How much do you have?

How much do you have? - Education that is?

• Didn't finish high school/ no Ged

Votes: 110 100.0%

• Total voters
Dropped out of high school because I knew everyting. Went to the Army for 6 years. Used the GI bill for school while working at the prison. Got my 2 year in law enforcement spring of 06. Ive been a correctional officer since 1996, the degree will help with promotions.
Promotions...exactly. I would not be in my position if I wasn't working toward my bachelors. Kinda makes me sick. I have worked with some who have their masters and I am the one training them...little ol' me with an associates. Hmmmm....
wtf.gif

I struggle with this topic.  

I stress to my children (2 in college currently) the benefits of a college degree but also let them know if they decide to join the work force instead, there is no shame in that.  I dropped out of college after a couple of years and it drove a wedge between my father and I that took almost 10 years (and his heart attack) to repair.  My dad told me I would never amount to shid if I didn't have a degree.

It is entirely possible to be successful without having a degree.  I have a nice office, more e-mail than I care for, had a 2 hours business lunch this afternoon, travel internationally and have global responsibilities for a Fortune Global 500 Company, all without a college degree.  Can it be done?  Yes.  Oh, and last year I helped my parents build their retirement house.
May I ask what you do?
Absolutely but the title is a little long, Director of Global Telecommunications Business Operations. In a nutshell, I'm responsible for all of the vendor management, reporting, contractual managmenet and operational finances for the world's largest confectionery company's voice and data communications.

BS in mechanical engineering paid for 100% by USAF.

That said, even though I make a decent living, I have several friends with no degrees that do much better than I do.

I struggle with this topic.  

I stress to my children (2 in college currently) the benefits of a college degree but also let them know if they decide to join the work force instead, there is no shame in that.  I dropped out of college after a couple of years and it drove a wedge between my father and I that took almost 10 years (and his heart attack) to repair.  My dad told me I would never amount to shid if I didn't have a degree.

It is entirely possible to be successful without having a degree.  I have a nice office, more e-mail than I care for, had a 2 hours business lunch this afternoon, travel internationally and have global responsibilities for a Fortune Global 500 Company, all without a college degree.  Can it be done?  Yes.  Oh, and last year I helped my parents build their retirement house.
May I ask what you do?
Absolutely but the title is a little long, Director of Global Telecommunications Business Operations.  In a nutshell, I'm responsible for all of the vendor management, reporting,  contractual managmenet and operational finances for the world's largest confectionery company's voice and data communications.
WOW! Thats awesome! I would love to work in confectionery. Do you have to know different languages? Your job sounds stressful but fun!
thumb_up.gif

I got good news this week. Your tax dollars just paid for me to go to school next year. I just got grants for 8,400.00 dollars this week. I'm a 27 year old single male with no kids, and no military service. It pays to work very little while in school! That's how you do it folks!
laugh.gif

4 Years in the US ARMY 1986 to 1990 , I was a Combat Infantry Engineer & Heavy Equipment Operator. After time in the service I worked for Hamm's Quarry as a Truck Driver. I got a job offer working for the Kansas Department of Transportation as an Equipment operator and I am now a Highway Maintenance Supervisor. A little boring life but it pays the bills!
thumb_up.gif

5 yrs in the Army as a Infantryman (very important field outside of the military), B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Additional courses in Bio and Health, commercial pilot, and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. Go figure.

I got good news this week.  Your tax dollars just paid for me to go to school next year.  I just got grants for 8,400.00 dollars this week.  I'm a 27 year old single male with no kids, and no military service.  It pays to work very little while in school!  That's how you do it folks!
laugh.gif
Ummmm...your welcome.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

A 2 year Associates Degree. Went to school full time, with a full time job, and paid for it myself. I think I have done well for what I have done and where I am at in life. But every now and then think I could of done more......just knowing what that more was has eluded me!!!

WOW! Thats awesome! I would love to work in confectionery. Do you have to know different languages? Your job sounds stressful but fun!
thumb_up.gif
Thanks!  

It's a good company and they've taken care of me and my family.  Unfortunately, none of the chocolates are made here so I stock up when I go to the UK.  I guess it's like any other job, when things are running smooth, there is time to play but when things aren't it's stressful.

That's why I said I'm torn, I've done well without one and realize that I'm fortunate.  I'm also realistic enough to know that having a degree will open doors for my children that may not be available to them otherwise.  The challenge is striking a balance between being supportive and encouraging as opposed to overbearing and dictatorial.  With my dad and I it became a "thing" that I was going to prove myself without the degree and used it as a motivator within my professional life.  I also believe that the term "success" is relative, but that's another soapbox.  
winkold.gif

Because we are a UK based company, outside of the Queens English, I'm not required to speak another language.  
laugh.gif
  I do speak some Spanish.  I've spent most of my life in south Texas and a lot of it in border towns as a child.

I got good news this week.  Your tax dollars just paid for me to go to school next year.  I just got grants for 8,400.00 dollars this week.  I'm a 27 year old single male with no kids, and no military service.  It pays to work very little while in school!  That's how you do it folks!
laugh.gif
Only now do I see how not working would ever be so beneficial. I have one scholarship and should be getting a second one at the end of this semester. I do not qualifiy for any grant money and it makes things a little tougher. I should be ok in the fall though. I'm signing up for ROTC then. Uncle Sam says he will pay for school if I work for him when I'm done. I think it will be a good trade off. Free school for a few years of service.

I served US Army and did 4 combat tours.  I have an extremely heavy heart now and  
that kind of experience takes things from you.  The sh!t stuck in my head will haunt me forever.
God bless you for your sacrifice to allow people like me to site here safe and free. I hope you can find peace.

Edjamakashion?

As my Pappy said, "kenny, gits away from dat dare wheelbarra, dat's a compleamackated piece o' masheenaree."

HIC...
beerchug.gif

cheers
ken

I served US Army and did 4 combat tours.  I have an extremely heavy heart now and  
that kind of experience takes things from you.  The sh!t stuck in my head will haunt me forever.
God bless you for your sacrifice to allow people like me to site here safe and free.  I hope you can find peace.
+100! Can't say it any better than this guy did. I hope time back home (and motorcycles) will help you put that stuff behind you as best you can. Thanks for serving.

Not to threadjack, but on this note-

My son is graduating from High School with a 3.5 GPA and a 28 composite ACT, and has been accepted to the University of Arkansas College of Engineering.

He is eligible for ZERO scholarships, or financial aid. We are completely on our own to pay for his education.

Is it just me, or is there something very wrong with this system?
rock.gif

Not to threadjack, but on this note-

My son is graduating from High School with a 3.5 GPA and a 28 composite ACT, and has been accepted to the University of Arkansas College of Engineering.

He is eligible for ZERO scholarships, or financial aid. We are completely on our own to pay for his education.

Is it just me, or is there something very wrong with this system?  
rock.gif
Sounds like something is wrong. Not too joke on Arkansas but what merits an academic scholarship? Here the lady told me I could get on an academic scholarship if the grades from this semester were 3.2 or higher. I think more states should find ways to institutionalize programs similar to Gerogia's Hope scholarship. Just my
2cents.gif

Back