Gauge Backlight Color Change, Cheap!

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Ok so as most of you may know from my thread and postings i have broke my leg bad. As some of you may not know, I am in Cali and just finished a Microminiature Circuit Board Repair Course tuaght by the Marine Corps. I am an 8641 Circuit Board Repair tech now added to my primary job of 2846. Link to my job that i am now certified for: Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions -- 8641 -- Microminiature Repairer

Before opting to do this course I wanted to change the backlight of my hayabusa gauges but not pay 115 bucks for bluegauges to do it. I am now thinking, once i do my gauges, if it is not too difficult, to offer my services to all the members of the Org for cheaper than bluegauges as a hobby while i have a broken leg or as long as people want it done. To my knowledge it is a total of 25 LEDs in the gauge (From memory i may be wrong, chime in if you know for sure). Now i bookmarked a link to surface mount LEDs that replace the ones in the gauges
eLED.com, your online source of LEDs. Products include: LED Lamp, LED Display. SMD LED, SMT LED, Surface Mount, Ultra Bright LED, White & Blue LED, Circuit Board Indicators, Dot Matrix Display, Light Pipe, IR & Phototransist www.dotcom-monitor.com
Yes those are green but they come in multiple colors, whichever you may want. I look at the brightness and go from there to determine which would be the best. I do not want to pay super cheap for them as i do not want cheap quality. For now I just want to know any org members currently that would be interested in me doing this for them. I will let you choose the color and before i did it show you the link to the LEDs i will get. If anyone knows a really nice surface mount LED supplier chime in :). Im going to buy 30 LEDs for each project in case they arrive to me broken. I figure you northern guys wont be riding much so this would be the best time to send the gauge cluster away if you want this done. A ball park figure for how much i will charge is 50-60 bucks and that will include return shipping to you guys. I dont want to make much money if at all on these, its just a service to give back to the org :thumbsup:. If by some miraculous act of God you gauge cluster is broken in my posession it will be my responsibility and i will replace it. I have obviously been trained on how to hand circuit cards, ESD, handling and all that stuff so i wont break you gauges I just say that to ease any kind of worry there might be.
As i said i have not decided to do this yet just want to see how much interest there would be if i did offer this service to you guys. Im shopping for a nice soldering iron kit with LED display with a bunch of tips and such so i have all the tools i need. I dont think my little cheap soldering iron is the best for this job, its easy but i still need the right tips for the iron. Most of the profit from these will pay the nice soldering iron kit off cause they arent cheap. So just let me know if anyone would be interested in this.

I think i may buy a cheap/broken gauge and use that first to see the difficulty of getting everything apart. I will be doing my gauges first and posting the pics before and after before i even start to do anyone's here on the Org. This thread is just to see if anyone is interested again. If you want to see my certificate of course completion the Marine Corps has given me i will be happy to show it to you. I think it would be cool to do something like this for the Org that i learn so much from.
I get back to NC friday. If i can get a dummy gauge cluster to work on ill probly attempt this in 2 weeks. Ill start offering this service after that depending on how many people want me to do it. Even if one person shows interest ill probly still do it. I want the nice soldering iron kit :thumbsup:, its useful to have.

Okay enough of me rambling :laugh:. let me know guys :thumbsup:

^^Note: If i happened to miss explaining anything above. Let me know. I was rambling alot and everything got deleted once so i tried to retype everything i said the first time. :laugh:

EDIT: Ahh im so stupid I forgot the most mandatory thing for the ORg! Pics! photos are the work i will be doing. photos borrow from bluegauges.com

130002_small.jpg

130011_small.jpg

130013_small.jpg

130003_small.jpg

I might be able to do mix/match color variations like bluegauges does also. Like i said its all about once i get inside a set of busa gauges to see what its like

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea, I'd take you up on it, but my gauges have been for a couple of years now. Some of the other members should jump on this.

Shouldn't be to much of a problem if you have a steady hand and keen eye.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I have done mine in blue,but sad to say its not at all perfect.The light in the centre that shows the time is not coming on and my mechanic says the old illumglow guage cant be removed if not will spoil the guage itself.

Let me know if you are able to help me solve this and a rough estimation of the cost.:beerchug:

I'll chime in regarding the LEDs. I run an electronics manufacting company. We use several mfrs of LEDs. I would look into either SunLED or Harvatek. Both are very good quality and very inexpensive. Remember blue is always going to be about 3 to 4 times more expensive to the gas type needed to produce the blue light. Let me know if you need nay more info or need me to see if I can get you some at my cost. I would need to know what size, what voltage and what color(s).

Last edited:
I'll chime in regarding the LEDs. I run an electronics manufacting company. We use several mfrs of LEDs. I would look into either SunLED or Harvatek. Both are very good quality and very inexpensive. Remember blue is always going to be about 3 to 4 times more expensive to the gas type needed to produce the blue light. Let me know if you need nay more info or need me to see if I can get you some at my cost. I would need to know what size, what voltage and what color(s).

Ill definitely look them up!

Im watching a few gauge clusters on ebay. Im gonna try to get on in the next week to play with. Ill post pics when i finish with my own then ill contact all the people interested in this :thumbsup:

I have done mine in blue,but sad to say its not at all perfect.The light in the centre that shows the time is not coming on and my mechanic says the old illumglow guage cant be removed if not will spoil the guage itself.

Let me know if you are able to help me solve this and a rough estimation of the cost.:beerchug:

PM sent

I am interested in this, but , may be after the first of the year before I can get it done. Looking forward to see how this turns out for ya.

How bout Gen 2 bikes? I bought a SMLED kit from e-gay and when I went to replace my LED's the needles would not come off. If you have a reliable way of doing it let me know you may have another customer soon. :beerchug:

How bout Gen 2 bikes? I bought a SMLED kit from e-gay and when I went to replace my LED's the needles would not come off. If you have a reliable way of doing it let me know you may have another customer soon. :beerchug:

Hmmm Well on Gen1s i have to desolder the motors for the actual gauges and not take off the needles because you will need to have them recalibrated if the needles are removed. I dont have a Gen2 gauges to practice on but Id be willing to take a look at yours in a few weeks. Id do it for way cheaper since it would be my first one and i could make instructions off of it. Ill ask a guy whose done gauges before also and see if the Gen2 is much different. There may be more LEDs but the basics in the gauges should be the same. In about 2 weeks when i start taking in gauges to do i will do yours if you want and we can work out something. Id like to do Gen2 gauges also just cant get ahold of one off ebay to play with for cheap like i did a Gen1

Just bought about 10 different types of LEDs to play with and test. UPS shipping tho so 6 days until i get it :-(

You can take the needles off on the gen1's for gauge overlays. But I have no idea for lighting.

Back