Kawi will strike back

(Jet Li @ Jun. 29 2007,08:06) I just love my Busa and I don't care if the 14 goes faster, heck I will never take this bike to its potential anyway.
+1
cool.gif

Wow, I guess I really missed all the data and info you guys are droppin.. I read the specs and all the other info released yestreday about the 08 Busa, I did'nt read anything about the handlin, Top end runs, or head to head comp between the Busa K8 and the 14. Being a Busa owner I naturally want to see the Busa on top, but really, It all comes down to the rider anyways. I have seen CBR1000's check out on 14's and Busa's. If the rider does'nt have the nads to put the power down, then the point is moot.

You got to be kidding me....
The Busa got spanked by the 14 in the qtr lets see....
Kawi 9.78 (approx HP 172 at rear wheel)
Busa 9.93 (approx HP 157 at rear wheel)
Diff in1/4:    .15        Diff in HP: 15

AND U think the outcome of a new Heads up race is going to be close  
SHOCKED.gif

Are you kidding me...... It should be murder.
Busa
rock.gif
? (approx HP 179 at rear wheel, Speculation net change of 22HP)

(HotRod104 @ Jun. 29 2007,05:21) Wow, I guess I really missed all the data and info you guys are droppin.. I read the specs and all the other info released yestreday about the 08 Busa, I did'nt read anything about the handlin, Top end runs, or head to head comp between the Busa K8 and the 14. Being a Busa owner I naturally want to see the Busa on top, but really, It all comes down to the rider anyways. I have seen CBR1000's check out on 14's and Busa's. If the rider does'nt have the nads to put the power down, then the point is moot.
Best point made yet, many will cheerlead but very few have the balls to put it all on the table. So in the end, the guys winning at the track are the real people of concern if everything is about, who is faster.

I see people come in the shop all the time. Their first comment is my Busa or 14 is not fast enough. Then I will ask what the bike does at 10.5 RPM's in second gear and they do not know. Says enough for me.

From what I see on this board, more Busa owners are concerned about the 14, than 14 owners are concerned about the Busa.

Both are great bikes....when you can ride one to its max without crashing...you are at the next level.

A bike should not make you cool. I think too many people buy bikes like the Busa and 14 for the "I'm cool factor". Dropping a few pounds, living the healthy life, taking care of yourself & family and treating people with respect makes you way more cool. Just my 2cents.

Hayabusa this, zx-14 that, get over it guys,they both are awsome machines that will get people into a world of hurt quick, i can tell you the new busa is not going to slaughter the 14, granted suzuki didnt build it to be slower than the 14 but its not going to make a complete ass out of it either. Also i think its great suzuki is considered the king of speed because how many years was the zx-11 the king of the streets,IMO i do think kawi will have an answer for the new busa LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!

(Kanati @ Jun. 28 2007,22:28) You guys are talking like zook and kaw dont' know exactly what the other is doing... Baloney. They both got together and said "let's start this little one-upmanship war again." Kaw's answer was to make a killer motor and state "ok, but we're not going to make a new motor every 2-5 years... Lets do this right." So...

1. Kaw makes a kickass motor and chops it's balls off by choking it senseless with tiny throttle bodies and teeny little pipes. Oh and lets throw in secondary butterflies that dont' even open up until 7000rpm. How about a mild cam too while we're at it. But we'll tune it juuuuuust high enough to beat the busa.

2. Zook goes "ok. We've already got a motor we know will go out to 1600cc, but we don't want to blow our wad all at once and ruin the little game..." So they stroke it 2mm and tweak what they already had.

3. Kaw publicly goes "oh gee willikers! You have beat us. We shall answer back!" They drop in some 46mm throttle bodies, rework the headers, maybe take those flies out... Bam. 1340 busa beater.

4. Wash. Rinse. Repeat for the next 15-20 years while milking the public for every last dime they got.

From a marketing standpoint it's genius. From a consumer standpoint. @#$^#$&%#$^&$%
firedevil.gif
guns.gif
Nice!!
beerchug.gif

It's all good!

Some people need to get a life and not take this all so personally!
laugh.gif

(tourbus @ Jun. 29 2007,05:45) Hayabusa this, zx-14 that, get over it guys,they both are awsome machines that will get people into a world of hurt quick, i can tell you the new busa is not going to slaughter the 14, granted suzuki didnt build it to be slower than the 14 but its not going to make a complete ass out of it either. Also i think its great suzuki is considered the king of speed because how many years was the zx-11 the king of the streets,IMO i do think kawi will have an answer for the new busa LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!
+1

It all comes down to the rider these days- Period!!!
Both bikes rock, I just wish the ZX14 wasn't so ugly!

(busabutter @ Jun. 28 2007,21:52) The new busa will beat the zx-14, in the quarter and topend.  It already handles better than the zx-14.

Wonder why yamaha and honda doesn't get into this.  Guess they have their hands full with the 1000s.  They can't touch the GSXR 1000.
Yamaha is concentrated on owing the dirt, they have been killing everybody in that aspect except for the open class dirt bike (XR650) from Honda still ruels that one.

What bothers me the most is that for that Hayabusa there are companies far exceeding the efforts of the factory . Shops with a fraction of the resources that Suzuki has that are finding ways to make Big power from these bikes . Carpenter's racing , Lee's performance , Motorhead to name a few . It should be the opposite . With all these millions they have for research they should have everyone scratching their heads wondering , "How the heck did they do that " . or "Why didn't we think of that " .
I guess a lot are happy that they made any changes at all . But for a lot of us the changes came not as a progression of new technology as with the liter bikes but just to say they we put out a bike that is marginally more advanced than the competition . Only slightly faster . And garnish it up under the guise that it was never mean to be a liter bike . 1999 Suzuki built that bike for one reason : To be the fastest production bike on the planet . And in this they succeeded. Their first mistake was they labeled it a sports/tourer . Their second mistake was that for nine years they sat back and rested on their laurels as the fastest production Bike and only made minor enhancements . Ignition , ECU , starter gear , passing light . Meanwhile the Liter Bike reaped the benefits of motogp technology . Every year you looked there was something new about the 1K. Look at the 1999 TL 1000

TL1000R_Blue.jpg

Things looked like they changed a but , huh ?. Now lets look at the 05. All kind of improvements and upgrades. Now lets fast forward to the present

2005_Suzuki_gsx_r1000b_small.jpg

(ks-waterbug @ Jun. 29 2007,05:39) You got to be kidding me....

SHOCKED.gif

Busa
rock.gif
So I guess Dennis means that 15/100 of a sec is significant . For me, it's not  
wink.gif

And as far as one brand over another. I really enjoy my Duc 888 to ride around country roads much more than my 998 or my Busa. And I love my BUSA more than my Old ST4 Duc for getting out and really riding the country. Guess I'am just brand Loyal  
laugh.gif

(Kanati @ Jun. 28 2007,23:28) You guys are talking like zook and kaw dont' know exactly what the other is doing...  Baloney.  They both got together and said "let's start this little one-upmanship war again."  Kaw's answer was to make a killer motor and state "ok, but we're not going to make a new motor every 2-5 years...  Lets do this right."  So...  

1.  Kaw makes a kickass motor and chops it's balls off by choking it senseless with tiny throttle bodies and teeny little pipes.  Oh and lets throw in secondary butterflies that dont' even open up until 7000rpm.  How about a mild cam too while we're at it.  But we'll tune it juuuuuust high enough to beat the busa.

2.  Zook goes "ok.  We've already got a motor we know will go out to 1600cc, but we don't want to blow our wad all at once and ruin the little game..."  So they stroke it 2mm and tweak what they already had.

3.  Kaw publicly goes "oh gee willikers!  You have beat us.  We shall answer back!"  They drop in some 46mm throttle bodies, rework the headers, maybe take those flies out...  Bam.  1340 busa beater.  

4.  Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat for the next 15-20 years while milking the public for every last dime they got.

From a marketing standpoint it's genius.  From a consumer standpoint.  @#$^#$&%#$^&$%  
firedevil.gif

guns.gif
U are spot on with this one! Does the top brass even ride on two wheels
rock.gif
I think not
all_coholic.gif
Bottom line here rules, and the import $$$. The fact that they make a superior sport bike to us ?? Is also market driven.
mad.gif

I am sure Kawi will coem back, that is natural in a competitive business, but for Gods sake change the looks because the new 14 is ugly IMO. I don't care how fast it looks because being fast will not help the looks at all.

It reminds me of a newer kawi at the front but it has a similar look at the back end like the old ZX11's. Oh and the Testarosa fins the fairings ahve got to go.

The 1999 Hayabusa GXS-R 1300. This is the bike that changed everything . Its in the Guinness Book of World Records , Its in Guggenheim's , it's in all of us . They made it look like a cheap Court Street Whore .

Copper11.jpg

(GPW @ Jun. 29 2007,07:40)
(HotRod104 @ Jun. 29 2007,05:21) Wow, I guess I really missed all the data and info you guys are droppin.. I read the specs and all the other info released yestreday about the 08 Busa, I did'nt read anything about the handlin, Top end runs, or head to head comp between the Busa K8 and the 14. Being a Busa owner I naturally want to see the Busa on top, but really, It all comes down to the rider anyways. I have seen CBR1000's check out on 14's and Busa's. If the rider does'nt have the nads to put the power down, then the point is moot.
Best point made yet, many will cheerlead but very few have the balls to put it all on the table. So in the end, the guys winning at the track are the real people of concern if everything is about, who is faster.

I see people come in the shop all the time. Their first comment is my Busa or 14 is not fast enough. Then I will ask what the bike does at 10.5 RPM's in second gear and they do not know. Says enough for me.

From what I see on this board, more Busa owners are concerned about the 14, than 14 owners are concerned about the Busa.

Both are great bikes....when you can ride one to its max without crashing...you are at the next level.

A bike should not make you cool. I think too many people buy bikes like the Busa and 14 for the "I'm cool factor". Dropping a few pounds, living the healthy life, taking care of yourself & family and treating people with respect makes you way more cool. Just my 2cents.
I am with GPW. Come on guys, When you are talking this kind of HP, and top end, does it really matter? I think it should come down to a personal choice. If you like the look of the Kawi and the way it handles, buy it, If you like the Busa get it. Enough said. Who cares one of the bikes has a couple more hp. A few mods can fix that. It comes down to a battle lead by marketing. It increases sales. Next Kawi and zuki will be like Hardley and say you are a nerd and can't get chicks unless you own our bike.

I bet we see the power of these open class bikes level off in the next few years, where the emphasis will be placed more on suspension, weight and the general technology of the bike such as varible cam timing. But with the advent of new technology, this will make the interal combustion engine more efficient and therefore make more power easier.  Bike's can only get so fast before the general public freaks out and makes laws to govern such.

I see things changing dramaticly in the next few years. 

I bought my busa brand new in march I had the opportunity to by a brand new 06 pre registered zx14 with 1mile on the clock for £500 less than the busa. Knowing the bragging rights of marginal speed differences i still bought the busa cos of the way it looked and it was the bike i wanted. Dont give a damn about statistic's i would be no quicker in the twisties on the zx than the busa but i get to look so much cooler passing through town on my busa.
super.gif

busa_2_mod.jpg

(DaCol. @ Jun. 29 2007,07:42)
(ks-waterbug @ Jun. 29 2007,05:39) You got to be kidding me....

SHOCKED.gif

Busa
rock.gif
So I guess Dennis means that 15/100 of a sec is significant . For me, it's not  
wink.gif

And as far as one brand over another. I really enjoy my Duc 888 to ride around country roads much more than my 998 or my Busa. And I love my BUSA more than my Old ST4 Duc for getting out and really riding the country. Guess I'am just brand Loyal  
laugh.gif
I should have given a bit more information in my post ... my bad. I've got around 100 passes at the strip against a 14 and almost that many against other Busas during that same timeframe. Most of those passes against the 14 it wasn't stock, it had the same power mods as my Busa - Brock's exhaust and PC with Brock's map and airbox mod then lowered and strapped. The 14 has gone 153 mph, I've gone 146.7 mph and 9.74. Obviously the 14 was quicker as well, don't remember the numbers but it was a high 9.4 from what I remember. In my book 6 mph is huge.

To answer the obvious rebuttals: Yes, the rider makes a big difference. The 14 rider has had a couple Busas, one with the same mods I have now. He went a tenth quicker than my best with a 16 tooth front sprocket and his best mph is almost exactly equal to my best. He is a better rider than me, but he's not a ringer.

Next rebuttal: Yea, I know lots of you guys are quicker with the same mods and the same body weight. My observations and comparisons of the Busa and 14 are at the same track and same conditions. The numbers each of us put down seem to be typical for the respective bikes.

Next rebuttal: I don't have as well defined numbers for showroom stock vs showroom stock because you simply don't find them at the track with guys that are skilled at racing bikes. The chokes that Kawasaki put on the 14 were meant to be removed and generally are if the bike will be seeing the track much.

If the same good rider runs a Busa and a 14, the 14 is always going to be quicker and faster if equally prepped. It's cool to see a bike with so few mods going 153 mph with a 220 pound guy. I hope the new Busa goes 155 mph but I don't realistically expect it to go 159. Constant amazement is good, I don't care which brand it is.

I know this is a Busa site, but let's just give Kawasaki a round of applause and find out what the next generation of Busas will do.

Back