I went to the Darkside - AKA, car tire on the bike

I find myself on the fence somewhat when it comes to this issue...there seems to be plenty of information related to highway cruising on other types of machines which seems positive overall, but the lack of information on this conversion on a sport style bike with more aggressive riding habits/angles makes me a little nervous. In any case, :thumbsup: to you for being brave and doing the experimentation so that the rest of us might be able to learn from your experiences!

Friends don't let friends do this to a Busa.... ever! :laugh:

Now off to the corner you go >>

I too am considering a car tyre for my next rear tyre on the busa. I run a car tyre on my Rocket3 and it is awesome. I dont see why it would be any different on the busa. If I dont like it then I will go back to motorcycle tyres but I am going to give it a go. I find with the Rocket3 you need to counter steer slightly into corners and then it all happens very smoothly and easily.
My only problem is you beat me to it. :thumbsup:

It was a sad day for busa's. Did anyone ever think that maybe motorcycle tires are the way that they are? A lot of very smart people took a lot of thier time to design these things. I don't care how much "research" you guys did to decide that this was safe or smart. Obviously not as much as the people who designed motorcycle tires. Just saying.

I think Cycle World's Paul Dean wrote about this topic some time ago in the "Service" section of the magazine. I'll try to find the article.

You do not play baseball with a golf club if you tried you might be able to but it would still not be being done correctly. And you dont put a car tire one of the most powerful motorcycles ever produced. Unless you like being ridiculed. Their is no way around this please put that tire on a cavalier , slap urself once and send us all a censeer apology for making us endure this malarky. Thank you and may god bless you.

Regardless of the application... how come nobody gets these tires shaved to give the tire a proper round profile like a motorcycle tire?

If you were running a sidecar I could understand it. Expecting a care tire to perform similar to a motorcycle tire is not something I would be willing to experiment with. Yes, others have done it and give reports indicatiing nothing was terribly wrong with it. However, who wants to be the 1st to report it was a mistake because it contributed to a crash? Its just not worth it IMHO.

7k out of a tyre on a busa is a major bonus,I have come across a few bikes here in Aus with car tyres but you will be brutally ass rammed by the insurance if you have an accident,no pay out due to the fact that the tyre was not constructed for that purpose not to mention that the local oxygen thieves (cops)will prosecute you for having a defective vehicle with an illegal tyre.

Anyone else try a different tire, hopefully with a rounder profile. I've been running Darkside (car tires) for years on my Goldwing with excellent results. Even tested them at Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow Raceway with no ill effect at speed. I'm planning on a long summer tour with the Busa and having to mount two sets of tires on the trip doesn't appeal to me. Here's a video of me filming another Goldwing with car tires at Laguna. https://youtu.be/BmNqKOhX1r4

Anyone else try a different tire, hopefully with a rounder profile. I've been running Darkside (car tires) for years on my Goldwing with excellent results. Even tested them at Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow Raceway with no ill effect at speed. I'm planning on a long summer tour with the Busa and having to mount two sets of tires on the trip doesn't appeal to me. Here's a video of me filming another Goldwing with car tires at Laguna. https://youtu.be/BmNqKOhX1r4

Old thread from the dark years? :laugh:

For touring and not hitting twisties at speed, I can't imagine any issues. Turn in will be slower and if you hit a long bend at high speed, I will close my eyes and pray. Other than that, mega miles.

It's your ride...For me, 7k and the ability to turn properly far exceeds any benefit that Potenza will give you.

The Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid was discontinued for a reason, they suck. A Potenza 050A or S-04 would give better grip, but still they are car tires.. Motorcycle tires are designed for motorcycles.. it is just logical..

-D

Have been running a CT on my wing for many years now and works good with this bike and other styles of bikes similar to the wing read heavy but I won't be in a hurry to put one on my busa :laugh: BTW not all CT are created equal some you get better milage some you get better cornering performance etc but good luck to the OP for tying out on the busa since its a old tread I wonder does he still run the CT ? :thumbsup:

i pray and hope the dude sisnt buy the farm....He never did update this thread to let us all know.

Back