How cold

I ride down to 40 usually but if I feel up to it as low as 32. Here in Florida that only happens in the early morning for maybe a week. By mid day it is comfy again.

I ride until the sand and salt hits the road from the first snow. Electric gloves and Balaclava go a long way to keeping you from being to cold to ride!

Just have to wear the proper gear, and avoid the snow. Been riding 20 miles each way to work this week, and average temp is about 24F in the early am and late pm. I ditched the snowmobile jacket today and upgraded to an Alpinestars Space Drystar Jacket

82184da46bc8e6f2ab21a01363dbd55d_thumb.jpg

Match it up with some leather pants, quality gloves & boots, and some Alpinestars thermal bottoms, and Im almost too warm. Plan on riding until the salt trucks start doing regular duty on the roads.

Maybe its a Minnesota thing, but the cold doesn't bother us snomobile folks, but heavy rain and 35F temps, with a 20+ side wind is about as miserable as it can get while riding for 12+ hours.

Ohhh....Make sure you check your tire pressure on a regular basis when the temps get cold or flucuate alot durring the day. Say safe all
beerchug.gif

(Willie G @ Oct. 21 2006,00:37) First test of a stock windscreen vs. DB - I prefer the stocker - cleaner air for my helmet.
Can you clarify this for me?  cleaner air for your helmet?

I just purchased a db and am trying to figure out if that's what I want or a SR.

I ride no matter what the temp, as long as it isn't raining and cold, I'll ride in the rain but not rain and cold. as for below freezing, if there is black ice then I don't ride. other than that, fair game. I do have a balaclava, a JR alter ego jacket, long johns with the draggin jeans, and winter gloves and I'm fine. I would like to get a set of electric gloves and a vest. I think I would be set then.

as for the fella that mentioned the fogged visor, take your visor off. put 4-5 drops of dish soap on the inside of the visor, rub it all around the visor. then polish it clean with a paper towel. takes less than 5 minutes and is cheaper than dirt to keep a fog free visor. it'll last a little longer, but  I usually reapply every sunday.

(Mr. Anderson @ Oct. 25 2006,16:39) put 4-5 drops of dish soap on the inside of the visor, rub it all around the visor. then polish it clean with a paper towel. takes less than 5 minutes and is cheaper than dirt to keep a fog free visor. it'll last a little longer, but I usually reapply every sunday.
Good tip, I will have to give it a try. I normally use "Zooke" wax, but just ran out and fogging is becomming an issue. Just wondering if the paper-towel will scratch the visor?

My trip to work is less than 2 miles so I dont see the need to spend 10 minutes getting geared up to ride 3 minutes.

not sure valium, my visors usuall get scratched over time. not by the papertowel either, these are larger scratches. so I end up replacing them. no biggie to me as I cannot stand a scratched up visor.

Oh I also noticed you mentioned MN, I was originally from Thief River Falls(home of ARTCO or Artic Cat), and i do agree with you about the cold and riding. Crazy, as kids we would ride from dusk till dawn practically and not get cold, I guess the heated handgrips and deflected exhaust to the feet did help
smile.gif

Couple of things:

1) Will have to try the soap to prevent fogging. It's starting to become a problem. Thanks for the tip. Do they make "battery operated" heating element inserts for visors.

2) Is there a temperature or condition (humidity level etc.) at which "Black Ice" forms more readily. I asked the other cold weather rider at work and he says he watches to see if it is present in the morning when he runs before he rides.

3) Another Ex-Minnesotan here but now work in IL and live in WI.

well generally if there is a frost advisory look out. any temp below 36 and be careful, frost can form at that temperature. as for black ice, that's why they call it black ice, it's usually undectable till its to late and your on it. I will occasionally put my foot down while riding and feel how slick the road feels. while this will not tell all of the road condition for the ride I will be on, it gives me a idea.

(busa_bill @ Oct. 22 2006,07:06) I'm gearing-up to ride the Texas winter  
biggrin.gif

My daily driver won't sit because of the cold we see here.

High 20's early morning will be about the coldest we have in Houston.
Balaclava shopping right now.
o.k. it get's pretty nasty up here as well and i would have to say is, just watch for morning due that turns into "black ice". make sure you allow extra time for your tires to warm up as well. i would also invest in some heated hand grips or good winter riding gloves. i like the grips personally because the winter gloves are too bulky. the "balaclava" keeps the cool air off of you but i can't breathe worth a dayum through it. the idiots that designed it probably didn't test there product because they leave an uncomfortable seam right across the bridge of your nose where the thick fleece meets the mesh. i picked up a "foggy mask" insert and i will probably cut my balaclava mask and use it as a neck warmer.

Back