TIRE PRESSURE

Question....why do racers run lower air pressure in their tires?
uhmmmm....I gotta go with...

cause they're...racing?
laugh.gif

and there's many huge difs between them and us BA....like...

No sipping/tread and...

some will scream through two or more sets of tires in a single race day...with the intent of NEVER using any of todays used tires EVER again and...

none of their bikes weigh 500+ Lbs....huge dif there.

I cringe to think of a 500+lb bike that belts out 100ftlbs running on 32psi....absolutely insane..beyond insane.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I'm not trying to compare street riding with racing
biggrin.gif

The reason that they do is....as the temperature of their tires increases....so does its air pressure.

If you are pushing your tires hard enough you need to lower your air pressure....very few here on this board are capable of that...but many think they can
wink.gif

Under inflation and over inflation can both be very dangerous....at the track I run 31 front 30 rear....I still must be careful to let the tires come up to temp or they will slip or rip.

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138850214 -->

I'm not trying to compare street riding with racing
biggrin.gif

The reason that they do is....as the temperature of tire increases....so does its air pressure.

If you are pushing your tires hard enough you need to lower your air pressure....very few here on this board are capable of that...but many think they can
wink.gif

Under inflation and over inflation can both be very dangerous....at the track I run 31 front 30 rear....I still must be careful to let the tires come up to temp or they will slip or rip.
hence why they make and sell..."Tire Warmers"

This has nothing to do with tire warmers....warmers are so your tires are up to temp for the first corner of the race.

Tire warmers also reduce the number of "heat cycles" to prolong the life of a race tire....more so for the track day/club racer who may do several sessions or days on a set of tires.

Race tires and even street tires grow with heat and speed....you could run your tires at the manufacturers specs all day under normal conditions. If your riding pace warrants it....basically racing on the street....you might need to drop your pressure accordingly  
wink.gif

Racin' is for race tracks
tounge.gif

rock.gif
[/QUOTE]
rock.gif
rock.gif

Got aweful quiet 'round here all of a sudden

<!--EDIT|Nijinsky3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138852559 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

Jinks,

Where did you get your tires hot . CRUISING THRU the florida Keys?
rock.gif
?  ;):

I'm talking about riding the canyons and twisties. Most agreed , running 42 wasnt the best.

I never claimed to be an expert  .Take the post for what its worth and add your opinion .

"UNMODDING THE BUSA FOR COMFORT" sure doesn't  not give you a lot of brag on this subject.  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|hionbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138867262 -->

biggrin.gif

I don't care WHAT happens to the tires, I DEMAND GRIP!!! 42 big long touring deals, 34-36 on streets and Iowa "Canyons", 29 on a race track.

Mr. 42 says, "Yeah, I know I slid out wide on that sandy corner back there but WHO CARES!! I'm getting an extra 10 miles out of this tire that will wear out and need replaced eventually, anyway!"

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138883062 -->

I don't care WHAT happens to the tires, I DEMAND GRIP!!!  42 big long touring deals, 34-36 on streets and Iowa "Canyons", 29 on a race track.

Mr. 42 says, "Yeah, I know I slid out wide on that sandy corner back there but WHO CARES!!  I'm getting an extra 10 miles out of this tire that will wear out and need replaced eventually, anyway!"
Thank you ,

oh, and the 29 on the track is cuz after they warm up, the airpressure rises about 6 PSI. Plus, tracks have many less bumps, curbs and cracks than roads so extra air not needed.... you also get that fat, gooey contact patch for when you knee drag around corners with your bike is all leaned over. ok I'm done yakking

Ive always run 42psi my tires, my fronts feather if they are below that and my rears get unstable in the corners.
Please describe feathering and unstable in a bit more detail. The dealer has always set the stock tires at 38 rear and 36 front. I have left them that way, because 42 seemed so high to me.

They seem to ride OK, but maybe there is something I should be noticing if I were paying more attention?

Anyone feel free to chime in. I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.
Feathering= the leading edge of each rain groove will be higher then the trialing edge ( the tire feels bumpy when you run your hand over it)
Unstable= the rear does not track predictably ( feels squishy when leaned over)
I increased the tire pressure to 40 psi front and back with a very accurate dial gauge. I ran my hand over the tire before and after, and I thought maybe I felt slightly what you said at the lower pressure, but honnestly I can't say for sure.

I took the bike out for a run at 70 degrees with the tires at 40 psi.
The front felt OK, but the back seemed a littled wiggly at normal driving (no hard leans, just running 80 or 90 and slower and normal stop and go. The back just felt a little loose. The difference is minor, I can't really tell. I'm inclined to put it back to 38 rear and 36 front.

Anybody chime in and say if I'm getting it wrong.

Ive always run 42psi  my tires, my fronts feather if they are below that and my rears get unstable in the corners.
Please describe feathering and unstable in a bit more detail. The dealer has always set the stock tires at 38 rear and 36 front. I have left them that way, because 42 seemed so high to me.

They seem to ride OK, but maybe there is something I should be noticing if I were paying more attention?

Anyone feel free to chime in.  I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.
Feathering= the leading edge of each rain groove will be higher then the trialing edge ( the tire feels bumpy when you run your hand over it)
I increased the tire pressure to 40 psi front and back with a very accurate dial gauge.  I ran my hand over the tire before and after, and I thought maybe I felt slightly what you said at the lower pressure, but honnestly I can't say for sure.

The front felt OK, but the back seemed a littled wiggly at normal driving (no hard leans, just running 80 or 90 and slower and normal stop and go. The back just felt a little loose.  The difference is minor, I can't really tell.  I'm inclined to put it back to 38 rear and 36 front.

Feathering ( or cupping what ever you want to call it ) happens over time. You wont feel it by changing air pressure, but it happens due TO low pressure
wink.gif

Ive always run 42psi  my tires, my fronts feather if they are below that and my rears get unstable in the corners.

Anyone feel free to chime in.  I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.
I increased the tire pressure to 40 psi front and back with a very accurate dial gauge.  I ran my hand over the tire before and after, and I thought maybe I felt slightly what you said at the lower pressure, but honnestly I can't say for sure.

The front felt OK, but the back seemed a littled wiggly at normal driving (no hard leans, just running 80 or 90 and slower and normal stop and go. The back just felt a little loose.  The difference is minor, I can't really tell.  I'm inclined to put it back to 38 rear and 36 front.

Do whatever makes you feel fuzzy inside  
smile.gif
, but I've never had the rear feel wiggley or unsure at 42 psi. And I ride at your speeds for hours on end ! Also, the brand of tire makes alot of difference in pressures and feel. One at 42 may feel like your about to loose it, while the other feels solid. Just don't go too low or you'll ruin your tires real quick  
umnik.gif
. If it feels good to you and your comfortable with the feel of the tires, GO WITH what you got  
beerchug.gif

Fav,

For normal riding I would think its best to keep your pressure at max (around 42 ) or your previous setting .
It will make you tire last longer.

Now , if you are about to go to a track or just get lean and mean at the canyons. I personnaly noticed that my bike gripped better at a lower rear tire PSI.

I'm going to leave it at 40 for a while and see if my imagination is working overtime. If it feels OK, I might bump it up to 42. Seems like Zuke would know what their OEM tires should run at. The dealer set the tires at 38 rear, 36 front. Most of you who run lower have the rear lower than the front.

Do whatever makes you feel fuzzy inside  
smile.gif
, but I've never had the rear feel wiggley or unsure at 42 psi. And I ride at your speeds for hours on end ! Also, the brand of tire makes alot of difference in pressures and feel. One at 42 may feel like your about to loose it, while the other feels solid. Just don't go too low or you'll ruin your tires real quick  
umnik.gif
. If it feels good to you and your comfortable with the feel of the tires, GO WITH what you got  
beerchug.gif
Bingo!!! Different pressures work for different riders!! No two set up are exactly the same.

Most of you who run lower have the rear lower than the front.
Actually, I always run the front a little lower than the rear.  I would always rather have extra grip in the front, a slipping rear tire is much easier for me to handle than a slipping front tire.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138997750 -->

Most of you who run lower have the rear lower than the front.
Actually, I always run the front a little lower than the rear.  I would always rather have extra grip in the front, a slipping rear tire is much easier for me to handle than a slipping front tire.  
wink.gif
Use the same pressure front and rear....for solo aggressive type riding you can drop a pound or two in the rear....reason being with the Busa you will be able to get alot more heat into the rear tire than you will ever get with the front.

Hot tires vs. cold ones....the pressure will rise 4-6 lbs. Most riders will drive out of the corners hard...but won't dive into them as agressively.

38 front and 36 rear when cold should equal about 42 when hot.

This will all very on temp of the day, road surface, rider ability...at the track I run 31 front and 30 rear cold....and look for them to be about 36 hot.

Back