Handicapped parking ticket resolve

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
A month ago I recieved a parking ticket in my company's private business parking lot I felt was unfair. I was parked on the yellow lined zone next to a handicapped parking spot.... for 3 years.... WITH my HR departments full permission. $100. Another guy was parkign there also and was ticketed. Our third rider did not ride that day or he'd gotten one too. Bare in mind, I am NOT the kind of person that EVER parks in handicapped spots, EVER. I respect that need.

Anywho, I went to court for a few of reasons: 1 - I'd never been to court before and I would get to see the whole justice system in action up close for a $100 cover charge and 2 - I kept hearing if the Cop doesn't show, they dismiss it and 3 - if they're getting my rediculously unjustified $100 they are gonna all have to work for it.

While I sat there waiting for my hour late as usual "Trial" or judgement, I made a few observation: 1. When you wear a suit and tie, other think nothing of striking up a friendly conversation hoping for some free legal advice because they assume you are a lawyer. I dressed up just because I am a butt kisser
smile.gif
2. Criminals who are moved around in green numbered garb and full chains really are goods damaged by bad environment and bad parenting... one coming out of a recnt judgement said, and I quote, "F------ b---- is f----- out to f------- get me! She f------ set me the f--- up.... f--- her, f--- you, that f------ b----!" Not a great way to influence the court with THAT attitude. 3. NO WHERE did I EVER see long haired, skirt wearing model-like hotties with badges, lawyer briefcases or CSI gowns on. Is there a term for the brainwashign that goes on via television? I feel I was ripped off. There was one hottie near the desk when I paid my debt, but she was no model... just better looking than the rest of them... ok back on topic...

The DA tried to talk me into paying it becuase I had no defense and I asked where the police man was. He told me on the street but they would call him.
WHAT?
This is what I was waiting for and now you are gonna CALL HIM? ? Oh thanks. So they call him up to get the story and he explains to the DA that although he understands I was mislead by my superiors, it would be wrong to dismiss it since the OTHER guy already PAID his ticket as a sign of "Guilt".
WHAT?
He paid it becuase he didn't want any hassles. So now, I'm shot down because the OTHER GUY paid his fee already. NEWFLASH: Paying a ticket doesn't mean you are guilty, it means the waste of time to prove you are not guilty is not worth $100. So the DA says, "We can call the policeman in if you want to take it before a judge...."

WHAT? CALL HIM IN OFF THE STREET? ? ? What ever happened to that "NO SHOW DISMISSAL" thing?
sad.gif
[sigh]
ok, lets take it to the judge.... they call him up and bring him in.

to sum up... I was guilty and paid $117 in fines and fees... got my chance to have everyone HAVE TO listen to me so I feel better..

... the police no show auto dismissal thing does NOT always work. be warned.

...and I got out of work for half a day PAID, thanks to a nice, understanding boss.
biggrin.gif

balloons.JPG

what BS.....

totally not cool, bro. Sounds like "blanket justice" to me...

huh, am I on?
rock.gif
Sorry to hear that you had to pay for that ticket
sad.gif
, but I do dig the pic with The Busa & balloons
biggrin.gif

That police officer must have never owned a motorcycle before, I cannot see ever giving a motorcyclist a ticket except for blasting down a sub division or something.

I've got nothing against police - they've a tuff,ugly job - but I forgot mention the ONLY reason he was in the parking lot [can't be seen from the street] was a false 911 call from some other buisness in our building.

Oh well. It was an interesting ordeal and I got to see a $100 side show.
smile.gif

also, luckily, I was in another county at the time as POLK county has a 30% sur-charge on "Fines" or something?

WHAT? ?

For a $100 fine, they charge you 130? ? ? Why not just up the fine? IF I knew about that before hand, I'da paid the ticket and been done.... if it had applied to me

Our justice system is quote a bloated, confused farce. Taking the law into my own hands is looking like a best option lately

If you could get your HR department to have written that you had permission than I think you had a defense. You were on private property with permission to occupy. I think you got the short end. I know it's kind of d*ckish to Monday morning quarter back you, but, I would have looked up a case or 2 to use a presidence.

the yellow striped area is to allow for disabled persons to get out their wheelchair or other assisted walking devices. parking there is almost as bad as parking in the disabled parking spot. Imagine if you went out to your car and some guy parked right up next to your door, you know how hard it is to get in to your car with some idoit parked so close, now imagine trying to get into your car if you had a disability. And just because it is private property that doesn't mean that the laws don't apply. You got a ticket you deserve, those stripes are there fo a reason, its the law, they have to be there for the disabled.

That police officer must have never owned a motorcycle before, I cannot see ever giving a motorcyclist a ticket except for blasting down a sub division or something.
I'm a police officer.

I own a motorcycle.

I have a handicapped brother.

And I know WWJD.

That puts me in a unique position to speak with some authority on this matter, so I'll say this: despite that I wish my trackday friend wouldn't have gotten the ticket, I applaud him for owning up to it, paying his fine, and exercising his Constitutional right to see the matter through via our judicial system.

<shrug>

the yellow striped area is to allow for disabled persons to get out their wheelchair or other assisted walking devices. parking there is almost as bad as parking in the disabled parking spot. Imagine if you went out to your car and some guy parked right up next to your door, you know how hard it is to get in to your car with some idoit parked so close, now imagine trying to get into your car if you had a disability. And just because it is private property that doesn't mean that the laws don't apply. You got a ticket you deserve, those stripes are there fo a reason, its the law, they have to be there for the disabled.
[sigh] there's more to it than just that, our company has moved and reappointed various yellow zones that used to be handicapped parking is now visitor zones. we asked if it was okay, not knowing EXACTLY what yellow zones were good or bad... assumed wrongly the HR would set us up ok, they didn't, we have no handicapped on staff, we are not a publically open company. I have no problem paying the fine - would have been nice to get a 'warning' first ut what are ya gonna do? I would NEVER park knowingly in a handicapped spot - but I see cyclists park in yellow zones all the time. I hope they don't have to learn the hard way. I have no qualms with how it turned out, unfortunately, now my company will be removing those handicapped spots due to the fact we still have too many for our building. Bummer.

I had chosen to NOT involve the HR people with signed affidavits because I didn't want to make it any more complicated than it was starting to look. And she is such a nice little lady... the look of terror in her eyes... I just couldn't do it.
smile.gif
PLUS I wanted to offer to the court to pay my friends $100 fine to since he was merely following my practice that he deemed was okay since I had checked. I guess that's the whole story except for the large handicapped sticker that was stuck on my office and the black bars drawn on my windows!! hahahaa oh the mental pain.

So like I said:

I WOULD NEVER KNOWINGLY PARK IN PART OR ALL OF A HANDICAPPED SPACE. I don't do that kind of thing

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099525556 -->

I applaud him for owning up to it, paying his fine, and exercising his Constitutional right to see the matter through via our judicial system.
thanks. I bet I HYPOTHETICALLY deserve quite a few more tickets than this out in the back 40, so $100 seems like nothing.

**Note: the above statement is not an admissino of guilt and can not but utilized as evidence pruient to the laws of electronic publication and privacy act of Sub section ZX12R part GSX1138.2005

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099525869 -->

It seem's to me from the photo that you are either parked on the sidewalk or adjacent to it on the yellow stripes. Couldn't you have just parked on the sidewalk rather then on the stripes all this time?

JD - You got off light. I think a nice burning at the stake is in order...
wink.gif

And heck, if you were a bit quicker off the cuff, you probably could have covered your fine easily in quickie legal aid fees since your clients were seeking you out...
poke.gif
cool.gif

BAHAHAHAHAAA!!! You guys are KILLING ME! I needed the laff early this AM
smile.gif

Why
Waste
Jail
Days

I feel ya bro. I had an equally shitty courtroom drama involving a wheelie. The guy before me comes in one pant leg up, pants down, HAT ON!!!!! Leaning against the bench talkin all crazy, sayin he cant afford it, and the freakin judge lets him go. My turn, nice shirt, pants, tie, seat when told to be seated, speaking when allowed. Well presented case. Freakin cop lies on the stand, and the judge laughed at me.( yes I was riding a wheelie, but thats not the point)

So, next time you see a cop car parked on a highway to give tickets, or parked in the fire lane infront of a store. Stop and give hime a ticket. Fu&* em. I don't care if you write on a piece of paper "parking violation" and place it under their wiper. Damnit.

Back