? for you guys with ram air seals....

I just bought a tube of GE silicone sealant at THD and sealed over everything. Tested ram air tubes and they held water so I'm sure they hold air. I sealed around the joint to the frame too. No difference you can notice. Maybe you can tell if you regularly do top speed runs.

Also., there is that grommet the side fairing projection inserts to. I tried putting the rubber from a well nut in there instead. The projection fits but not dead center so that is till a leak = I think the side fairing has a gap from the imperfect fitment of the projection. Cutting the projection off and patching the hole in the tube is the only sure way. Personally, I wouldn't bother with that unless you are a land speed racer. You'll always have that leak---which makes me wonder if it pays to bother with any of this mod unless you are willing to cut that projection off for a tiny improvement you can't feel.

If you go the cheap rout like I have, I'd suggest using some other type of silicone. Construction silicone is very hard to remove without a razor blade. I guess that may be considered a plus but I like to be able to easily reverse all my mods. If you go with silicone, use black. Clear is a whitish color. Also, try a cheaper brand than GE. It will be years before the bond loosens up enough to take off without scraping. A few strips of black vinyl wrap would work just as well for the seams in the ram air tubes and it would be easy to remove.

There are aftermarket ram air tubes that are one piece but I was advised against using them if I recall. I think the issue was the questionable R&D on that product.

My experience with using epoxy to repair cracked fairings along with the use of a piece of ABS plastic to bridge the crack is that the epoxy lets go after a few months. If you need to glue plastics togeter on the bike, I'd try silicone. I heard Goop adheres and seals very well and can be removed by grabbing with a needle nose pliers and rolling it off like jelly roll. I'd try that out first though.

here's links to my related tutorials
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/ram-air-tube-removal.178529/#post-3077832

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/how-to-seal-ram-air-tubes-gen-2.178598/#post-3082552

Last edited:
page not found.

The GE silicone I used years back is still hanging on but it would be esy to pull off at this point if I want to. I don't think it matters enough to bother with unless I remove my ram air tubes for some reason.

Ram air is air. 1340 cc of engine will take 1340 cc of air. You can try to stuff more in but it won't fit.

page not found.

The GE silicone I used years back is still hanging on but it would be esy to pull off at this point if I want to. I don't think it matters enough to bother with unless I remove my ram air tubes for some reason.

Ram air is air. 1340 cc of engine will take 1340 cc of air. You can try to stuff more in but it won't fit.
I have figured out how to stuff more air in mine... lol

Back