Gauge Backlight Color Change, Cheap!

You can take the needles off on the gen1's for gauge overlays. But I have no idea for lighting.

No i go for desoldering the motors as gixerhp instructed me. You take off the needles and they will need to be recalibrated

Slight delay on starting this project. The leg hinders me more than i intended :-( i hate this stupid broken leg. I got my new soldering iron station and tips and such :cheerleader:

Just gotta get some supplies, flux, solder, wicking braid, alcohol to clean everything up. All that good stuff. I got on leave Nov 23rd for a week. Probably will get to my gauge cluster after that.

It seems very easy to get the needle motors off. Just 4 pins and a couple screws for each needle. So that will be very simple and invasive. Ill time myself in a few weeks when i do my own gauge, then ill be accepting anyones gauges. Im quite excited :thumbsup:

Its looking like the first weekend of December ill start taking gauges as long as all goes well actually doing this to my gauges (Dont want to sound unconfident, just pre-cautious) :thumbsup: Ill post a new thread of the job i did on my own gauge as well as the procedure and such. The board for the gauge cluster is pretty cool. I sat and stared at it for an hour :laugh:

definitly interested. let us see some pics after you get it all figured out and i'll decide then. good luck, and get well :beerchug:

Good luck to you Russell,maybe sending mine to you for it to be changed into red instead to match my Gi pro.

anymore word or pics???

Yes i have some pics of the practice board. Did not get to do my own board last weekend because UPS sucks. They said they delivered my package of my gauge LEDs but nothing was at the house. I dont know guess i need to reorder them. Im currently on leave in Florida and ill be back middle of next week. Hopefully doing my gauges next weekend to have pics.

Heres the pics i do have of the equipment i use and the practice board :thumbsup:. I circled all the LEDs in yellow. 30 in total. The red is a little dim but its still as bright as the other ones.

Gauge1.png

Gauge2.png

Gauge3.png

I think im just going to reorder the LEDs now. Cause i doubt they will find the package. Im worried the same thing is going to happen again. The site only offers UPS ground...

I think im just going to reorder the LEDs now. Cause i doubt they will find the package. Im worried the same thing is going to happen again. The site only offers UPS ground...

Sometimes I've had vendors ship through carriers of my choice. Not big on Brown neither! Very happy with USPS Priority.

I found another site to order them that ships usps and usps priority. I just gotta figure out how to make an account. Guess ill have to call them

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

hey man, try autolumination.com, top quality stuff, been using their stuff for years. i think they even have color changing LED's. that'd be a trip, 30 led's changing color at different times. that'd just be for bike night tho, lol. if we have a new overlay, can we send that to you as well for an added fee, just have the whole cluster redone?

hey man, try autolumination.com, top quality stuff, been using their stuff for years. i think they even have color changing LED's. that'd be a trip, 30 led's changing color at different times. that'd just be for bike night tho, lol. if we have a new overlay, can we send that to you as well for an added fee, just have the whole cluster redone?

Automlumination does not carry the surface mount LEDs that go on the gauge cluster but thanks! i do love that site, got my switchback LED turn signals from them.

What kind of gauge Overlay do you have? If it is illumiglo changing the backlight LEDs will not affect the color because the illumiglo ones block out the gauge LEDs. Now i could still change your clock and odometer LEDs which is 4 LEDs but as far as doing the other 26 LEDs i could do it but you wouldnt see it unless you got new gauge faces. I cannot remove the illumiglo because they stick to your original gauge faces. You would have to get new gauge faces which i actually know an awesome guy named Joe Kinikkin who has a website called webslinger who makes some awesome gauge faces. Very talented guy. Email him and have him make you something up
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...what-do-you-guys-think-these-gauge-faces.html
Once you like something he made, send him your gauges and he will change them out and send it back to you for 65 bucks. Very cheap for the work in my opinion and for the awesome stuff he makes.

Last edited:
he already has something for me, lol, i was asking if you could install it while the gauges were apart anyway. he designed my tattoo as well. which reminds me, i need to kick him some cash for that. anyway, another question, can you change the color of the gauge needles while it's apart?

he already has something for me, lol, i was asking if you could install it while the gauges were apart anyway. he designed my tattoo as well. which reminds me, i need to kick him some cash for that. anyway, another question, can you change the color of the gauge needles while it's apart?

I havent looked into changing the gauge needle color. The needles themselves are reddish. So probly would need to get a clear needle for them to be a different color.

But yes i could do the gauge while its apart still. Im not taking gauges yet til i do my own and all goes well which it should. just precautious.

I found a new supplier for my LEDs who uses USPS Priority :thumbsup: that means faster turnaround for the gauge clusters. :thumbsup: Just have to wait til my LEDs get in and see if they are as good as the other websites LEDs

is the needle red, or does it have a red film? i wanted white letters and white needles to go with the theme of the bike. and a red redline of course. how's your leg bud? i'm stuck in va for another 2 months waiting yet another MRI.

Back