Had a break in at the house tonight....

First off, glad no one got hurt - and glad you were able to show restraint. I know how violated you feel when someone breaks into your property, and how mad I'd be if I caught them in the act. Scumbag or not though, I'm sure none of us would actually want to take a life just over theft.

I am curious though, how does the law work in this case in Georgia. Here in CO we have a castle doctrine law, and we do not have a duty to retreat when attacked. The castle law is only when the person is in your "dwelling" though, not in your yard etc - so if they decided to run from your yard, one could not legally shoot the person then. Was he just in your yard, or in your dwelling when you apprehended him?

Of course I wouldn't have to worry about it - my 100 Lb Dogo Argentino does not like unwanted guests

100_0209.jpg

Locked doors are the only warning needed, he will not change, the only thing that may change is his mo next time he probably break into someones home armed with mask and duct tape. One between the eyes only way to change him.

Well, it`s quite different down here on the other side of big sea. I would be in jail if even point a gun to a burglar. Have to use baseball bat that nobody hears gun fire and sink the body on some lake. Though, i have a vicious cat, he bites trespassers in the foot if they come too close to my hayabusa.

Here in GA we have a law called the "no retreat law" which means that you have a right to protect your property and dwelling in the event a tresspasser or burglar attempts to harm you or your property. I could not legally shoot him in the back if he was trying to run, but I could shoot him anywhere on my property if he attacked me or I feared for my life. A warning shot is not a problem either as I was on my property and we are out in the country. Hell, I have a firing range in my backyard that I sight a rifle in on.

I did not want to kill the man, but I was not going to let him harm me or my family. When I approached him as he was trying to get in the house, my first question to him was "do you know what this is?". I was referring to the 9mm I had in my hand at chest level to ensure he knew I meant business. I think the only reason he did not run was not because of the gun, but because of the 80 pound doberman standing in the doorway watching him. I made sure he knew that I was military and could shoot, made sure he was aware of the dogs, made sure he knew I knew what the gun laws were and then that I meant it by firing a warning shot. He did have a folding knife on him, but I did not know that until the sheriff searched him. I am very grateful for my training as I kept about 10 feet from him and maintained sight and control 100% of the time. If he or his buddies decide to come back, it may not go as well, but I will be ready for them then too. Everything in the garage is insured, so I can deal with that. If they come armed, then there will be shots fired and I can only hope for the best and protect my way of life and family.

I don't think anyone would miss this POS other than his mother.

#6; enough to put someone down without killing them, won't normally go thru wall and hurt someone on other side, with enough scatter to ensure a good pattern/hit. Also light enough load not to knock wife over if she had to use it.

:thumbsup:
I actually prefer #4 shot 2.75" turkey loads but for the same reasons.
Most that promote shotguns also promote buck shot. Bad recipe for in home defense.

from my dunce stool via tapatalk

Buck shot kicks too hard, not enough pattern and can go thru a wall....

Shot in his general direction? Sounds like ya missed to me, shame on you. :lol:

Glad he's in jail again, and nothing got taken.

Droidy Droid

Here in GA we have a law called the "no retreat law" which means that you have a right to protect your property and dwelling in the event a tresspasser or burglar attempts to harm you or your property. I could not legally shoot him in the back if he was trying to run, but I could shoot him anywhere on my property if he attacked me or I feared for my life. A warning shot is not a problem either as I was on my property and we are out in the country. Hell, I have a firing range in my backyard that I sight a rifle in on.

I did not want to kill the man, but I was not going to let him harm me or my family. When I approached him as he was trying to get in the house, my first question to him was "do you know what this is?". I was referring to the 9mm I had in my hand at chest level to ensure he knew I meant business. I think the only reason he did not run was not because of the gun, but because of the 80 pound doberman standing in the doorway watching him. I made sure he knew that I was military and could shoot, made sure he was aware of the dogs, made sure he knew I knew what the gun laws were and then that I meant it by firing a warning shot. He did have a folding knife on him, but I did not know that until the sheriff searched him. I am very grateful for my training as I kept about 10 feet from him and maintained sight and control 100% of the time. If he or his buddies decide to come back, it may not go as well, but I will be ready for them then too. Everything in the garage is insured, so I can deal with that. If they come armed, then there will be shots fired and I can only hope for the best and protect my way of life and family.

I don't think anyone would miss this POS other than his mother.

I was not arguing with your actions, was more curious of the legalities there in GA and elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Shot in his general direction? Sounds like ya missed to me, shame on you. :lol:

Glad he's in jail again, and nothing got taken.

Droidy Droid

I did not want to kill him at that point, I wanted to make sure he knew I was serious. He was about 10 feet directly in front of me, so I fired the weapon upward at a 45 degree angle and slightly to the right which was aimed over wooded land. He got the point, and the rest is history. Trust me my friend, if I had wanted to kill him, he would be dead.

As far as a burglary goes though, this is the best case scenario. No one got hurt, nothing was stolen/damaged and the jackass got caught by the authorities.

I was not arguing with your actions, was more curious of the legalities there in GA and elsewhere. :thumbsup:

I understand and apologize if I came off like I was offended. I sometimes have trouble getting my thoughts down into text in the manner that I mean to. I am honestly not sure about the states near me, but I am 100% confident about the local GA laws. I read up on them even before moving to my current home so that I would know where the line is in case I was approaching it in a life and death situation.

Shotgun best home protection you can have....
when ur home yes but what about when ur not.... been to well over a hundred burglaries and I have NEVER been to a house that was burglarized when a large dog was present. Never once!

in fact, I tell people who have been burglarized that do not own a large dog to go out to Petco and buy two of the largest dog bowls one can find, fill one up half way with dog food and the other with water and then get large chain link dog collar like one you would see on a junk yard dog and place all of this at ur back door or garage or whatever with a sign that say "Beware of dog".

If the would be burglar sees all of this outside of the house they will move on to the next house cause they will just assume there is a Large dog inside the house or garage and will move on and take their chances elsewhere.

alarms and guns are a great asset but no substitute for a large dog for home protection. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the saying goes....

Back