I went to the Darkside - AKA, car tire on the bike

I own a FJR1300 , and a recent customer has one as well . His had a car tire Till I explained all the dangers . He also lost his transmission due to the extra 8 pounds of tire with added rolling resistance of a flat surface 205 series . 40,000 miles of just trips hwy cost him about 2200 dollars in parts/labor .
However he was very lucky to never go down . He never beat on his FJR either . Extrat weight /load = extra wear / tear .

If you were familiar with tire construction / loads on types this would not be done by a normal person . Is saving a few hundred dollars a year on tires worth the extra risk to life/limb ?

Your life your answer . Good luck to your quest .

Dangers mate people have done millions of miles on CT on certain bikes and not one incident accident due to a CT failure I personally have about 70K experience on them not one problem what so ever just like any other tyres or items as long as you check them regular you will be fine :thumbsup:

I own a FJR1300 , and a recent customer has one as well . His had a car tire Till I explained all the dangers . He also lost his transmission due to the extra 8 pounds of tire with added rolling resistance of a flat surface 205 series . 40,000 miles of just trips hwy cost him about 2200 dollars in parts/labor .
However he was very lucky to never go down . He never beat on his FJR either . Extrat weight /load = extra wear / tear .

If you were familiar with tire construction / loads on types this would not be done by a normal person . Is saving a few hundred dollars a year on tires worth the extra risk to life/limb?
I would suspect a faulty transmission or other factor before I suspected the CT. Especially with the weight of all those who run CT's WITHOUT having transmission problems.

Then again I'm just a shadetree, I wrench without knowing too much of material sciences. :)

I would suspect a faulty transmission or other factor before I suspected the CT. Especially with the weight of all those who run CT's WITHOUT having transmission problems.

Then again I'm just a shadetree, I wrench without knowing too much of material sciences. :)

FJR has a slightly different style transmission ST = Shaft transmission it uses a ramp spring the extra weight causes more load on this spring = faster wear .
when spring gets weak the system starts coming out of gear .

This part / # Spring, Compression
90501-75638-00

Link to Micro fiche . == 2006 Yamaha FJR13ABS (FJR13AV) Middle Drive Gear | Ron Ayers

FYI a crash with a car tire on a motorcycle = Insurance can deny claim

FJR has a slightly different style transmission ST = Shaft transmission it uses a ramp spring the extra weight causes more load on this spring = faster wear .
when spring gets weak the system starts coming out of gear .

This part / # Spring, Compression
90501-75638-00

Link to Micro fiche . == 2006 Yamaha FJR13ABS (FJR13AV) Middle Drive Gear | Ron Ayers

FYI a crash with a car tire on a motorcycle = Insurance can deny claim
The last point - nope! I’m licensed in 5 states and have practiced insurance law for almost 3 decades. You’re just flat wrong.

I rode a Gold Wing with a car tire that belongs to a neighbor. I had to because in my mind that just can't work
Truth is after you get past walking speed it cornered fine.
Would I do it on my Busa? Probably not, but for people that crush the miles it's a valid option IMO

I rode a Gold Wing with a car tire that belongs to a neighbor. I had to because in my mind that just can't work
Truth is after you get past walking speed it cornered fine.
Would I do it on my Busa? Probably not, but for people that crush the miles it's a valid option IMO

Does it balance the bike at low speeds, since it's wide and flat?
I'm sure you can lean and tip it over, but will it sit upright off the kickstand?
I would think maybe, but only if it was wide enough.
I've always wondered.

The last point - nope! I’m licensed in 5 states and have practiced insurance law for almost 3 decades. You’re just flat wrong.
Because you have not encountered it yet ? I'm licensed through state board of Texas Insurance . Shall we begin debating ?
You know very well of all the items that can deny a claim.

Does it balance the bike at low speeds, since it's wide and flat?
I'm sure you can lean and tip it over, but will it sit upright off the kickstand?
I would think maybe, but only if it was wide enough.
I've always wondered.
The one I rode wasn't wide enough to stand up by itself, but when you pick it up off the kickstand to stand it up it came up to center way easier than a motorcycle tire. Had to catch it the first time with my right knee lol

I like to use semi tires. One tire should outlast the bike. Plus that 19.5 rear looks badass. Next I'm bringing the wide tire look back from 06' with a super single set up. Everyone will be so jealous.

Back