Heard something AMAZING at the dealership

Tiresmoke

Registered
So I was browsing around at the local dealership and there was a squidly kid in there looking at the new GSXR750. The salesman actually asked him how much experience he had riding. He did the usual "Uhm, well, uhm... some... I mean... kinda... uhmmm..." type answer.

To this, the salesman actually said, "Look. I don't mean to be a bobo. But this is a serious machine. I HIGHLY recommend you look at something smaller and cheaper as much as you don't want to... it's just the smart thing to do."

I had to slap myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

ha ha - a guy I know is a dealer and he has actually said this to a kid before too - good to know there are some good people in this world huh !!
smile.gif

There are some good sales people out there.

The sales person I bought my Busa from was a good guy. He had done the same thing with the Busa, there were a few kids that had looked at the Busa and he told them he would not sell it to them. And I guess management backed him up on it.

They had however had some previous bad experiences that led to that, they had sold a Busa to a guy 6 months earlier, the guy had tried to do a wheelie like 2 months after he bought it, the problem was his fiancée was on the back of the bike when he did it. She died, he lived.

I guess this has happened a couple of times to this dealership, selling bad ass machines to kids who are squids and within a few months most of them had major accidents.

So dealerships are starting to be careful as to whom they sell bikes to, for moral reasons AND for liability reasons. I am sure it is only a matter of time before some parent sues a dealership for selling a motorcycle to their son that killed himself on it.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086715496 -->

Sues the dealership... and the manufacturer... and the guy who sold the gas for the bike... and the shop that wired the building that had the air compressor that filled the tires....
mad.gif

Sues the dealership... and the manufacturer... and the guy who sold the gas for the bike... and the shop that wired the building that had the air compressor that filled the tires....  
mad.gif
Sho' you right! The judicial system in this country really sucks the big one sometime doesn't it?
rock.gif
But, as far as the subject at hand, I feel somewhat refreshed that there is some morality left in the world. Whether it's from a guilty conscience or just an upstanding individual...the right thing is simply the right thing.

Brian

Great subject, my buddy and I were arguing over this very topic...I said that dealers these days will sell anything to anybody...he disagreed...so to prove my point we went to the four major suzuki dealers in town...I told the sales guys at all of them that I had zero experience riding, but I'm looking for the best bike...particularly the hayabusa (I even pronounced it wrong, it killed me doing so, but it helped to sell my the ingnorance factor)...3 out of the 4 dealers would have let me drive off the lot that day...My buddy was shocked...sad story but a true one

yep i walked in the dealer with 0 experience besides the MSF course and walked out that day with a new busa some dealers dont care if you are a rookie or a seasoned veteran rider they just see a $$$$ sign at least that is my experience

Good to know some good guys out there.

Believe it or not the flip side is a dearler out here in MA. That sells to anyone, and states "Give them 1/2 hour they will crack up and be buying another. THAT IS JUST SICK. Very busy road and there has been many that crashed with in 3 blocks of the dealer. There has been legal against them.

Hmmmm.... I thought this was the U.S.A.
rock.gif
??
You know land of the free. Home of the brave...yada yada yada...
With the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
rock.gif
??
I can just hear you guys howl, piss and moan if your dealership
didn't sell you YOUR busa, just because you couldn't PROVE you had
the experience or the skill to ride one.
One is responsible for one's own choices and actions.
BTW what exactly is that proof
rock.gif
??
I know people with years of riding "experience" that have no business
on ANY bike let alone a Busa. I knew a few that even though they'd
only been riding for a few months would have had no problem riding one.
The problem is that everyone wants to blame some third party.
If your are going to blame the dealership for selling to some squid,
you might as well blame Suzuki for building it. While you are at it
you should blame the government for allowing it to be imported.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "952"|1086734536 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

If salespeople were smart they would actually encourage to buy the smaller bike to start. That way once you outgrow it you will have a repeat customer that will come back and buy another.. where if you sell a busa to a new rider, yeah u made a sale and got your commision but he probably wont be coming back again for another bike.. ya know what i mean?

so u actually can sell more bikes and make more money that way by going the first route... they just dont realize that fact.

when i bought my 1100 i went through videos, reading materials and lectures all they way in the paking lot,as i was leaving. they closed.when i got the busa in alabama the only th9ing we talked about was extras and percentage rates.not even how much ins. would be.???

If salespeople were smart they would actually encourage to buy the smaller bike to start.  That way once you outgrow it you will have a repeat customer that will come back and buy another.. where if you sell a busa to a new rider, yeah u made a sale and got your commision but he probably wont be coming back again for another bike.. ya know what i mean?

so u actually can sell more bikes and make more money that way by going the first route... they just dont realize that fact.
sshhhhhhhshhh....I sell boats, and with out the "new boat 2 feet at a time" guys I'd be broke!! Don't give up all the secrets!!

not sure if u understood what i was getting at.. u sell a busa to a 20 year old he goes out and kills himself, he isnt coming back to buy another bike ever.. sell him a 600 then a year later a 1k u just sold 1 person 2 bikes in about a year... more money for u..

not sure if u understood what i was getting at.. u sell a busa to a 20 year old he goes out and kills himself, he isnt coming back to buy another bike ever.. sell him a 600 then a year later a 1k u just sold 1 person 2 bikes in about a year... more money for u..
sorry, brix, I was being a smartass. Lots of our customers "start small" and then upsize "2 feet at a time". You are so right...sell the new guy a 600 and he'll be back for a 750, 1000, 1300, etc....salemanship 101, in my book.

Heh, My Salesman spent a good 5 minutes out front of the dealership going over the controls with me before I headed out on my Brand new Busa. It was killing me because he really felt he had to go through the whole thing. Anyway, about half way through I ask him. "If I really needed this instruction, you would really just send me on my way?" He said "SURE!" I was dumbfounded.... It kills me that they will even sell you a bike without proof of a proper license... Personally, I would love to see some CC/Horsepower restrictions based on Age/Experiance... But mostly darnit "NO LICENSE, NO BIKE OVER 500CC's" That's pretty basic right?

I do wonder how some of these sales people scum bags sleep at night knowing full well that they are selling bikes to people they really shouldn't be...

Back