How far can you lean?

This all assume the tyre maintains contact with the road 100%....which on most roads it won't. ...not taking the busa to the track but on the road i can easily get within a few mm of the edges on the stock tyres.

Michelin pilot road 4's are quite a bit harder to get there as the profile leans more aggressively.
so without having a control tyre or gyro etc to measure the lean angle its all irrelevant from 1 rider to the next.
A Busa is more sporty than most would ever guess as it's very balanced mid corner.

You take a HEAVY bike, with HEAVy power, and a HEAVY Rider that knows how to ride, and on the track he can certainly burn thru a street tire in a day or so. There's so much power moving so much mass, that if you get too heavy handed coming out of the corner, you can actually see the tears on the tire where they are getting hard into the power curve while leaned over coming out of the exit. While slicks will help some, even then it will do the same...suspension and the rider coming onto the throttle with a linear smooth motion will help make the tire last longer. Also, when you get to that, you ARE getting to the grip limit of the rear...and highsides HURT...

This all assume the tyre maintains contact with the road 100%....which on most roads it won't. ...not taking the busa to the track but on the road i can easily get within a few mm of the edges on the stock tyres.

Michelin pilot road 4's are quite a bit harder to get there as the profile leans more aggressively.
so without having a control tyre or gyro etc to measure the lean angle its all irrelevant from 1 rider to the next.
A Busa is more sporty than most would ever guess as it's very balanced mid corner.

Being that I am in the over 200lb club, stock suspension maxxed out still makes for a crappy experience when pushing it. The bike was designed for a 150lb rider with adjustability to maybe 190lbs.

With that being said, the Busa is ok but my best riding attempts in the corners whether on the street or at the track has been with aftermarket support.

So mine is setup with tuned Ohlins forks and shock, completely updated brakes (Nissin radial calipers, Braketech rotors, Brembo MC, HEL brake lines, HD brake pads and race brake fluid, Carrozzeria wheels w/ceramic bearings and not mention bike lightened 70lbs) this really makes the Busa a blast to ride compared to stock.

You really want to make cornering a little better, you can take out the crank and have it completely lightened along with the crank balancer and now you can apply power a little sooner giving a more linear power rise without upsetting the bike as much as before.

Fallenarch, thanks for sharing the visual. I always marvel at how far over professional racers and even some people I see on social media are able to get their bikes to lean. I'll probably never get over far enough to drag a knee but I do like to ride the local twisties. Biggest thing that worries me, especially this time of year is gravel getting washed onto the road from side roads and private driveways.

Fallenarch, thanks for sharing the visual. I always marvel at how far over professional racers and even some people I see on social media are able to get their bikes to lean. I'll probably never get over far enough to drag a knee but I do like to ride the local twisties. Biggest thing that worries me, especially this time of year is gravel getting washed onto the road from side roads and private driveways.

Which is why YOU TAKE IT TO THE TRACK....learn it THERE not on the streets!!!

Arch: Your bike is plenty modded enough (to drag a knee all day long)...instead of spending money on parts, how about spending $$ on YOURSELF (i.e. tracktime)...?

Which is why YOU TAKE IT TO THE TRACK....learn it THERE not on the streets!!!

Arch: Your bike is plenty modded enough (to drag a knee all day long)...instead of spending money on parts, how about spending $$ on YOURSELF (i.e. tracktime)...?

I have a mods plan for the bike but it has taken me much longer to get there than I thought. I love riding but I also love building great bikes. I'll be focused on the track to improve my riding for the next couple years.

THIS!!!! Lighter wheels is completely unnecessary at this point, really ever... The best money you can spend early on is on track time itself

Not to be a wise ass Arch,it appears not only are you puttin' a lot of stress on that tire...but also the asphalt it's leanin' on.:laugh:

(I had to do it Arch,too good to pass up!:laugh:)

It's not asphalt, it is concrete and he leaned so hard there is now a large crack throughout it's entire width. :whistle:

This far.

6723830335_b44d74277d_b.jpg

9135095801_c7d31da674_b.jpg

Arch - That is a cool demonstration! It does add an interesting perspective to it.

Pashnit - Looks like you're about to drag the camera on that shot. Awesome picture!

The stuff about street tires getting greasy is news to me, but it sure makes since. I may have pull the trigger on something a little better than these stock ones.

Attached is my tire after one day at the track taking it fairly easy. It's a stock Battlax BT016. It had about 1500 miles on it before that. It has a few areas of light tearing in the outer layers. I could see running thru these quickly for someone who was really riding it. I'm not sure what the dark spot is, but it looks like an outline of the actual contact patch while standing still.

As far as lean, I managed to hit my toe slider but I don't think I hit the feeler under the pegs. Probably a sign of bad foot position more than extreme lean:)

So is the consensus that one could drag the stock cans if they had the skill?

WP_20150330_18_25_02_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
TNT not sure what would ground first. I have rearsets and a Yoshi exhaust and all of that gets your more ground clearance. But the stock stuff is considerably lower. I ground the end of the peg a bit on my Vortex rearsets and I grounded my boot several times. Of course I have a 13 wide foot and it's hard to turn it on those little pegs without the boot being the lowest point.

Back