How cold

When it gets real cold (30 or below) I tend to stick to just riding back and forth to work (20 minutes each way). Longer rides are a little too painful (aka not as much fun). I have cold weather gear but I (as yet) don't have any additional heating (grips, vest, etc).

I ride all year except when the roads are unsafe (too much salt/sand/snow).

32F is as cold as I'll go. But for work commute on a sunny day I'll do mid 30sF any time; because when I get off work, its usually 25 to 30F warmer and that's about perfect ... not too hot, not too cold.

beerchug.gif

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

High: 68 °F
Low: 52 °F
High: 75 °F
Low: 55 °F
High: 75 °F
High: 80 °F
High: 82 °F

wink.gif

Only snow and ice stop me, not temperature. I have have the Busa out at -15, I just bundle up good and take it easy on the corners in the winter.

That's about the same for me. However, IMHO, if it gets below about 35 average temp, in this area, there will be areas slightly above and slightly below (+/- 5 degrees). Therefore, if the forecasted temp is under 35, I keep the bike parked.

Other than that, the main thing for me to ride in the cold is to gear up to keep warm:

50+: I can wear my normal gear. Leathers, summer gauntlets, etc.

Under 50: Switch to Lee Parks PCI gloves, add balaclava, add a long sleeved shirt under the leathers.

Under 40: Add another long sleeved shirt and/or sweater.

About 35: Buy a wireless electric vest. Haven't done it yet, but it's on the list to guarantee warm core temp that will allow me to keep warm fingers.

this pic says it all :laugh: funny thing is i don't see anyone else out when i'm riding in this kind of weather...where do all the "bikers" go? btw, no, i do not wear heated gear

IMG_1729 (Large).jpg

Well I hang on until it's about -1 to -5 degrees Celcius ( 30F to 23F) then I stop because there's usually ice patches around and that's not good. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants are plenty warm with a balaclava and full length gloves. So now my busa is covered with a nice warm blanky and waiting for warmer days in April. :thumbsup:

NWS Windchill Chart

The above chart is an excellent reference. On the same page, they also provide a windchill calculator.

Interesting to note is that the cooling effect of wind speed is lessened as speed increases. Also, as temp decreases, so does the cooling effect with the onset of any wind at all.

Back