How cold

Today I finally raised my handle bars using the inch and a quarter washer thing and took the ole girl for a spin. it was like 43 degrees out, not having good winter riding gear I fould that 1 sweater 1 long john shirt, long john's, sweat pants and jeans block the cold nicely. still have to get some nice riding gloves.

When it,s below 40, I,ll do the 10 min BLAST around the hood, and then it,s back to the garage. Get,s it out of my system for a while.

generally not colder than 20's
if it gets cooler, we'll have ice coming

just get good warm gear, but make sure you can move anround with it

It will get into the 30`s, to high 20`s here. I rode all year last year. FirstGear Killamanjero Jacket saved my ass, along with the FG over pants.

Another warm ride home this morning...loving the temps.

28 F....gota love the warm MN fall weather
cool.gif

Road salt and snow keep me off the roads, of course if it is close to freezing and raining I won't ride.

cheers
ken

(Valium @ Oct. 27 2006,03:22) Another warm ride home this morning...loving the temps.

28 F....gota love the warm MN fall weather
cool.gif
I hear you. When you start with a nice brisk ride to work in the morning you almost don't need the coffee..... but we won't go that far.

MyPicture33.gif

(FastanStrong @ Oct. 27 2006,03:57) Mid to upper 20's. It's not nice.
Same here tonight and tomorrow  
sad.gif
, if I go riding tomorrow I'll look like  this
poke.gif
 !! The Blue One and need lots of this  
coffee.gif

Its never too cold, you just have to be ready for whatever comes your way.  
laugh.gif

stud.jpg

Gettndown.jpg

Cold Weather Riding tips

The cold weather motorcycle riding season is just around the corner. Here are some thoughts that might make your riding more comfortable and above all safer.
note: This is not meant to be a technical article, as aspects related to thermoregulation are way beyond the scope of this writing. But it is meant to generate thinking on managing cold-weather riding.

Why we get cold:
The main reason we get cold when riding a motorcycle, even if well dressed, is that we typically generate very little heat while sitting still on a bike. Physical exertion or movement generates heat. Sitting still on a bike does not. As an example, cross-country skiers typically wear very little clothing even in the coldest weather and still feel warm.

When we start off on a cold weather ride, we feel warm and comfortable. As the ride goes on we feel progressively colder.

We can think of our body's temperature in terms of an account in which we make deposits or withdrawals. This is very similar to a bike's electrical system (ie charge vs discharge).

Let's take the example of a bike that runs off a fully charged battery but has no external-charging source (ie no alternator).

You start on your trip with a fully charged battery. The length of time that your battery charge will last depends on the size of the against the charge and how long these draws go on for. The higher the draw the shorter the amount of time that the battery charge will last. Fewer or smaller draws will allow the charge to last longer. So far, so good.

Exactly the same thing happens when we ride in cold weather. We start off feeling comfortable or maybe slightly overheating. As we ride, we will be subject to heat loss (from wind chill). Generally speaking, how long we last before we feel cold depends on how cold the temperature is, how fast we are riding (wind chill), and how long we are riding for.

Since we have no external heat source (ie like a bike with no charging system) our body's temperature-account is continuously being drawn upon. Just like the battery voltage continuously decreasing, our body will get progressively cooler.

So what if you dress very warmly?
Dressing warmly will slow down the heat loss (cooling effect). But you will still be drawing on the account. The only difference is that it will take a little longer for you to feel cold. But if the ride is long enough, you will feel cold.

Why?
Every inch of exposed skin is a heat radiator that works on the same principle as your bike's radiator. Your neck, ears, your face (chin, cheeks, nose, eyes) even the lower edge of your forehead (where the helmet stops) all act as heat radiators. In addition, with each exhaled breath you are losing close to 100% humidity as well as body heat. With each cold breath you take, you are cooling your system. In fact, if you do nothing else but breathe, you will eventually feel cold due to the draw on your system. Keep in mind that you are not moving around to counteract this heat loss as you would be in cross-country skiing or running. You are sitting perfectly still while exposed to a constant, heat-leaching, cold windblast.

In addition, there often is cold leakage through your clothing. Cold wind (ie 60mph and more) can penetrate some fabrics and zippers. Fabric that is essentially windproof at lower airspeeds can become permeable under pressure of wind. Providing a wind-proof barrier is essential.

There is also evaporative cooling that occurs as your body loses humidity. For example, your hands produce humidity inside your gloves. This humidity travels outwards to the glove surface. As evaporative cooling takes place, your gloves are cooled. This in turn cools your hands. So there are many draws on your body temperature-account, but no deposits. Soon your account is depleted and you are in danger of becoming hypothermic.

If you ride long enough with no outside source of heat, you will get cold. It's only a question of time.

This is not only a comfort issue. It's a safety issue. A cold and tense rider is not a safe rider. Situational awareness is decreased; thinking slows down, as do reflexes. Not a good thing. In addition, a tense rider expends more energy, further contributing to the downward spiral.

Cold Weather Riding: Heated Vest

How much heat?
A heated vest or other type of heated clothing is very effective at replacing lost body heat. But how much heat do you really need?

Good question. In fact we need much less than we might tend to think we need. But we need it distributed more evenly. And it helps if we don't lose the heat through convection or radiation heat loss.

Heated clothing is basically an external heat source. Its effectiveness will depend on our skin's ability to absorb and transfer this heat to our deeper tissues and muscles. The problem arises in that our skin can only transfer heat at a certain rate. If we apply more, the skin exceeds its ability to transfer and it burns (or cooks, if you will).

Let's think of how we cook meat. Plop a steak on a very hot grill and it will sear on the outside while remaining raw and cold on the inside. Plop a steak on a pan that is not as hot and it will warm evenly throughout. The same holds true for electric clothing. It’s really that simple.

This is what happens when a rider feels that the heated vest is almost burning next to his skin but he is still not warm enough. This is also what happens when a rider gets branded by the heating elements. The usual suspects here are uneven heat distribution often caused by too few heating elements.

So, to my mind, the answer to how much heat is required from a heated garment is the following: Adequate levels of heat, as much as you can handle, but distributed over a greater surface will be more effective as well as more comfortable than higher but more localized levels. It's all a question of rate of absorption.

The ideal, and most comfortable for me, is a heated garment set on low simmer that soothingly replaces lost body heat.

The Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves provides me with plently of warmth down to the single digit.

Link !

I ride until the salt is on the roads (usually December thru March)with heated gear, but I put on A LOT more miles when it's over 50 degrees!
firedevil.gif

(chalupa @ Nov. 03 2006,06:17) I ride until the salt is on the roads (usually December thru March)with heated gear, but I put on A LOT more miles when it's over 50 degrees!
firedevil.gif
Whad up Chalupa. Jefferson WI home of the worlds largest car show/ swap meet. Visit your fair city every spring and fall.

I just went for my first real cold weather ride. Its about 37- 40 degree's here. I put on my new riding pants. and my carhart coat. Did not feel the cold at all hands got a lil chill dont have real winter gloves. Got the idea to wear the carhart from the poster who said he rides in his camo gear.
super.gif

About 40 is the lowest for me. Then add the 80 mph windchill!!!

Ah!! Today Its just rite to wear my perf jacket over the long sleeve Org Tee. Just a bit cooler and i could wear all the gear i have in the closet!!
AOL.com Images Not Available

(BusaWhipped @ Oct. 21 2006,08:28) I'll ride down into the low 20s.
I use to. Getting old now
laugh.gif

But I got caught in the snow once. Sitting in my 8am in college it started snowing hard without me noticing till 1-2 inches were down.
I dont mind riding below 50 one way. Needs to be like 55 to work, low 40"s are ok if going home.

(darth frosty @ Nov. 12 2006,17:45) lookin good there 8Daytona8.  Whats the deal with the reflectors and the sticker on the tank?
I cant really say i mind them that much i guess! The stickers come in handy cause i do all my own maintenance, and reflectors saved an Air Force bud from spending the night in a ditch, pretty bumbed up with broken bones back in the dirt bike days. (Late night ride on the trail with too much Jack on board) Crooms M/C park North of Tampa Fl. Way back Military days, early 70's. I used to rag on him that he didn't ride that bike like it was meant to be if the street stuff wasn't ripped off from the woods. A flash light reflection made the diff just as we were ready to give up looking. Maybe they will come off when i get my chrome wheels on, i got off this site!
bowdown.gif

tounge.gif

all_coholic.gif

beerchug.gif

Back