Just thought I'd share my mileage report out of this tire

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
Hey everybody,

I know in our never ending battle to find good deals we all try to share our experiences with different stuff we try on our beloved busas... I just thought I would give some praise to a great tire I have found suits my needs really well...
I have tried several different tires (rear and front) including Pilot Powers, dunlop qualifiers, shinkos, Avon vipers, but I tried the AVON STORM ST this last time (from good reports I had read here on the board)... Well, I have to say this is by far the BEST tire I have ran on my bike so far from a mileage perspective- I got a total of 12,500 miles out of this tire before getting right down to the core......
Before I get flamed for not wearing out the sides of the tire, I KNOW....I KNOW... the sides are still practically brand new===:laugh:
But I mostly commute on my bike to and from work for my primary riding (got over 60 k on my '06 now...:laugh:) I ain't afraid to lean it over but my primary riding is straight up...:laugh:
Still I have to give some serious props out to Avon for making a tire that will last that long.... Now I do romp on it pretty often and smoke it some so that even adds to how impressed I was at how long it lasted....
This tire handles the speeds really well (several runs over 170) and it was always very stable-- handles the rain very well too--not once did I ever feel loose in the rain- so I have to give it a :thumbsup: there too...

So, I was torn when it came time to buy another rear tire as to whether I should go with another of the same tire or to try the new Michelin Power Road 2 tire=== I have heard others here say it is a long mileage tire too that is very good...Well, I just decided that I would stick with what I knew was working for me, so I got another STORM but in the newer Ultra 2 that they have come out with:thumbsup:
I normally have never gotten more than 8 or 9 k out of a rear so to get one that gave me that much mileage I just had to share--- If you guys are looking for a great tire and a high mileage tire that will still perform all around, I recommend this one with a big :thumbsup:

New Avon Storm 2 tire, Driven front and rear sprockets 07.09.10 pic 5.jpg

New Avon Storm 2 tire, Driven front and rear sprockets 07.09.10 pic 2.jpg

New Avon Storm 2 tire, Driven front and rear sprockets 07.09.10 pic 6.jpg

New Avon Storm 2 tire, Driven front and rear sprockets 07.09.10 pic 9.jpg

My Busa with the Yoshimura TRC-D pipe 050610 002smaller.jpg

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing that.

Your bike is beautiful. :beerchug:

Wow that is good milage I have been getting around 10k from metzler roadtec. I switched to Dunlop roadsmart this set (price was better). 12,500 thats amazing depending on the milage of this tire I may make another switch. Thanks for the info, and thats a great looking bike :beerchug:

Wow those are some serious chicken strips you got going on there! J/K :laugh:
No seriously thanks for the great find and heads about about your experience. I'll def loko into those when it's time to change my OEM tires out.

got Q2's a couple of months ago and they are great so far... Mostly been commuting, not much twisty action on them :-( I need more daylight without commitments.

That's awesome! I was thinking pirelli angel st for my next tire but you got me thinking...
Posted via Mobile Device

Great mileage and good on the pocket book.

Just keep in mind when you purchase tires, the longer the life the less traction available.

Great mileage and good on the pocket book.

Just keep in mind when you purchase tires, the longer the life the less traction available.

Yep Tufbusa, harder compounds for longer life will generally mean a less "sticky" tire... looking at my chicken strips you can see I definitely need to get a little more agressive:laugh::whistle:
so that is a very good point for anyone trying to decide...think about what you need the tire to do for you and your style of riding:beerchug:
With the way the economy is I just wanted to hopefully help somebody else get the most bang for the buck if they wanted to try this one out...
Thanks for the comments on the bike guys...wife says I love my bike more than her:laugh: but we all know that ain't true:poke::rofl:

got Q2's a couple of months ago and they are great so far... Mostly been commuting, not much twisty action on them :-( I need more daylight without commitments.

I love the Q2s! sticky and gives you a lot of confidence diving into the twisties.

Took a 400mi trip through the mountains and pushed as hard as my ability lets me and to my surprise when i got home at least 1/3 of the tire was gone.??? still for the grip its worth it.

i had storms on my tl1000r. my mileage was nowhere near yours, however it was much better than any other tire i ever had. i ride very aggressively, and when i would ride it to work during the week(mostly highway), i would have to spend the rest of the weekend trying to make it round again.....all in all great grip wet or dry, and very good mileage.

I love the Q2s! sticky and gives you a lot of confidence diving into the twisties.

Took a 400mi trip through the mountains and pushed as hard as my ability lets me and to my surprise when i got home at least 1/3 of the tire was gone.??? still for the grip its worth it.

i know where those are $220 a set delivered, but considering the above and the avons longevity i might go avon. thanks

It's quite obvious you need to find a semi-circular route to work and back and then lean hard.!! :laugh:
As far as the tires go, you get what you pay for.!!
Ya done good Pilgrim.!! :satisfied:

Last edited:
Good mileage!! You will like the Storm2 Ultra even better. I am 2500 miles into my Ultras and LOVE them. 95% 2up riding and it is showing no wear yet. Seems to be more stable and sticks better in the corners(not that you use the sides:poke:). Definite improvement over the 3 sets of Storm I had run before.

WOW! 12,500 miles out of a rear!!?? I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. I have 12,732 miles on my 09 busa and am on the 4th rear tire and
3rd front. Where I live the twisites surround and beckon me................ no time for the local hang out/bike night scene, we do full out war in the canyons, always! My motto: if you're not livin' life on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!

Last edited:
Back