If we could just put aside our differences....

Sorry, I'm cursed (or blessed). Rose colored glasses never worked on me.
I see things as they are, no sugar coating.

That's why I label myself in my signature the pessimistic optimist.

I see what they could be but also as they are and know they will never be
because of human nature.

You know Justyntym when I used to be mgr at Lincoln Mercury it was always the salesmen who blamed everybody else for their lack of success who never succeeded .
I would always always ask all of them when we didn't close somebody why ?
Half would come up with a million reasons why it was someone elses fault . The other half would accept that they possibly didn't do all they could have and maybe missed something . The latter group were always the ones who shrugged it off and in the end got paid . The others just stood around coffee clutching cursing the world for their own failures.

One glass .
Is it half full or half empty ?
See it as half full and life will be much better .

Oh no no, if I've given the impression that I blame others that is certainly not
the case. The rose colored glasses don't work in the mirror either and I believe
I'm harder on myself than anyone else...I'm all for personal accountability.

And I thank God for all the blessings he's bestowed upon me, and they be
many and I deserve none.

(Regardless, my brother is still a huge horses :moon:) :laugh:

Last edited:
Blancabusa I commend you for taking the risk to post a thought here that inspires reflection and discourse on a level deeper than the typical thread found here. Topics of this level of complexity are what makes participating here interesting for members like myself.

I'm also encouraged to see there are more voices of reason participating in this thread than there have been in the past. While there is still some of the bigotry, ignorance, and judgemental attitude from those who believe they have a moral compass superior to anyone else, it is nice to see more than one or two members expressing rational thought in their responses. That has not always been the case here.

Thanks to the moderators as well. It seems they have been working overtime lately, and I appreciate their willingness to give us enough rope to hang ourselves if we so choose. I do not envy their task.

Blanca, you've had the opportunity to travel quite a bit, and it shows in your original premise...that at our core as human beings, all but an extremely tiny fraction of a percentage of us share some common desires. Everyone wants a better life for themselves, and a better life for their children. When I read your first post in this thread I was reminded of a great quote I read somewhere, the origin of which I don't know:

"Travel replaces an empty mind with an open one."

Someone in this thread asked a great question about whether we would come to the defense of our fellow Americans if we were threatened from outside. It is my opinion that the better question is "Will we defend our fellow Americans from threats from within?" The answer to that question is not encouraging if one looks at history.

For example, and to tie in a bit of the "Tyranny of the Majority" point that was brought up earlier in a different thread, I propose we recall the Salem Witch Trials...where God-fearing Americans worked themselves into such a state of paranoia that they turned upon themselves...members of their own beliefs. Ignorance coupled with piety can be an extremely dangerous combination regardless of what religous affiliation it comes from. That many Americans place more value on faith than critical thinking skills is disturbing when one considers where this can lead.

If you prefer, recall the internment of patriotic Americans at the beginning of American involvement in World War 2 simply because we were more interested in how people were different than what we shared in common. We're quite capable of turning on ourselves very quickly.

I am reminded of this writing:

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

To conclude my participation in this thread (I will make no response to any portions of this writing quoted out of context), there would be little to fear in "differences" if we as a species were wise enough to accept, find value in diversity, and realize we all share some commonality regardless of nationality, race, sexual preference, caste, or religous affiliation or lack thereof. Such a world is difficult to achieve when there are politicians, priests, and pundits earning a living by dividing us into subcategories, then making us afraid of one another.

Unfortunately with the creation of nuclear and biological weapons it doesn't take many ignorant people to exterminate all of us.

Thanks again to Blanca, our moderators, and the rational voices in this thread.

Last edited:
Imagine all colors and beliefs working together to make a better place instead of arguing over how to build it ?
How strong would that country be ?

One only has to look at the recent rise of China as a global economic and military superpower to begin to answer that question.

I'm not arguing that it's the model society, but Democracy is inherently inefficient when it comes to getting things done.

Just want to get the definitions out there before someone feels Capitalism is being attacked...

Democracy = form of government
Free Market = economic system

Blancabusa I commend you for taking the risk to post a thought here that inspires reflection and discourse on a level deeper than the typical thread found here. Topics of this level of complexity are what makes participating here interesting for members like myself.

I'm also encouraged to see there are more voices of reason participating in this thread than there have been in the past. While there is still some of the bigotry, ignorance, and judgemental attitude from those who believe they have a moral compass superior to anyone else, it is nice to see more than one or two members expressing rational thought in their responses. That has not always been the case here.

Thanks to the moderators as well. It seems they have been working overtime lately, and I appreciate their willingness to give us enough rope to hang ourselves if we so choose. I do not envy their task.

Blanca, you've had the opportunity to travel quite a bit, and it shows in your original premise...that at our core as human beings, all but an extremely tiny fraction of a percentage of us share some common desires. Everyone wants a better life for themselves, and a better life for their children. When I read your first post in this thread I was reminded of a great quote I read somewhere, the origin of which I don't know:

"Travel replaces an empty mind with an open one."

Someone in this thread asked a great question about whether we would come to the defense of our fellow Americans if we were threatened from outside. It is my opinion that the better question is "Will we defend our fellow Americans from threats from within?" The answer to that question is not encouraging if one looks at history.

For example, and to tie in a bit of the "Tyranny of the Majority" point that was brought up earlier in a different thread, I propose we recall the Salem Witch Trials...where God-fearing Americans worked themselves into such a state of paranoia that they turned upon themselves...members of their own beliefs. Ignorance coupled with piety can be an extremely dangerous combination regardless of what religous affiliation it comes from. That many Americans place more value on faith than critical thinking skills is disturbing when one considers where this can lead.

If you prefer, recall the internment of patriotic Americans at the beginning of American involvement in World War 2 simply because we were more interested in how people were different than what we shared in common. We're quite capable of turning on ourselves very quickly.

I am reminded of this writing:

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

To conclude my participation in this thread (I will make no response to any portions of this writing quoted out of context), there would be little to fear in "differences" if we as a species were wise enough to accept, find value in diversity, and realize we all share some commonality regardless of nationality, race, sexual preference, caste, or religous affiliation or lack thereof. Such a world is difficult to achieve when there are politicians, priests, and pundits earning a living by dividing us into subcategories, then making us afraid of one another.

Unfortunately with the creation of nuclear and biological weapons it doesn't take many ignorant people to exterminate all of us.

Thanks again to Blanca, our moderators, and the rational voices in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
F=MA;2475717 While there is still some of the bigotry said:
F=MA, you hit the proverbial nail squarely on it's head with this comment. Thanks for your well written and accurate post!

Blanca, I agree with your beliefs we are the same but unfortunately our learned behaviour affects us and we have to overcome the negative teachings, or lack of teaching, in order to become better human beings.

Growing up in Memphis, I learned a pattern of beliefs that, as a young boy, I soon realized were not right, fair, etc....all based on stereotypical beliefs and thoughts. Most of us know right vs. wrong, although some still have a muddled belief on that as well. Posts such as this thread are risky, but thought provoking and enjoyable for some here. But you will always have that fringe element that always believe they have the ultimate, deity provided, political solution. Regards!

Oh no no, if I've given the impression that I blame others that is certainly not
the case. The rose colored glasses don't work in the mirror either and I believe
I'm harder on myself than anyone else...I'm all for personal accountability.

And I thank God for all the blessings he's bestowed upon me, and they be
many and I deserve none.

(Regardless, my brother is still a huge horses :moon:) :laugh:

Thread hijack by Poppy......
Most brothers are, right? I certainly feel for your situation. Eventually he will get his "share". We should all take heed of this issue and make sure our Will spells out time frames too......like no sales until Mom is gone. Good luck with that stuff!

Interesting, but all too common with why there is a divide in this country. The liberals, if you don't agree them, you are a bigot, ignorant, or misdirected. Funny stuff, but the liberals are as much or more to blame for the issue that Blanca posts about in this thread. The liberals want to fundamentally change this country, for the worse IMO. Just like the ****** of a president we have now. Bottom line, will I fight for my fellow Americans? Yup! But will I take up arms against my fellow -
Americans that want to destroy it? Absolutely!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you are correct, my friend. It is the beliefs that make the difference.
And that is why I am against religion.

agreed, faith is a funny thing, being middle eastern I cannot say that out loud without consquences! but seeing how sectarianism is fueled up by peoples beliefs out here, its all their "faith" that is to blame because i know that for certain.

Its sad seeing my colleagues at work disrespect our boss (behind her back) because she is of a different sect inspite of her very good treatment to us, its faith...blind faith, that shows no consideration to any other thats different, I for one cannot justify or accept that.

since i let go off faith a few years ago, lifes never been better.

Black , brown , white ,
gays getting married ,
Atheist , Muslim ,
Christian , Jew ,
straight , poor , rich ,
conservative , liberal ,

single mother on welfare ,
criminal , victim , child ,
the elderly , father , son ,
daughter , mother ,
black sheep , thin ,
fat , the healthy , sick ,