody knows your carrying. It seems to be well made and shoots nice. That said, it's so tiny that it doesn't fit in my big arse hand. The glock is a little harder to hide but it is a much better gun, too bad it doesn't have a built in laser site.

Back